GDT: Pens vs Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Playing almost 10 more games with more minutes and overall FAR better linemates ....thanks god he scored more!
And coming back about the linemates, i remember one serie of games (i think it was when he had his record point streak of any Pens player last season) when he was really in god mode but it wasn't much showed in the stats because of really crap linemates (or incompatibility with them).
Oh and your claiming about Sid being better at keeping the puck last season.....i'd like to know where it came from.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...aters&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And while having Horny and Perron while Geno had.....Comeau and Kunitz/sometimes Bennet.
And Sid outscored him by 14 pts playing 8 games more so he actually barely outscored him in pt/game, which is not very impressive for a player of Sid's caliber, especially when you compare his TOI and his linemates to Malkin's last year.

Malkin PPG: 1.01 (83 point pace)
Crosby PPG: 1.09 (89 point pace)

That difference, while not that large, is not as small as you're trying to make it out to be. Crosby also rarely played with both Perron and Hornqvist, his most common linemates were Kunitz (shell of his former self is being too kind) and Horny. Crosby was also the shutdown center, like I said prior.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this, anyone who actually watched the games knows Malkin wasn't better than Crosby last year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

That difference, while not that large, is not as small as you're trying to make it out to be. Crosby also rarely played with both Perron and Hornqvist, his most common linemates were Kunitz (shell of his former self is being too kind) and Horny. Crosby was also the shutdown center, like I said prior.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this, anyone who actually watched the games knows Malkin wasn't better than Crosby last year.

Malkin also started 59% of his shifts in the o-zone to Crosby's 49%, and Crosby was against stronger competition.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012

I can name you at least 30 games where he was reasonably better.
You're forgetting that Sid has some terrible bad streaks last year (especially one).
I'm especially quite sure that from October to end of 2014, Geno was our best offensive player, even more so than what the stats were showing at that point.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
As did Malkin.

In regular season, his worst streaks were not close to the one bad streak Sid had at one point (which didn't mean Sid only had bad games in that streak of course).
In PO, he was really really bad though, no point denying that (actually even worse on the ice than in the scoreboard if it was possible!)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
In regular season, his worst streak were not close to the one bad streak Sid had at one point.
In PO, he was really really bad though, no point denying that (actually even worse on the ice than in the scoreboard if it was possible!)

10 games to finish the regular season without a goal. And don't forget, Crosby did have Mumps.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Speaking of Malkin, I was actually disappointed enough in his play last year that I don't consider him a unanimous top-5 player anymore. I really hope he gets back to that level, but he has taken some steps back in recent years due to injuries and losing Neal (who did help him somewhat, even though Neal just leeched off him).

Crosby also produced more than Malkin last year while being used as the shutdown center, so I don't even know why it's a debate right now. Crosby easily had a better season than him last year.

Eh, I think Neal hurt Malkin's game over the years, too. They had what I like to call the spiral of stupid where they'd feed off each other's bad ideas and I think we ultimately saw him defer to Neal's shot too much and get overly cute... even for this team. It's weird, you don't expect something like that to happen, idk if it's controversial. I thought his game was looking better, better rounded and composed, last season, but only for stretches, probably between injuries.

He's good for one or two standard hockey injuries every season, now. Nothing flukey to write off, so I wouldn't count on him cracking 70 games but as long as he's healthy in the playoffs it's fine. Like Letang he shouldn't be expected to play a full season, you just take it if they're there when it really matters. Neither of them managed to do that last season, while, naturally, Crosby did for the first time in years. Here's his GP over his NHL career.

2006-07 - 78
2007-08 - 82
2008-09 - 82
2009-10 - 67
2010-11 - 43
2011-12 - 75
2012-13 - 31*
2013-14 - 60
2014-15 - 69
*lockout shortened season in which his maximum played would have been 65 if he didn't miss another game

I'd do that Boedker deal in a heartbeat. If for no other reason, to simply get rid of Kunitz and get more speed into the top six.

I'd do it, too. That's why I came up with it. :laugh:

But you know, top 6 winger (ha) with leadership, a former 1st rounder who needs to get healthy and a 2nd round pick, it could be pretty fair depending on the going rate. Boedker is still the dream to round out the group Boedker, Hornqvist, Kessel, Perron and Plotnikov for depth because they'll all miss time. Realistically, Perron is gone for a defenseman, Bennett is gone for a former Pen and Boedker goes somewhere else for less than that.

As for the Neal-Hornqvist trade, it was originally going to be Neal + 22nd overall (PIT) + 23rd overall (JR had a deal lined up with COL to get that pick, wishful thinking is that it involved Kunitz) for Hornqvist + Spaling + 11th overall. Nashville didn't want to mess with picks, so it was a players-only deal.

A 2nd isn't like the firsts getting moved around like that, I get it but I still wish it had happened.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
10 games to finish the regular season without a goal. And don't forget, Crosby did have Mumps.

And Malkin obviously wasn't coming back from a long injury when he tried to finish the season....
and he didn't have Mumps as Sid but he had scrubs in his line for sure :cry:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Eh, I think Neal hurt Malkin's game over the years, too. They had what I like to call the spiral of stupid where they'd feed off each other's bad ideas and I think we ultimately saw him defer to Neal's shot too much and get overly cute... even for this team. It's weird, you don't expect something like that to happen, idk if it's controversial. I thought his game was looking better, better rounded and composed, last season, but only for stretches, probably between injuries.

He's good for one or two standard hockey injuries every season, now. Nothing flukey to write off, so I wouldn't count on him cracking 70 games but as long as he's healthy in the playoffs it's fine. Like Letang he shouldn't be expected to play a full season, you just take it if they're there when it really matters. Neither of them managed to do that last season, while, naturally, Crosby did for the first time in years. Here's his GP over his NHL career.

2006-07 - 78
2007-08 - 82
2008-09 - 82
2009-10 - 67
2010-11 - 43
2011-12 - 75
2012-13 - 31*
2013-14 - 60
2014-15 - 69
*lockout shortened season in which his maximum played would have been 65 if he didn't miss another game

I'd do it, too. That's why I came up with it. :laugh:

But you know, top 6 winger (ha) with leadership, a former 1st rounder who needs to get healthy and a 2nd round pick, it could be pretty fair depending on the going rate. Boedker is still the dream to round out the group Boedker, Hornqvist, Kessel, Perron and Plotnikov for depth because they'll all miss time. Realistically, Perron is gone for a defenseman, Bennett is gone for a former Pen and Boedker goes somewhere else for less than that.

A 2nd isn't like the firsts getting moved around like that, I get it but I still wish it had happened.

I don't know enough about Boedker's game beyond the whole "he's fast as ****, and not a goober with the puck on his stick."

There's a rumor floating around that Toronto wants to trade JVR, and has mentioned Zajac from the Devils as a piece that could be coming back. I'm sure we could put something together better than that. JVR is to me what Boedker is to you. :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't know enough about Boedker's game beyond the whole "he's fast as ****, and not a goober with the puck on his stick."

There's a rumor floating around that Toronto wants to trade JVR, and has mentioned Zajac from the Devils as a piece that could be coming back. I'm sure we could put something together better than that. JVR is to me what Boedker is to you. :laugh:

I'd be thrilled with either. JVR would cost more assets, but he's also signed to a hell of a deal for two more years after this one and has proven more I'd say. Can we just have some fun and go for both? :laugh:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'd be thrilled with either. JVR would cost more assets, but he's also signed to a hell of a deal for two more years after this one and has proven more I'd say. Can we just have some fun and go for both? :laugh:

I'm down.

JVR - Crosby - Kessel
Perron - Malkin - Hornqvist
Boedker - Bonino - Sprong

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kunitz and Bonino for JVR, they already clocked the Leafs on one trade so might as well do it on another :sarcasm:

JVR-Crosby-Hornqvist
Plotnikov-Malkin-Kessel
Perron-Fehr-Dupuis
Sundqvist-Cullen-Bennett

That's nasty and it's not asinine to put Perron on the 3rd line there.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I'd take either and I've probably seen JVR play more anyway. Boedker would be cheaper

I'm down.

JVR - Crosby - Kessel
Perron - Malkin - Hornqvist
Boedker - Bonino - Sprong

Newb.

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Bonino-Perron
Fehr-Boedker-JVR

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
i'd take either and i've probably seen jvr play more anyway. Boedker would be cheaper

newb.

Kunitz-crosby-kessel
plotnikov-malkin-hornqvist
dupuis-bonino-perron
fehr-boedker-jvr

We. Are. Dreaming. Here. Dude.

SheJCfD.gif

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
That dude has a weirdly cylindrical torso with no shape or definition of any kind. It's actually kind of impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad