Post-Game Talk: Pens v Rags 11/11/14 eating chalk > Steigerwald

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
There actually isn't a big correlation between the team's best player being unavailable or not playing well and losing because for most teams losing one player or having one player play badly doesn't make a significant difference. The exceptions are for goaltenders and players who contribute to a large majority of goals usually on bad teams (eg Hall).

Crosby's lack of points in games that the Pens lost last season was seen more as a statistical anomaly or a sign of the lack of scoring depth outside of Crosby-driven offense.

Michael8771*

The Rags were really all over the pens at the start of this one so its hard to blame MAF but I'm going to be a bit critical of him. He allowed 3 goals, on what, 4 or 5 shots at one point? He played decently but a few saves there and it may have been a different game. We didn't weather that storm and you have to do that sometimes, especially on the road.

That 1st period felt like a playoff game. In a bad sort of way.
They were better prepared, had much better gap control, were quicker to lose pucks, largely sealed of the passing lanes and simply out executed us. The first 35 minutes could not have been played any better or more soundly than the rangers played it. They impressed me. I sincerely hope the Pens have an answer for this on Saturday.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
You guys react too much to blowouts. All the top teams have lost big this season, Boston just lost 6-1 to Toronto and none of their fans are panicking.

I personally think the largest reason for the loss against the Rangers was the non existant forecheck and support. Rangers kept standing at the line and stopping zone entries. One of the things Dupuis is good for is chasing pucks, Johnston has made him useless by making him stand around waiting for the puck

Fordy

May 28, 2008
You guys react too much to blowouts. All the top teams have lost big this season, Boston just lost 6-1 to Toronto and none of their fans are panicking.

I personally think the largest reason for the loss against the Rangers was the non existant forecheck and support. Rangers kept standing at the line and stopping zone entries. One of the things Dupuis is good for is chasing pucks, Johnston has made him useless by making him stand around waiting for the puck

if dupuis can't receive a pass that's his own fault

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

You fail so hard at reading. The overall feel after this game was surprisingly nice. Nobody went crazy or worried. Majority was just ok with it and gave props to NY.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Y

Our system should be based around players like Malkin, Crosby and Letang. Not Pascal Dupuis.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

The loss had nothing to do with the Rangers stopping zone entries.

The game was lost because of our inabilitiy to deal with their forecheck early on. It was fast and furious and our guys weren't ready for it in the first 25 minutes of the game. The Rangers were emotionally invested in the game early on, and we weren't.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm looking forward to hearing about today's practice, i want to see what lines MJ puts out there, Hopefully there are some changes on Geno's line.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Pretty sure they were up 4-0 when they started stacking the line. 99 times in 100, the game is won or lost on what happens prior to that type of lead, not after.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i'm anticipating either back to the status quo (kch-dmc, maybe bennett moves to the third), or worse, kcd-cmh. i'm down for new lines, but i'd rather make no changes than go to kcd

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
i'm anticipating either back to the status quo (kch-dmc, maybe bennett moves to the third), or worse, kcd-cmh. i'm down for new lines, but i'd rather make no changes than go to kcd

I wonder why Kunitz is attacked to Sid's hip. Put Dupuis up there with Horny. What Dupes is good for he can do on the left side, methinks. And then Kunitz with Bennett on Geno's line. It's worth a try early in the season. It's not like we have a must win game here. But my guess is, back to the status quo like you said, because we won 7 in a row that way with an unsustainable PP% and PK%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad