Post-Game Talk: Pens **** up in OT once again|Rangers win 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
no. you're wrong. Glass and Adams are a lot closer to Engelland than Megna or Gibbons. Megna and Gibbons are both fast and relatively talented. They are both "harder to play against" than Engelland is. I don't give a damn if Engo will occasionally fight somebody or throw a big hit. He will win half as many puck battles because he's not a good enough skater to get to the puck to even battle.

I would take Engo every time over Adams. Engo at least gives you something. Adams can't shoot, pass, skate, or fight. The guy is stealing money and he will be back again to do all over again next season. Do you think Chicago would play Adams?? How about Boston??? LOL. Engo is at least tough as nail as a forward. Not ideal, but he gives something. Adams gives you cucky.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think Gibbons and Megna get a bad rap because of their size, and lack of grit/toughness. I think they're both decent to good third liners, but I don't like either of 'em as 4th liners.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I would take Engo every time over Adams. Engo at least gives you something. Adams can't shoot, pass, skate, or fight. The guy is stealing money and he will be back again to do all over again next season. Do you think Chicago would play Adams?? How about Boston??? LOL. Engo is at least tough as nail as a forward. Not ideal, but he gives something. Adams gives you cucky.

I want Craig Adams off this team as much as anybody else.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think Gibbons and Megna get a bad rap because of their size, and lack of grit/toughness. I think they're both decent to good third liners, but I don't like either of 'em as 4th liners.

Megna isn't small and he doesn't lack toughness any more than guys like Stempniak or Dupuis do. He's 6'1" 200 lbs. I trust him to win a board battle over any of Adams, Glass, Pyatt or Engelland and he goes to the net harder and more often than pretty much any of our other forwards.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
I don't have a response to that because it literally makes no sense to me. Not even a little bit. Our bottom 6 is the only reason we are even in the 2nd round right now.

i want a roster like the ones we had when we were cup contenders

megna and gbbons on the 4th dont answer that

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
So people think Engelland over Megna is a better idea eh? Fantastic stuff.

Megna purposely ran AMac into Steve Mason. He was basiclly "**** this, we're losing, so I'm gonna cause trouble"

I don't know how much of the Rangers Philly series anyone watched, but Philly probably wins that series if Mason started every game (based on his play once he got into the series) Again, I'm not saying purposely go out and hurt people, but skate hard, get into the opposing team's head and be enough of a nuisance that they concentrate on YOU rather than your teammates.

Ideally, yes, you want all of your bottom six guys to be able to play AND dish out hits. When you don't have that type of lineup, your next best option is to dress your fastest players - regardless of skill - and just tell them to skate and forecheck and create havoc, even if it isn't necessarily physical.

Here's my best example. Remember when literally everyone was hurt in 2010, and TK-Letestu-Conner was a thing for about a month? Remember when their nickname was "The Buzz Line?"

Did they hurt anyone? No. Did they score goals? No. Did they strike fear? No. But all I remember is those three guys spending every shift in the opposing zone, creating energy and if NOTHING else, NOT being a liability.

Christ does nobody watch any teams other than the Pens? Does nobody else see what Brendan Gallagher does for the Habs regardless of his size?

Sad to me how out of touch people are with today's brand of hockey, including people who are literally in charge and running teams.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
i want a roster like the ones we had when we were cup contenders

megna and gbbons on the 4th dont answer that

So guys like Satan, Sykora and Dupuis on the 4th line centered by Craig Adams? That's the argument your going with? That's the kind of toughness you want on the 4th line?

So bump Vitale up to Geno's line to be our 4th liner in the top 6. Drop Jussi down to the 4th. Jussi - Goc - Megna is about as close to Satan - 2009 Adams - 2009 Dupuis as we can get.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
But the only message that counts is the scoreboard. Back to square one, I guess. These guys are "mostly monsters" to us normally sized people that aren't going to be intimidated by anything. You can't conduct foreign policy by threatening and launching nukes every time. You have to act smart and play to "win". This is Flyers mentality, and we have seen how many cups they have won in the past 30 years with it.

Seriously, the team is turning into the Capitals and certain parts of the fanbase apparently that of the Flyers, wanting headhunters and goons to take out the opposing team's players because they're not good enough to win without it. Are you people still living in the 70s?

The reigning cup winner doesn't go out every game to throw dirty hits to get the opposing team off their hinges and didn't once again when Orpik took out their captain, and they're playing a hell of a lot better than Pitt is with all the intimidation that apparently accomplished.

You win with a better system than the other team and players fit and coached to play within that system. Not with fake toughness and dirty hits, didn't work out too well for boston when their bigger and physically tougher team lost to the faster more skilled chicago team.

Swapping Adams, Glass, and Scuderi with Scott Stevens, Darius Kasparitis and Ulf Samuelsson in their primes wouldn't change one thing with this team. The identity of the team starts with the coach, and the way they play starts with his system. The system is everything, it dictates where the players are going to be on the ice and when, whether the forwards start the break out or they rush up ice and wait for outlet passes, whether they dump and cycle or run controlled entries, who they pass to and who sets up for the shots, who supports, who drives to the net, everything. If the system is flawed and doesn't work in the playoffs, no amount of better players is going to fix the team, and turning them into the Flyers of the 80s sure as hell isn't going to either.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
well, be happy with this roster then. feel joy for a team that doesnt even get up for playoff games cause they know they're getting their butts whipped physically.

go watch geno and sid play without emotion cause they have megna and 5'7 gibbons on the 4th line to dish out punishment

sadly, a majority of the fan base got its way

congrats!

I'd rather have a fast, skilled team that has gritty players who win puck battles and create their own offense. Give me skilled puck hounds like a Megna and Gibbons over some hit machine that can't generate any offense or cycle the puck.

Once again, Chicago 137 hits St. Louis 238 hits

The biggest, baddest, most physical team this season was pissed all over by the Hawks skill. They did the same thing to Boston last year with a majority of their bottom six guys no bigger than Megna. They weren't big, but they were fast and skilled. Boston couldn't handle it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd rather have a fast, skilled team that has gritty players who win puck battles and create their own offense. Give me skilled puck hounds like a Megna and Gibbons over some hit machine that can't generate any offense or cycle the puck.

Once again, Chicago 137 hits St. Louis 238 hits

The biggest, baddest, most physical team this season was pissed all over by the Hawks skill. They did the same thing to Boston last year with a majority of their bottom six guys no bigger than Megna. They weren't big, but they were fast and skilled. Boston couldn't handle it.

sure, Chicago won the Cup. But did they send a message? Were they hard to play against? I mean, that's what its all about.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
So guys like Satan, Sykora and Dupuis on the 4th line centered by Craig Adams? That's the argument your going with? That's the kind of toughness you want on the 4th line?

So bump Vitale up to Geno's line to be our 4th liner in the top 6. Drop Jussi down to the 4th. Jussi - Goc - Megna is about as close to Satan - 2009 Adams - 2009 Dupuis as we can get.

i'm talking the long haul of a full season plus playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad