Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Bruins: Jekyll and Hyde win

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The point still stands: goal differential isn’t telling you much in this case as opposed to the ROW….
We'll see if it's still standing at the end of the year because my point is over the course of a full season it will even out.

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
See, the reason i hate all the "TEH CULTURE SUX" posts is because Sid is the culture and he's not out there loafing. Some of the team sucks. The goalies are not ... great. Our 3rd pair not great. Bottom 6 isn't amazing. But Sid and the culture are fine.

I think people are confusing "coaching decisions" with culture

Sid "loafs" more than the media let's on, but they deep gargle his bollocks so he appears like he's never having a bad game. Where as Malkin can't have 1 bad shift in a great game without being called out for it.

The amount of dipshit passes to nowhere or turnovers by Sid is apparently not allowed to be mentioned.

We have like the 6th most difficult remaining schedule in the league. Luckily the Devils' and Caps' schedule is even worse.

Minimal margin for error.
I hope the Pens fail miserably to see what the excuses are by Dubasshole and dipshit Sully.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Sid "loafs" more than the media let's on, but they deep gargle his bollocks so he appears like he's never having a bad game. Where as Malkin can't have 1 bad shift in a great game without being called out for it.

The amount of dipshit passes to nowhere or turnovers by Sid is apparently not allowed to be mentioned.

I hope the Pens fail miserably to see what the excuses are by Dubasshole and dipshit Sully.
Your tales are so good. Jarry has never let in a bad goal and Sid is a turnover machine that is protected by big media.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
We have like the 6th most difficult remaining schedule in the league. Luckily the Devils' and Caps' schedule is even worse.

Has anyone actually measured schedule strength with regard to results generated for the NHL?

I mean, I can see this argument for football - both in guessing outcomes and measuring seasonal success... but yeah I'm not sure about it in the NHL.

....especially with this team. This same team lost to Columbus and Chicago not 7 months ago (8?) back to back wherein both games had everything riding on them. Incentive was there. Weak ass teams. Both teams were objectively trying to lose.... whatever.

Reactions: Smasher

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So glad that our expert coach and former barely NHL player that we have signed to forever is getting his mitts on Smith’s and EK’s game…they’re both well below their career averages during healthy seasons but he knows best how to tweak their games….now we have to talk about trading them again while he probably gets another three year extension

Reactions: vikingGoalie

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

I'm sure all Metro opponents have a difficult rest of season because they will be playing each other a lot.

I'm not a believer in strength of schedule as a predictor. All I know is the Penguins have 45 games to net like 4 or 6 points against the group they're in.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So glad that our expert coach and former barely NHL player that we have signed to forever is getting his mitts on Smith’s and EK’s game…they’re both well below their career averages during healthy seasons but he knows best how to tweak their games….now we have to talk about trading them again while he probably gets another three year extension

There comes a point where finding something to whinge about every page in a post-victory thread over the league's best team when the team is 7-2-1 in their last 10 is just obnoxious. If you want an audience while you dig up every possible point of pessimism, go talk to a mirror.

Also digging on a coach for their playing career is just moronic. Neither Johnson or Bowman even reached the NHL. Playing talent does not correlate to coaching talent.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There comes a point where finding something to whinge about every page in a post-victory thread over the league's best team when the team is 7-2-1 in their last 10 is just obnoxious. If you want an audience while you dig up every possible point of pessimism, go talk to a mirror.

Also digging on a coach for their playing career is just moronic. Neither Johnson or Bowman even reached the NHL. Playing talent does not correlate to coaching talent.
Ok. I’ll put it in the Salary Cap thread…

Reactions: Al Smith and Peat

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Here's POJ on the "great play" which led to the Eller goal.

If Graves made a pass that risky, people would be shitting all over him no matter how lucky the outcome was.

That POJ pass should have been enough to get him benched. Wide open lane near the boards, Pusy open, yet he makes a low percentage play that had a high chance of causing a 3 on 0 rush the other way. Poor vision, poor decision making, just a stupid pass. Of course Karlsson was ready to take the pass, didn't even try to look like he would defend a turnover.

Reactions: Victor Z

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm sure all Metro opponents have a difficult rest of season because they will be playing each other a lot.

I'm not a believer in strength of schedule as a predictor. All I know is the Penguins have 45 games to net like 4 or 6 points against the group they're in.
Agreed. It doesn't really matter until you have 5-6 games left and the WC slots of open to 4-5 teams.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Out of curiosity, where did you find the numbers?

I'm mostly wondering just how much of it is "have fun playing each other Metro".

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Not too concerned about any rank like that that isn't in the top 3 or something. Pens are gonna have to beat some metro teams, that was always true.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think one thing to remember too when prognosticating about what it will take to make the playoffs is the Metro is unusually tight this year.

It may take less points than it has in the past to get into the playoffs given how tight the standings are.

So saying oh the Pens need 95 or 100 or whatever points...they might not end up needing that since the bottom of the standings aren't as bad this year in the east.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I think one thing to remember too when prognosticating about what it will take to make the playoffs is the Metro is unusually tight this year.

It may take less points than it has in the past to get into the playoffs given how tight the standings are.

So saying oh the Pens need 95 or 100 or whatever points...they might not end up needing that since the bottom of the standings aren't as bad this year in the east.
The big thing will just be winning divisional games. I agree that the points won't be outrageous to make it, but we have to win most of our remaining '4 point' games.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The big thing will just be winning divisional games. I agree that the points won't be outrageous to make it, but we have to win most of our remaining '4 point' games.
We certainly can't afford to do what we did last year and lose all these divisional games.

Can drop an occasional one but losing most of those would be a likely death sentence to our playoff hopes.

Beating the Isles 2x was huge. If I'm not mistaken last year we pulled an 0fer against them or close to it. Ditto NJ, ditto Carolina. We mighta got some otl points, but our record was awful overall.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

metalan2

May 30, 2008
We certainly can't afford to do what we did last year and lose all these divisional games.

Can drop an occasional one but losing most of those would be a likely death sentence to our playoff hopes.

Beating the Isles 2x was huge. If I'm not mistaken last year we pulled an 0fer against them or close to it. Ditto NJ, ditto Carolina. We mighta got some otl points, but our record was awful overall.
0-12 against them. Already have 3 wins vs them this year.

Reactions: Pancakes

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
0-12 against them. Already have 3 wins vs them this year.
We need to solve the Devils, but that may take a significant upgrade in speed and stamina. Last 6 games against them are losses, outscored 27-9, including 8-2 in the third period. We did get one point out of those six losses, so there's that.

At least we beat the Canes this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad