Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Devils | loss | Special teams? I think you mean pathetic teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Coach takes Rakell off the pp unit.

To you, that’s Rakell’s fault? Because that’s how you make it sound. This is all on the coach. He’s been doing this stupid usage bullshit for a long time and now it’s finally biting him in the ass hard and he can’t think his way out of it and it shows. He’s going back and forth between two options because he can’t see past those two options.

That.
Is.
A.
Problem.

And that’s all on the coach.

Rakell was on the top powerplay unit for a huge majority of the time. Yes, there was a stretch where Rust was on the top PP unit over him, but that was only 1 or 2 of their 9 total powerplays.

The powerplay didn't go 0-9 because Sullivan decided to use Rust on the top unit. It went 0-9 regardless of whether Rakell or Rust was there. Either Letang is vitally important to that powerplay or the players just had a shit game on the powerplay. Based on what I saw, it's much more of the 2nd.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If we get a top ten first round pick in this draft it could do a lot. If it's top five we probably extend our window a few extra years.
Not if Sullivan is still here.

Gotta learn to grind on the 4th line with 5mins of ice time for the first few seasons mate.

Reactions: Pens x

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I forgot how stupid this website gets anytime this team faces any adversity. Not going to waste my time arguing with clearly irrational people.

The powerplay was working for the last month, and then laid an egg all of a sudden. Blame the players? No, it's obviously the coach's fault that the powerplay went 0-9 in a game!

Either Letang is godly important to the powerplay or the powerplay just laid an egg today.
Laid an egg, we have sucked this bad even with Letang.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Smith looked like he fit in the NHL, so it's good to have someone in the A who can step in and be competent. And while he looked comfortable on the PP, he obviously wasn't much of a difference maker. If he had more time, he might be more of a catalyst, but 58 is day to day, so I don't think he'll be in the lineup for long.

GregR

Mar 4, 2002
Jake Guentzel has turned into a real sack of crap. What he did on that Hamilton goal was amazingly heinous.

Reactions: BillyOcean

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
This is the biggest bullshit excuse fans are peddling in the world.

The coach can make adjustments. The Islanders and Bruins are somehow fine. Capitals are fine.

It's bullshit. Our coach sucks.
The Islanders and Bruins are faster than the Penguins. The Capitals have shown the same inconsistencies as the Pens and just happen to be on a heater now.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I forgot how stupid this website gets anytime this team faces any adversity. Not going to waste my time arguing with clearly irrational people.

The powerplay was working for the last month, and then laid an egg all of a sudden. Blame the players? No, it's obviously the coach's fault that the powerplay went 0-9 in a game!

Either Letang is godly important to the powerplay or the powerplay just laid an egg today.
It really wasn't working that well. Puck luck, random goals at the end of power plays, etc. There was hardly a time when it looked like a sustained threat to score consistently. You basically still expected it to fail and it didn't pass the eye test. Tonight's 0-9 performance was fully expected.

Reactions: vodeni

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Rakell was on the top powerplay unit for a huge majority of the time. Yes, there was a stretch where Rust was on the top PP unit over him, but that was only 1 or 2 of their 9 total powerplays.

The powerplay didn't go 0-9 because Sullivan decided to use Rust on the top unit. It went 0-9 regardless of whether Rakell or Rust was there. Either Letang is vitally important to that powerplay or the players just had a shit game on the powerplay. Based on what I saw, it's much more of the 2nd.

Why not move Guentzel?

Why not change up Sid or Malkin for Zucker?

You know it's okay for the coaching staff to get creative. Jersey threw their lines in the blender tonight. Their coach sucks ass. Sullivan got out coached by Gallant who is a total dumbass in a playoff series.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Islanders and Bruins are faster than the Penguins. The Capitals have shown the same inconsistencies as the Pens and just happen to be on a heater now.

No they aren't. They play faster. Our team has way more speed than both of those teams.

Watch some other teams and listen to some other media and you'll grasp that Sullivan ain't special.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jesus Christ, how the f*** do we still have Sullivan apologists here?

How?!

Saying the players had a shit game =/= defending Sullivan.

Him switching Smith and Rakell for POJ and Rust directly led to the game winning goal by the Devils. However, that doesn't magically erase the fact that the big guns had absolute shit games that led to going 0-9 on the powerplay.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The reality is that the coaching staff *and* roster are huge problems. Lack of adjustments or preparation (still don't know if I buy the second part) from the guys behind the bench, and a few too many lackluster depth guys and aging core pieces, coupled with meh goaltending on any given night. Oh well. Team was dead in the water, but the lack of any kind of entertainment night in and night out sucks shit about a million times worse than any specific factor at play.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

Well when Rust was on the PP it couldn’t even maintain possession because they cant win a board battle to save their lives. When Rackell was on the powerplay they were being dumb and passing up shots for east/west plays that were inevitably intercepted.

Which would you rather have? Because to me, 2 weaklings in Rust and Jake on PP1 is one too many weaklings.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
A lot of teams would be rushing to sign him if hes let go

Hes a Cup winning coach
Yeah and that’s fine. A coach can also go stale with one team and still go elsewhere and succeed. That’s the nature of the business. That’s literally Rakell on this team as well, rebounded with a new team.

Sullivan will rebound. But on this team, his voice has gone stale. He’s not able to look past his own stick to the game plan bullshit and has no real ideas to fix anything outside of trying the same old shit over and over again.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Jesus Christ, how the f*** do we still have Sullivan apologists here?

How?!
Even if you thought it was all the players that sucked....the way it works in sports is you can the coach and start fresh to see if you can rejuvenate the group you have.

There's no downside to it. Either the team responds and gets better. Or they tank and you draft high.

metalan2

May 30, 2008

Again, the "good month" was the anomaly on the pp, and this is their norm. I would be willing to bet it's bottom of the league by years end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad