Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Habs | loss | Couldnt buy a goal, Carter sucks, Petry bad game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Friendly reminder from the Admins:

As we enter the home stretch and playoff season I just want to get a reminder through both to mods and posters in the team boards.

"If you troll an opponents or rival teams boards whether through posts, reacts or cross board quoting posts/cross board notifications, you will be warned and forum banned."

If we can be consitent on this, there will be zero tolerance on this because once one side does it the other side think they can too.

Any questions or querries, don't hesitaite to ask.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I'm sure someone in a post game interview said "we have to learn from it" again

For the millionth time

I find it hilarious that posters complain about what players say in the stupid post game interviews but they themselves say the same thing over and over again in every thread...simon sucks...zar sucks...carter sucks...Fire Sully...Fire Hextall.

What do you expect the players to say? And why care?

This messageboard....yikes.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I find it hilarious that posters complain about what players say in the stupid post game interviews but they themselves say the same thing over and over again in every thread...simon sucks...zar sucks...carter sucks...Fire Sully...Fire Hextall.

Genuinely curious though. What is your read on the game from your elevated in the room perspective?
In this one I imagine you cannot find great fault with favorite player, Letang or the PP that they can polute.

So maybe instead of telling people how to be fans, which of course you would never do, what are otherwise your take-aways from the game?

Last edited:

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I'm sure someone in a post game interview said "we have to learn from it" again

For the millionth time
Sully did lol. Zucker was pissed.

When Bonino is healthy...Carter needs to sit.
He won't be healthy until the playoffs, if we make it.

What's the point of discussing anything, anywhere? Most of the time you know what the answers are whether it be sports, politics, whatever. What's the point? Why are you even here?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Just here beating my why are we riding Jarry/CDS into a brick wall drum.

This is exactly what will happen to us in the playoffs unless we get lucky and one of our goalies goes on a hot streak. We'll out shoot, get more high danger chances, have more O zone time and still lose.
Jarry in a rolling 5 game window save percentage is 83.1% good job Hextall, great decision to burn any chance this team has on actually winning a playoff series.
I don't have the energy to actually confirm this, but I'd hazard that Jarry's save percentage since back from injury is the worst in the NHL for a starter over that same span of time.

but everyone go ahead and chant about Sullivan's coaching and how much carter sucks (he does) or how petry had a bad game, etc, etc.

Your goalie is allowed to save some difficult ones. This is the NHL, each team is trying to break down the other to get golden scoring chances. simplistically you are trying to have more of those then the other team because almost every time you have significantly more you win. Except when your goalie can't stop a beach ball...

Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Genuinely curious though. What is your read on the game from your elevated in the room perspective?
In this one I imagine you cannot find great fault with favorite player, Letang or the PP that they can polute.

So maybe instead of telling people how to be fans, which of course you would never do, what are otherwise your take-aways from the game?

"Something-something amateurish and short-sighted"

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

Sorry for the lack of depth to my analysis but this game just came down to goaltending.

I will say everyone wants Sullivan to "try something", "make changes", etc. Well he did throughout the lineup.
Our new defensive pairs looked lost. Tried against a crappy team which makes sense.

But I say to the keyboard experts be careful for what you wish for. The changes were the #2nd determining factor in last night's loss. The lazy way is just blaming Carter.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This team seems to play well against good teams.

They ultimately stab themselves in the foot, but it would not surprise me if we took the Bruins to 6 or 7.
What? No they don’t…go look at their record against PO teams…it’s only decent against NYR and Tampa…

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Funnily enough the Pens did lots of things right offensively (like Letang giving good passes for one-timers for a change, Guentzel showing shades of 2019 Guentzel) but the lackadaisical attitude towards defense is inexcusable. You are up 2-0 early on, then of course you play your ECHL, I mean, 4th line, and of course the defensive pairing also makes an amateur mistake to gift the opponent a goal. Then you give up another dumb goal because your top line has no defensive structure either and your goalie kind of sucks in this game. Then you kill off a penalty but once again, the defensive coverage is non-existent because your two veteran defensemen love going behind the net at the same time and your "defensive forwards" love covering nobody.

Yeah, sure, with a bit of luck this game could have easily ended with a Pens win but you can't defend like that and expect anything good in today's NHL unless your goalie is elite. Even then you can't expect much (see the Islanders after Trotz left). Carter is appalling for sure but Petry can't be making this kind of rookie errors. Maybe he is nervous against his former team. You get to the third period with the game tied despite not bothering to play any defense, your opponent is tired and tanking, you have all the momentum - and yet you not only allow a goal but the shots in the third at one point were 6-2 Habs, I believe. This is a recurring problem - great 1st or 2nd period, at least in terms of possession and chances, if not actual goals, followed by being outscored, if not always outplayed in the third. We improved vastly on our play in OTs lately, would be nice if the 3rd period collapse weren't so common.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Carter and Jarry with obvious minuses. But Granlund is also looking very weak to me. He is misplaying pucks, moving slowly, etc. Not liking him at all so far.
sadly, when we get new players sometimes it takes a while before they start to fit. if they ever do.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean to be clear Carter's ineptitude in this one (and in general) is just kind of hilarious/pathetic. The game itself really came down to the guy in net crapping his crease. I don't often blame the goaltender since they are very often such products of their team but man was Jarry bad in this one.

EDIT: With a healthy side of that Dumo/Petry abomination.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
When Poehling comes back, if he is inserted into the lineup over anyone that isn't Carter, a Pens reporter needs to flat-out call Sullivan out on it.

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Gotta love having an empty net and trying 2 backdoor passes that weren't there and 0 getting the puck on net and using your numbers advantage down low.
Jarry really f***ed us on that play.

When Poehling comes back, if he is inserted into the lineup over anyone that isn't Carter, a Pens reporter needs to flat-out call Sullivan out on it.
Lol a Pens media dipshit calling Sullivan on his bs? That will draw the ire of Brian Burke. They'd rather you focused on the scapegoat "Sleepy" instead.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

this will be fruitless lol…

Sullivan’s response: “He’s an important part of our PK and takes right handed face offs , which can be important in many situations. He’s also a great leader and respected voice in the room. He’s been successful at the highest level of hockey and won some Cups.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad