Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Bruins | 4-2 win | Malkin who? Doesn’t matter we have Heinen

Vegan?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Are you seriously going to argue with me that they did not make a conscious effort to get more physical after 18?

Tampa Bay Lightning Manhandle Islanders in Physical Battle, Win 4-1 - ESPN 98.1 FM - 850 AM WRUF

Tell me the last time the Pens were capable of that kind of headline??

The Pens can only play one style, I see this as a major flaw. You may disagree, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Chara beating the shit out of Maroon and Cirelli and Nelson fighting ain’t all that different than what happened in the Isles series last year.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You all realize that if someone on our team went after Marchand for punching our goalie in the head, we would be praising him, rightfully so. But yet, here we are celebrating the fact that no one went after him.

200.gif

You can’t have it both ways.
Then why is nobody praising Letang?

He did go after him.

Reactions: Trade

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Nah. We tried to put big guys on our team forever. It never has worked.

Except when Rick Tocchet propelled them to a second cup.

Maybe, just maybe if Sully had bought into a little of what JR was trying to do in 18, the Pens would have competed differently these past 4 seasons.....is that possible????

Noooooo.... of course not.

I have watched a lot of hockey this year and there are lot of team capable of getting downright nasty in the current NHL.

Our GM neutered the Flyer brand, how is that working out for that franchise? They are both physically and mentally fragile.

The Pens aren't in the same category, yet, because they have warriors with their big 3. Jake is a warrior as well, but he's in an eggshell body.

Reactions: Victor Z

Victor Z

Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Nah. We tried to put big guys on our team forever. It never has worked.

Roberts was a vital part of the Penguins playoff run in 2008; that's pretty much the last time the word "manhandle" or "bully" could be applied to a Penguin team in a favorable way, and Roberts was the reason for that, possibly the sole reason.

I'll always remember in game 4 of the sweep against Ottawa, fairly late in the third period with the outcome in no doubt whatsoever, Roberts was still playing "his" kind of game (the exact opposite of a typical p***yfied "Penguin" kind of game that we know so well from both before that time and since that time); Roberts was drilling people hard -- and legally -- still destroying everything in sight even though the series mere minutes from being over.

Ottawa's alleged tough guy Chris Neil was just about literally in tears as he whined to the refs. You could almost hear him saying "These are the PITTSBURGH PENGUINS! They aren't supposed to play that way - EVER!!! They're not ALLOWED to! It's in THE RULES! Make them STOP!". More delicious tears than that have rarely been shed.

That scenario was the exact opposite of the 2007 series, where most of the Penguins were deer in the headlights (it was the first postseason experience for the Crosby-Malkin-Fleury version of the team) as Ottawa hit everything that moved -- high, hard, late, cheap and dirty -- all series long and the Pens wilted while the refs just smiled. Decades later, some things haven't changed much in the playoffs.

But for one brief moment in 2008, the Pens were actually the aggressors in a playoff series and it did "work". The confidence the more fragile players gained from Roberts' performance -- Hey look, someone actually has our backs this time!!! -- perhaps might have helped a wee bit in propelling that inexperienced team all the way to the finals that year. Regardless, it's fun to not always be on the receiving end of a free beatdown.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Roberts was a vital part of the Penguins playoff run in 2008; that's pretty much the last time the word "manhandle" or "bully" could be applied to a Penguin team in a favorable way, and Roberts was the reason for that, possibly the sole reason.

I'll always remember in game 4 of the sweep against Ottawa, fairly late in the third period with the outcome in no doubt whatsoever, Roberts was still playing "his" kind of game (the exact opposite of a typical p***yfied "Penguin" kind of game that we know so well from both before that time and since that time); Roberts was drilling people hard -- and legally -- still destroying everything in sight even though the series mere minutes from being over.

Ottawa's alleged tough guy Chris Neil was just about literally in tears as he whined to the refs. You could almost hear him saying "These are the PITTSBURGH PENGUINS! They aren't supposed to play that way - EVER!!! They're not ALLOWED to! It's in THE RULES! Make them STOP!". More delicious tears than that have rarely been shed.

That scenario was the exact opposite of the 2007 series, where most of the Penguins were deer in the headlights (it was the first postseason experience for the Crosby-Malkin-Fleury version of the team) as Ottawa hit everything that moved -- high, hard, late, cheap and dirty -- all series long and the Pens wilted while the refs just smiled. Decades later, some things haven't changed much in the playoffs.

But for one brief moment in 2008, the Pens were actually the aggressors in a playoff series and it did "work". The confidence the more fragile players gained from Roberts' performance -- Hey look, someone actually has our backs this time!!! -- perhaps might have helped a wee bit in propelling that inexperienced team all the way to the finals that year. Regardless, it's fun to not always be on the receiving end of a free beatdown.

And we lost to the team with no enforcers that played a skill and possession game in the finals.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Except when Rick Tocchet propelled them to a second cup.

Maybe, just maybe if Sully had bought into a little of what JR was trying to do in 18, the Pens would have competed differently these past 4 seasons.....is that possible????

Noooooo.... of course not.

I have watched a lot of hockey this year and there are lot of team capable of getting downright nasty in the current NHL.

Our GM neutered the Flyer brand, how is that working out for that franchise? They are both physically and mentally fragile.

The Pens aren't in the same category, yet, because they have warriors with their big 3. Jake is a warrior as well, but he's in an eggshell body.

Was Tocchet on the ice in 2017? Because I remember our top nine having a bunch of undersized skill forwards and Ron Hainsey being a top pairing D.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Yes sir...

Don't forget the physicality that guys like Kunitz, Orpik, Gill, Fedotenko, Kennedy could bring to the table as well.

Kunitz was built for playoff hockey, boy do I miss him. He was the definition of a playoff hockey player.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Who has won a Cup in recent memory going the "big and nasty" route? The Blues... and?

We aren't really going to try lumping TB into that category, I hope?

There are lots of ways to win, granted. But by and large it just really isn't THAT league, anymore.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yes sir...

Don't forget the physicality that guys like Kunitz, Orpik, Gill, Fedotenko, Kennedy could bring to the table as well.

Kunitz was built for playoff hockey, boy do I miss him. He was the definition of a playoff hockey player.

Kunitz having one big hit in his career being amazing physically is pretty hilarious. Kapanen and Zucker play that exact game.

Citing Kennedy, Gill and Fedotenko as physical makes me question if you watched 08 and 09.

Orpik was physical. I’m sure you jerk off to the shift. The one where Orpik chased the Wings around the dzone hitting them.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Don’t really think what Marchand did was worth more than 5 games at all but I’m not going to complain if it is.
Sucker punches were not allowed even in the old days. How long was Domi suspended for?

Now add in the stick to the head. Both are worthy of 5 games and he's already been suspended 3 games this year. He should be looking at 10+.

Victor Z

Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Then why is nobody praising Letang?

He did go after him.

Yes he did, but have you ever seen the refs move faster to protect the player who delivered the cheap shot than what happened last night?

In contrast with any time when a Penguin player even sneezes in the vicinity of an opposition goalie -- or delivers a good clean HARD hit on anyone, rare though that is -- and the free beatdown commences faster than you can blink. Penguins just aren't "supposed" to play that way, and it's not tolerated -- not by the opposition, not by the refs.... and least of all by the Penguins' puss of a head coach (Mark Friedman says "hi").

The lack of a beatdown (as if the Pens are even capable of delivering one) last night on Marchand isn't all that noteworthy in and of itself. But in a long playoff series where such plays -- maybe not *quite* as bad as what Marchand did -- go on period after period with full approval of the game managers -- it would be handy to have someone on the ice who is capable, and ALLOWED (by the coach) to prove that two, in fact, CAN play at that game by hitting every bit as "legally dirty" as what's being done TO the Pens.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Was Tocchet on the ice in 2017? Because I remember our top nine having a bunch of undersized skill forwards and Ron Hainsey being a top pairing D.

I have answered this questions many times, when will it be the final time? Let's make this it ok.

Yes, I agree that in 16 & 17 the Pens had very little in the way of physicality outside of Cole and Kunitz. I believe they caught the NHL literally flat footed and their speed shocked opposing teams. They dominated in 16, but you could see cracks in 17, especially in that Ottawa series, after the brutal Caps series. The Sens had them on the brink. Cheers to them, they got it done.

But then they dumped Cole and went one way, while the league got faster, bigger and nastier. What have been the results since?

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Kunitz having one big hit in his career being amazing physically is pretty hilarious. Kapanen and Zucker play that exact game.

Citing Kennedy, Gill and Fedotenko as physical makes me question if you watched 08 and 09.

Orpik was physical. I’m sure you jerk off to the shift.

Kunitz was a down right nasty playoff competitor. If you didn't see that, we should probably agree to disagree.

And do you see your snarky ending comment. For all of the grief that I get on this board, I never write insulting comments. Probably because I'm from a different generation and have real in person discussions with people. Amazing that I never get such comments said in person...weird.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I have answered this questions many times, when will it be the final time? Let's make this it ok.

Yes, I agree that in 16 & 17 the Pens had very little in the way of physicality outside of Cole and Kunitz. I believe they caught the NHL literally flat footed and their speed shocked opposing teams. They dominated in 16, but you could see cracks in 17, especially in that Ottawa series, after the brutal Caps series. The Sens had them on the brink. Cheers to them, they got it done.

But then they dumped Cole and went one way, while the league got faster, bigger and nastier. What have been the results since?

Lots of teams won cups with elite talent. And dinosaurs like yourself looked at a guy like Patrick Maroon or Tom Wilson and said LOOK. They won the cup!!!

Reactions: Icarium
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad