Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Devil| loss | Be nice if our bottom 6 was even close to useful

Who is worst:

• Total voters

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
A good coach would utilize the player who can provide top pairing results over him and give him time to find his game.

Instead our coach just ices the same lineup and players every night and suddenly expects things to change.

It’s absurd.
Here's the thing...

Petry played just 90 seconds fewer than Letang tonight. So it's not like Petry is being buried, and I'm not sure I want him playing more than 24-25 minutes a game. The only change would be on the power play, and the Penguins' best stretch on the PP was with Letang on it.

So, I hear you. Petry's fine. But I don't think you'd see much of a change if they reversed roles because they're both already playing a lot.

Reactions: Shady Machine

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I want them to tank hard and build through the draft again.

I'd rather shoot for the moon in this draft then draw Boston or one of these young fast teams as a traveling WC this year. This team, as constructed, doesn't stand a snowball's chance in the playoffs.

FWIW Mears said we're on an 0-9 streak against Metro opponents. That number feels light.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Mike Sullivan is so bad at coaching.

Jeff Carter is so bad at everything except maybe faceoffs.

Kris Letang has an IQ lower than Brian Dumoulin's uniform number.

POJ is hopeless in his own zone.

Teddy Bleuger needs an exorcist. And, with Kapanen, a change of scenery.
Jeff is also apparently good at banging teammates wives

Reactions: bomber22 and Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
So, in no particular order, these are the biggest issues with the team--ranging from *f***ing glaring* to just serious:

- Sullivan and the coaching staff
- The entire bottom-6, to a man
- Rust
- Pretty much every blueliner
- Double minus for Letang
- Double minus for Dumo
- POJ had a swell like 25-30 games but he's back to being Ruhwedel-esque out there
- Goaltending situation (Jarry's durability, CDS is a headcase, the rest are AHL fodder at best)
- Prospect pool is f***ing barren
- Organization has blinders on for pretty much every one of these issues

Lookin' good for the future.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
There are a multitude of issues with this team, despite what the voices in pixies' head tell him.
Literally everyone knows this.
But saying that there are many issues does not change that there is a hierachy of them, and some minor ones can/could be fixed by handling the most glaring.

New coach has to be top of that list. Because he has nothing left. No ideas. No inspiration. No adjustments.

Sure, he also dont have many options, but he has shown very clearly that he is loath to try any when he has them either.

Our top6 is not bad. It is even good. But it is all down to individual ability.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Dude's lost his marbles.

Which games have they been good?

Practices maybe...but I don't recall a game this year beyond the first...6? Where the bottom 6 looked like anything more than wasted ice time. The signings down there were bad they day they were inked. The defense is also not all it's supposed to be either. Letang has had a bad year. Petry hasn't been as advertised if you're objective. Dumo stinks, Ruh stinks - and Rutta is a nothing. We have Petts and POJ looking okay most nights and bad other nights. The only bright spots the entire year have been a hot top 4 F and like 8 games of Jarry.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'd rather shoot for the moon in this draft then draw Boston or one of these young fast teams as a traveling WC this year. This team, as constructed, doesn't stand a snowball's chance in the playoffs.

FWIW Mears said we're on an 0-9 streak against Metro opponents. That number feels light.
0-8 I just looked. We beat NYR or it would be 0-9.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I still think you guys are weird for watching the post game presser with Sully, expecting some kind of insight or revelation or tough, honest truths. Couldn't even fathom giving a f*** what a coach has to say after a win or a loss, let alone one that's about 3 years beyond his expiration date--with another, what, 4 years under contract after this one?

Eventually something has to give, would love to see it be Sully going scorched Earth ala Torts in hia presser

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Literally everyone knows this.
But saying that there are many issues does not change that there is a hierachy of them, and some minor ones can/could be fixed by handling the most glaring.

New coach has to be top of that list. Because he has nothing left. No ideas. No inspiration. No adjustments.

Sure, he also dont have many options, but he has shown very clearly that he is loath to try any when he has them either.

Our top6 is not bad. It is even good. But it is all down to individual ability.
Yeah, we agree. Sullivan is a huge problem. I've been questioning his coaching since the Isles sweep and outright asking for him to be replaced since the Habs play-in. It's not happening. The team just gave him a new extension two years before his *current* deal was up, mere weeks after he lead his team to their fourth consecutive 1st round exit. I don't know how that's even possible, but it happened, and he is here to stay. :laugh: I imagine every single avenue short of trading Sidney Crosby will be exhausted before the organization parts with their golden calf. It sucks, but that's the reality of Sullivan's situation. :laugh:

-edit- It's the easiest, and simplest move if you're looking to try and change repeated results. And they still can't, and won't do it. I'm still astonished that they couldn't even wait out his current deal before extending him, they simply *had* to give him a new contract last spring. :laugh: Bonkers shit.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Which games have they been good?

Practices maybe...but I don't recall a game this year beyond the first...6? Where the bottom 6 looked like anything more than wasted ice time. The signings down there were bad they day they were inked. The defense is also not all it's supposed to be either. Letang has had a bad year. Petry hasn't been as advertised if you're objective. Dumo stinks, Ruh stinks - and Rutta is a nothing. We have Petts and POJ looking okay most nights and bad other nights. The only bright spots the entire year have been a hot top 4 F and like 8 games of Jarry.
In fairness he didn’t say they have had good games, he just said “moments”

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I still think you guys are weird for watching the post game presser with Sully, expecting some kind of insight or revelation or tough, honest truths. Couldn't even fathom giving a f*** what a coach has to say after a win or a loss, let alone one that's about 3 years beyond his expiration date--with another, what, 4 years under contract after this one?

Because the only enjoyment we get is making fun of Sally.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Sullivan isn't going to publicly rip the third line even if they deserve it.

I think that's fine. I wouldn't expect him to really dig in on that. That's the FO's job. They should be walking on egg shells but instead they gave Carter a NMC and Kappy and Blueger for whatever reason have been safe here. When you start adding the money down there it gets depressing.

Reactions: Pancakes

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Sullivan isn't going to publicly rip the third line even if they deserve it.
Absolutely true. In fact, I don't really recall him ever really ripping anyone, no matter how frustrated he was. Usually he depicts it as "working with Player X to find his game."

This almost comes off as he's frustrated with more than the third line but doesn't like any of his other options on the current roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad