Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Bruins: Jekyll and Hyde win

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Every team wants young assets.

For the Pens there's really no tomorrow so I'd rather get old guys who are still good for cheap than waste draft capital on young players.
So, essentially you wanna put good money after bad? This is not a cup contender. Not by any stretch. They'll tease us, but ultimately will fail.

They're most certainly is a tomorrow. Just with largely a different cast of characters.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
+ I think Carter honestly has had a good season for this team. With primary 4th line, PK, and second PP minutes, hes produced admirably and hasn't been glaringly awful. I do like the combination of Carter and Acciari.

+DOC has developed a hockey IQ over the last 5 games or so. I'm hoping a flip switched because this is the best he's looked in his career.

-Rust has been invisible. Is he still hurt?

-Ned was bad. Malkin was bad.

-Smith actively hurts his line when he's not scoring. He's a perfect trade candidate. Put DOC with Rust and Malkin or find a fit at the deadline.

+ I don't care how much I hate Ruhwedel or if Graves is getting overpaid for a third pairing role, if that duo works or at least allows the other pairings to flourish, I'm for it.

+ POJ actually looked solid. His play to get the puck in the zone and quick puck movement was instrumental and difficult and led to the Eller goal.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Ryan Graves is a negative drag on Sid and Geno in terms of both actual and expected goals. And not in a "they still kick ass, just not as much" way, but in a taking Sid down to break even and Geno to 41%. He's also a considerable drag on Letang's and Karlsson's expected numbers, and a colossal one on Karlsson's actual numbers (although Letang remains nearly the same).

While this is the case then he is a problem as long as he is slotted into a top 4 role.

He's also incidentally the leakiest (possibly coincidentally) of our core PKing dmen. His high +/- seems to be a symptom of being on ice for a lot of SH and EN goals rather than being a strong asset elsewhere.

He is bizarrely effective in the garbage deployments, but if this team could find a way to get him out of the top 4 and into being the lynchpin of the 3rd pairing, it would be huge.
Never liked the signing to begin with. Then again I never saw him more as a #5D, but we decided he needed to be signed forever as though he's a mainstay top four guy.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bottom paragraph sounds like DK making up shit to generate drama.
The irony of DK acting like the Pickett stuff was blown out of proportion then makes up shit about this.

Jarry's stats - if Kyle were to move him, would be so idiotically irresponsible when every metric backs that Jarry is not remotely the issue. So DK can suck his initials with the addition of IC in the middle.

He's pushing Mario vs FSG stuff, too.
It's a full circle moment. The media and the ownership are f***ing jokes.

Like how the f*** did we get stuck with Madden, DK, Rossi, and Yohe. That is just cruel. That's like having Jack Edwards and all of his clones in the rest of the media department.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The problem is he's a non-starter with the puck on his stick and it makes it harder for everyone because they never receive a good pass from him. He's fine defensively, but he makes it so much harder to generate offense and keep the puck.
Weird how last year in NJ their offense was humming along just fine as was his game. Weird then how far too many good players suddenly turn to shit in the holy Savior Mike Sullivan's glorious system and development.

Graves is on pace for 13pts. The lowest of his career since becoming a regular. He's been hovering near 30 pts in 3 of his 4 full seasons and even in the one off year in Colorado he was fantastic in the playoffs.

Far too often it's supposedly the players fault. Yet they leave and the petty can't handle that it wasn't their fault the entire time and it was this team that was with this coaching staff.

Blueger has bounced back so fast with the Canucks in his first full season out of Mikey Dipshits system. He's out producing our bottom 6 centres in 24 games.

Last edited:

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Hey man, I'm happy with this win. Sid and Jake are playing out of their mind right now. Are people still hating on Jake or do people really just want to extract a 1st+ out of him?

A 1st line winger producing like him is a dream man. He's been scary good. You get that kind of production out of someone, understand that role, and you can excuse a little floating.

Smith needs to go to L3. With DOC stepping up and Rust just around the corner, it's time.

Reactions: Ms Maggie

Smasher

Jan 25, 2012
Finland
nemecic.bandcamp.com
Guess what? We are still 7th in the Metro! We would be in a playoff spot had we beaten the Caps.

Geno was playing with two non-factors and it showed. It's time to demote Smith. DOC-Malkin-Rust could be really good when Rust gets going.

Ruhwedel had some very questionable plays like passing through the forecheckers legs in front of our net when he could just have flipped the puck out of the zone. Another bad defensive play (can't remember by who) led to the 5-4 goal where the puck was passed to no one between two of our guys with under a minute left.

Big two points nevertheless!

Reactions: Andy99

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
See, the reason i hate all the "TEH CULTURE SUX" posts is because Sid is the culture and he's not out there loafing. Some of the team sucks. The goalies are not ... great. Our 3rd pair not great. Bottom 6 isn't amazing. But Sid and the culture are fine.

I think people are confusing "coaching decisions" with culture

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Not winning would have been devastating psychologically but boy did we play with fire. Sid who would not be denied and the drama is cool for neutrals but my nerves would have preferred the blow out that seemed quite possible at 5-2.

Amazing how even goalies with great numbers can look really vulnerable when you have some traffic in front of them. I wonder if we learn the lesson or go back to 37 shot-pass attempts per period.

Depth scoring, star power and the power play winning us games while goaltending comes back to earth. That's more like the Penguins we know. ;) I thought Sully should have pulled Ned but he stood tall at the end. Beating a team like BOS when your goalie is struggling feels really nice.

Geno's line looked awful yet somehow has positive Corsi. Gotta wonder if Rust is anywhere near 100% fit. Smith being less noticeable than even Carter happens way too often.

Not loving Puustinen having the lowest ice time but having this version of DOC show up helps so much. Even the morons on ESPN noticed him.

When they kept showing the Bruins having 0 shot attempts midway through the second you just knew the first shot would get in and the game will become nerve-racking. Happy ending this time but it would be nice if the team wasn't so bad clearing the crease.

Reactions: Andy99 and vodeni

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Hey man, I'm happy with this win. Sid and Jake are playing out of their mind right now. Are people still hating on Jake or do people really just want to extract a 1st+ out of him?

A 1st line winger producing like him is a dream man. He's been scary good. You get that kind of production out of someone, understand that role, and you can excuse a little floating.

Smith needs to go to L3. With DOC stepping up and Rust just around the corner, it's time.
Our leading scorer. A late 1st that has a 50/50 chance of being an NHL player and even less at being as good as Jake on his bad day. The talk of trading him is crazy but I’ve been saying that for 2 years.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
We've been saying for some time that both goalies have been playing out of their minds. Well today's lesson is all about "regressing to the mean"

Ned was bad, thankfully the goalie on the other end of the ice was worse.

DOC's vision has improved dramatically over these past 15 games or so. He's definitely playing with confidence.

I feel bad for Petts who is really the only Dman on the team with half a brain

Considering Smith has been a passenger, this is what I'd roll with:
Sid/Jake/Rak
Rust/Geno/Puus
DOC/Eller/Smith
Whatever

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Carter scoring an almost PP goal is going to keep Big Puss off the PP until he gets sent back down.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Count me in the group that wants DOC-Malkin-Rust.

I've talked plenty of shit about DOC, but there's no denying that the dude is a force right now. I'm not 100% convinced it will continue, but why not take advantage of it while you can? At the very least, he's big, fast, and willing to forecheck which is something that is severely missing on that line. The chemistry between Malkin-Smith was really promising at the start of the season, but it's just not there anymore.

Smith-Eller-Puusy is intriguing as well. I've seen 2 things talked about that seem to have some synergy. 1) Smith is better off the rush and 2) Eller has been great at getting it from the D zone to the O zone. Combined with that line starting so much in the D-zone, it gives them a few more chances a game to make something happen. Puusy seems to be handling the D-zone starts and gives them an extra offensive punch as well.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Our leading scorer. A late 1st that has a 50/50 chance of being an NHL player and even less at being as good as Jake on his bad day. The talk of trading him is crazy but I’ve been saying that for 2 years.
Trade a player like that and you never win the trade.

Reactions: eXile3

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
8-2-1 last 11 games. I'll take that string.
I really don't get the downplaying of this streak they are on. I mean, sure, there are still flaws and I think there are legitimate reasons to be skeptical still, but as far as the standings go, they are picking up points on everyone in front of them. It hasn't resulted in being in a playoff spot, yet, but they are getting closer and closer.

Last 10 games:

Islanders : 4-3-3
Flyers : 4-3-3
Lightning : 6-4-0
Devils : 6-3-1
Capitals : 4-4-2
Red Wings : 4-6-0

Pens : 7-2-1

Did people really think a good streak was going to see them instantly jump over 6 teams?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad