Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Avs | win | Carter: The hero we needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
We have a truly ridiculous record against the Central Division this season - 11-1-0. No team has a better record against a division. Hopefully it becomes even more ridiculous today.

Credit to Dumo and Carter for having great games despite the odds. DOC again proving that he belongs in the NHL. Crosby a great goal and some nice set-ups, Malkin an assist and at least three potential assists one one-timers that didn't materialise (but he faded out in the second half of the game). Granlund still can't score but he isn't getting scored on, compared to the previous 3rd line, it's an improvement. Too bad it took an injury crisis and a slide in the standings for the forwards to start playing defense but I will take it.

Keeping Carter on the ice so long in the end, so he could maybe get a hat-trick wasn't good for my blood pressure, though.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
well that figures, we have a great game and I didn't watch it.
but i have a good excuse friend of mine was opening a really nice bottle of oban ;)
I have it on the dvr so gonna watch later today.

Sounds like the boys really had a great game. They've fooled me before, my only fear is that every time as of late we put a good game together it's followed up by a stinker. Can't do that anymore we gotta go streaking now. I don't want us to miss the playoffs no matter how good a first round pick we'd likely get missnig them that draft pick is not gonna move the needle AT ALL while our big 3 are at a high level. Why i hate us clutching our first round picks like it's the most precious thing on earth.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Not an easy schedule by any means from here on out. Detroit hasn't laid down and I am sure would love to play spoiler but winnable series.

If they play like they played tonight I like their chances though. Hopefully Petry back tonight as he traveled with the team. Someone has to take some of those 29 mins away from Letang.

Dallas looking strong and some good play from their "old guys". What a job they have done drafting as well.
The Dallas game is huge. Another win on the road trip will keep our confidence up. We need to win as many games in that first half of the 11 game stretch to stay in control of our destiny as much as possible. And tbh, it's #7 or bust. We do not want Boston in the first round.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's also a shame that if Sid was in his prime he probably be around the 135 point mark just under McDavid in the scoring race by the end of the season. He's still a very formidable player as we all know, but Prime sid is probably a clear second to McDavid in the scoring race.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Archibald is kinda bad defensively and positionally, where as Heinen is pretty solid in those areas. Archibald does a lot of nothing for the most part.

We could scratch Granlund as he actually does nothing out there.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
This team obviously likes to f*** with us lol

When Dumo sent the shot/pass onto Carter's stick, Sully probably :eek::eek::eek::eek:ed in his pants a bit after the questioning about them couple days ago

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
Interesthang to see if coach sullivan keeps jarry in tonight again. Now that he ganed the win and confidence to beat any team in the world. Coch sullivan is an interesting guy, and might just do that there.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Jekyll and Hyde team!

It would have taken 20% of that effort to beat Montreal, and 50% of that discipline to beat Ottawa. I'm glad for the win, and would be happy that this starts a win streak!

My take:
- Crosby was on a mission.
- Malkin actually had a good game with multiple takeways and setup multiple point blank chances. Just no points though.
- Connor and Archie played well together. Carter got goals but he wasn't strong on the puck and wasn't great on the forecheck. He just able to finish, so I'm happy if this gives him an extra jump, but I'm not holding my breath.
- L3 seemed to struggle overall. I'm not really happy with Granlund.
- Rust man...he's still struggling. I hope that EN goal gives him a boost. He is a straight line player, and really needs to drive the net harder.
- I'm glad our 1/2 AHL D was able to play well and hold it together. They kept it simple instead of trying to do too much and too fast (ie. beyond ability). Letang is a beast...29 minutes was it?

If you're mad we won because you don't like the guys who scored...get a life!
lol..I'm not at all mad we won, but I do see Carter getting more ice time now, as it just justified Sully's faith in him :ha:.

+++ Jarry
++ L4
++ DOC
+ Hardest I've seen Sid grind this season

- Malkin didn't have his best game
- Rust offsides robbing Sid of #31, then accidentally scoring the ENG
Agree with all of the above, but Malkin was fine. He had multiple takeaways and setup multiple glorious chances.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Oh...I guess Ryder71 is upset today because his "favorite" team actually won a game. Yes losing can help when it comes to drafting. But there is a big difference between being absolutely atrocious and being a fringe playoff team. Sure if the Pens lose the rest of the games this year, they may have a slight chance at an offensively gifted player that is going to need to focus on improving the defensive aspects of his game. Cheering for the Pens to lose at this point of this season is pointless. It won't improve the team next year and likely won't improve the team 5 years from now. When the wheels finally fall off this team, they are going to need a lot more than one year of failing to make the playoffs to be competitive again. While the team is still competitive, we should be cheering them on.

The point I am trying to make is that someone that is truly passionate about the Pens, may want them to lose to improve the future, but to actively cheer for them to lose...nah I can't get behind that. Even in a meaningless pre-season game, I don't like seeing them lose.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Rust really hasnt been good all season but he gets more chances and ice time than anyone else....

RSPens

May 25, 2015
lol..I'm not at all mad we won, but I do see Carter getting more ice time now, as it just justified Sully's faith in him :ha:.
Or...if Sully is a good coach he will recognize that Carter is finally contributing in his hybrid 3rd/4th line role and keep him there...we shall see...

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Why Rust keeps being put out there for EN situations is baffling.

Add Jake to that list. They put in the worst defensive F line (Jake/Sid/Rust) to DEFEND against an extra attacker. How many 6 on 5 goals have we allowed the past 2 seasons? Gotta be tops in the league.

Sully's philosophy is: "well I can end the game with an EN goal". Ok, but if this lineup loses that defensive faceoff, it usually ends up in the back of the net.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
For me that's right up there with the best backhand goals of his career. The move, the range, the placement, the power. Checks all the boxes.

If you could sum up most of Sid's goals, that was a microcosm of his career highlights. 1 on 1, using his speed to separate from the defender and getting that shot off with an insane amount of velocity.

His backhand is absolutely nasty

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Or...if Sully is a good coach he will recognize that Carter is finally contributing in his hybrid 3rd/4th line role and keep him there...we shall see...
Let's be honest here...
He was a recipient of hard plays from the rest of the ice for both goals. Yes, you need those types of people that can find soft spots and get open (ie. James Neal, Jake Guentzel, Phil Kessel), but Carter was never that guy, and don't think he'll transition into one at age 38.

He got 14:41 ice time against Colorado. I expect Sully to overuse him tonight.

I hope I'm wrong, and that the new L4 stays stable, and produces. It would be great to have 3 somewhat stable producing lines, and then continue to work on L3.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
well that figures, we have a great game and I didn't watch it.
but i have a good excuse friend of mine was opening a really nice bottle of oban ;)
I have it on the dvr so gonna watch later today.

Sounds like the boys really had a great game. They've fooled me before, my only fear is that every time as of late we put a good game together it's followed up by a stinker. Can't do that anymore we gotta go streaking now. I don't want us to miss the playoffs no matter how good a first round pick we'd likely get missnig them that draft pick is not gonna move the needle AT ALL while our big 3 are at a high level. Why i hate us clutching our first round picks like it's the most precious thing on earth.
Oban is some sweet, peaty Scotch, your excuse is well-received.

Reactions: vikingGoalie

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
80 points. 11 games remaining. 22 possible points.
16 points needed (most likely) for a playoff position.
8-3 is needed in the next 11.

6-1-4 would do it.
7-2-2 would do it.
6-2-3 would be 95

Their L10 record wouldn't cut it.
It's the moment of truth with this group.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Add Jake to that list. They put in the worst defensive F line (Jake/Sid/Rust) to DEFEND against an extra attacker. How many 6 on 5 goals have we allowed the past 2 seasons? Gotta be tops in the league.

Sully's philosophy is: "well I can end the game with an EN goal". Ok, but if this lineup loses that defensive faceoff, it usually ends up in the back of the net.
I mean atleast Jake is actually good at keeping the puck and making smart plays, and he probably has the least chance to flub on an open net among anyone on the team.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I dubbed Jeff Carter “the new Craig Adams” in last night’s GDT, and then the geriatric old wanker nearly scores a hatty….

Cripes!!
It's feels odd to say but Jeff Carter is actually BETTER than Craig Adams (or Tanner Glass) for that matter. Carter has some size and can actually use the body. His issue is he's too slow now and gets to the play or hit too late.

I remember him and Mike Richards giving us fits in his early Flyers days.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
It's feels odd to say but Jeff Carter is actually BETTER than Craig Adams (or Tanner Glass) for that matter. Carter has some size and can actually use the body. His issue is he's too slow now and gets to the play or hit too late.

I remember him and Mike Richards giving us fits in his early Flyers days.

Same same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad