Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Caps | win | Geno redemption goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I was going to say that being tops in giveaways is a stat that reveals you to be one of the best offensive players in the game lol

I think it’s more that you possess the puck a lot, but it seems like a weird stat to bring up and I’m not even sure why we are discrediting Malkin as he has had a fantastic season.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think it’s more that you possess the puck a lot, but it seems like a weird stat to bring up and I’m not even sure why we are discrediting Malkin as he has had a fantastic season.

Weird, isn't it? I know the Malkin ballwasher types get old but it seems bizarre to me for fans to have to step up and defend a HOFer having a terrific season late in his career from... uh... other Penguin fans.

Oh and now the coach, I guess. Neat!

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Well it involves a lot of Jeff Carter.. and Kris Letang slapping the puck indescriminately as hard as he can somewhere no matter the direction. Also POJ is there.. not knowing where to be.

Recipe for disaster: giving 24+ minutes of ice time to a D pairing where KRIS LETANG is the "brainy" one. We need to get back some healthy D-men ASAP.

On the bright side, Taylor Fedun hasn't been a disaster but nobody in their right mind wants him getting any more ice time than he already has to.

Reactions: Andy99

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
Just finished watching the whole game. Nice work NHL, bravo!!! 2 BS penalty on the Pens that cost them 2 goals. Dowd punched Malkin first and he got punched by Dowd and Wilson afterwards. Mantha blew a tire, such a BS penalty as well on Poehling. I freaking hate this new NHL, just to make sure people are kept in their seat until the buzzer, just to make it a close game. At least they didn't call the delay of game penalty on Poehling at the end, but the refs already made some damage in this game. With such a crucial game, it's terrible.

Reactions: metalan2 and Andy99

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I talked about this all season long. Glad Geno brought it up and one of the reporters asked Sully by quoting Geno. The problem is not that they pulled back a little bit with the lead. The problem is that they have no f***ing clue what to do then. I said so many times especially when the cameras show that angle: They just stand on that blue line in triangle but not doing much, almost like on the power play and let any good puck handler just weave through them and establish the zone time, after that our forwards are not pressing high, collapsing down and of course they are not good infront of the net, they are not great behind the goal etc...That wall in NZ should be higher and the pressure on the puck carrier should be deeper, the forwards should be more agressive, but they either don't have those kind of players or they just don't practice that...
One of the biggest issues with this team's attempts to play "shutdown defense" when holding a lead is they give up their own blueline way too easily. Sullivan's got them worrying about how they should be positioned when already in the D-zone when in fact the best teams shut the opposing team down in the NEUTRAL ZONE before even entering the zone.

Our neutral zone defense is horrendous. Forwards don't provide back support, defense doesn't stand guys up and readily backs up and lets the opposition enter the zone without resistance, etc. And it happens time and time again, so clearly Sullivan's not telling them to do anything different.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
One of the biggest issues with this team's attempts to play "shutdown defense" when holding a lead is they give up their own blueline way too easily. Sullivan's got them worrying about how they should be positioned when already in the D-zone when in fact the best teams shut the opposing team down in the NEUTRAL ZONE before even entering the zone.

Our neutral zone defense is horrendous. Forwards don't provide back support, defense doesn't stand guys up and readily backs up and lets the opposition enter the zone without resistance, etc. And it happens time and time again, so clearly Sullivan's not telling them to do anything different.

Once again. Another thing you have to coach for. We don’t have the horses to play a shut down D and using GCR with Dumo - Letang inevitably always burns us.

Either layer Sid with like Poehling and DOC or just focus on pushing the puck rather than trapping.

Having Bones back will help us with the current set up to a degree.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Nothing said negative about Letang or other players in the third period or CDS couple bad goals, but when asked about Malkin’s game winner, the coach had to go out of his way to say this: “He does some things out there, especially on the offensive side of the puck, that most players can't do. He also has moments without the puck where we'd like him to buy into the team concept, so to speak.”

lol, I wonder if this was in response to reporters telling him Malkin’s comments after the game about why they blow third period leads and him answering that it’s because they start playing too passive too early lol
That was a great defensive play by Malkin on the game winner.

Sullsma was butthurt by the quote for sure, look for Geno’s icetime to be reduced shortly.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Once again. Another thing you have to coach for. We don’t have the horses to play a shut down D and using GCR with Dumo - Letang inevitably always burns us.

Either layer Sid with like Poehling and DOC or just focus on pushing the puck rather than trapping.

Having Bones back will help us with the current set up to a degree.
Are you trying to say Sullivan tries to make teams play a certain way instead of adapting to what the actual strengths of his current roster are? Impossible! I've been told numerous times coaches have almost no impact on the results.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
This is the exact reason Ron Hextall cannot be this teams General Manager next season. You see what it means to Sid and Geno… how much these guys want to win one last time, and you have to have a guy at the head of the ship who is willing to be aggressive and make moves to get guys in here who can help. I’m talking impact moves, not Mikail Granlund and Dimitry freakin Kulikov. This organization owes it to the core to get a guy who will take the risk that could put this team back in contention.
why take the risk when the coach wont play them?

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Then proceeded to swoon over Chad Ruhwedel for 2 minutes. Team needs a coaching change so badly.

Sully is walking embodiment of roster / youth mismanagement...

2 more for Kap last night...
McCann...

Odd how most of our Players leave and are really productive.... If they keep Hex/Sully this summer, we'll submarine the rest of this roster.

Last edited:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

McCann...

Odd how most of our Players leave and are really productive.... If they keep Hex/Sully this summer, I we'll submarine the rest of this roster.
Probably stuck with Sullivan for awhile. He's under contract for 4 more seasons.

metalan2

May 30, 2008

McCann...

Odd how most of our Players leave and are really productive.... If they keep Hex/Sully this summer, I we'll submarine the rest of this roster.
I have a feeling it will be like the last year of Mike Johnston. Make the playoffs by one point, start of next year awful, fire coach, and go on run for 4th and final cup.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I missed it. What did he say?
"Malkin does things, especially on the offensive side (visibly starts smirking) that most players can't do. He also has moments without the puck (continues to smirk, now more smugly) where we'd like him to buy more into the team concept, so to speak".

He then went on a 2 minute rant about how Chad Ruhwedel works really hard and everyone loves him in the locker room.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
"Malkin does things, especially on the offensive side (visibly starts smirking) that most players can't do. He also has moments without the puck (continues to smirk, now more smugly) where we'd like him to buy more into the team concept, so to speak".

He then went on a 2 minute rant about how Chad Ruhwedel works really hard and everyone loves him in the locker room.
seems he would rather lose playing his way than winning when a player takes things into his own hands. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad