Post-Game Talk: Pens **** up in OT once again|Rangers win 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Megna and Gibbons are better 4th liners than Engelland. I don't care how tough Engo is. Hell, go with Zolnierczyk or Sill even. Do not bring back Engo.

i'm trying to upgrade the softness factor of the team. get the team to being hard to play against again

megna or gibbons on the 4th line are not the solution to that problem

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
i'm trying to upgrade the softness factor of the team. get the team to being hard to play against again

You can be hard to play against by being fast and skilled too. But then again, Deryk Engelland's 1 inch and 7 pound advantage over Jayson Megna would probably make all the difference. Who cares if he's a worse hockey player in every other way.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
yeah, i like those guys too except maybe for Goc. but if they use sutter as trADE bait, then i'd have him back.

it really can be an easy fix and we dont have to tinker much outside the roster.
play engo on the 4th line and let him be aggressive. have JV as the center and the other wing at least a hitter or a bigger guy that can help with the size issue. or even someone like dorrsett, carcillo,prust type... thats a 4th line that you can roll with even in the playoffs

the 3rd line is more of a problem

on the defense. let niskinnen walk. play bort and despres. two big, young aggressive guys with the first call up being another big body in Dumo. that size and aggressiveness will off set the play of some of the other D emn that seem like they dont want to take the body at all

the biggest problem is addressing it in the top 6. prolly requires a trade. sutter, prospect + ??

If this team didn't have leaches for their "top" three wingers, two sloths on their fourth line, and had their two big young blueliners in Despres and Bort in the lineup, they would look a lot more like the team all of us want.

I mean, there really isn't a big mystery as to what is making this team so dysfunctional, personnel wise.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If this team didn't have leaches for their "top" three wingers, two sloths on their fourth line, and had their two big young blueliners in Despres and Bort in the lineup, they would look a lot more like the team all of us want.

I mean, there really isn't a big mystery as to what is making this team so dysfunctional, personnel wise.

there clearly is, when people think the problem is a lack of guys like Deryk Engelland or Ryan Clowe on the wing

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
You can be hard to play against by being fast and skilled too. But then again, Deryk Engelland's 1 inch and 7 pound advantage over Jayson Megna would probably make all the difference. Who cares if he's a worse hockey player in every other way.

you lost me.
i'll take that 1 inch and 7 LBs and be a whole hell of a lot tougher team. fighting still exists in this league

megna types on the 4th line is what the problem has been the last 2 years or so IMO.

its what the discussion in this thread has turned into.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
you lost me.
i'll take that 1 inch and 7 LBs and be a whole hell of a lot tougher team. fighting still exists in this league

megna types on the 4th line is what the problem has been the last 2 years or so IMO.

Glass and Adams have been the problem on the 4th line. We would be a considerably better team with Megna and Gibbons in their places right now. I don't care how much grit we lose. Gibbons and Megna win more board battles than Glass and Adams. They go to the net harder. They cycle down low better. They are just better hockey players.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
you lost me.

Megna IS a fast, aggressive skater that constantly wins puck races, battles his ass off for loose pucks, plays fearless, creates offense on his own and drinks from the goalies water bottle every shift.

Aside from putting guys through the wall and fighting, that is exactly what you want from a bottom six guy.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
glass adams = megna types

fringe NHLers that offer little toughness

no. you're wrong. Glass and Adams are a lot closer to Engelland than Megna or Gibbons. Megna and Gibbons are both fast and relatively talented. They are both "harder to play against" than Engelland is. I don't give a damn if Engo will occasionally fight somebody or throw a big hit. He will win half as many puck battles because he's not a good enough skater to get to the puck to even battle.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

I agree with this. At this point, I'd even consider running Gibbons/Sid/Geno as a line. Sid has his one-track-speedster, and Geno is far, far away from Jokinen.

Gibbons/Sid/Geno
Kunitz/Sutter/Neal
Bennett/Goc/Stempniak
Engo/Vitale (or Jokinen)/Megna

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
First off, I give a **** if some tool on the internet 'takes me seriously'.

Oh no, sacrificing a whole roster spot during the regular season! News for you bud, if your team relies on your 12th forward to win games for you, your team's ****ed. Adams isn't 10x the player of anyone, ever.

You must be referring to the Islanders game. The one where Rupp and Engelland got tossed right away? Right? So one Godard vs Gilles, Haley, and Konopka. And Godard still directly stopped our goalie from getting beat down by some plug. Got anything else?

Please post where I even mentioned John Scott in my life. I'll wait....

"Take you seriously" was a euphemism for "Think you're an idiot."

When has anyone attacked and seriously injured any of our guys? How often does that even happen in the league period? Even with this pathetically soft lineup, when has someone like Sid or Geno been out for any significant amount of time because someone took them out? Orpik got jumped by Thornton, and that's because Thornton's an animal who locked in on Orpik and decided to play Dog the Bounty Hunter. No Godard/Laraque/etc. is going to stop him, because Thornton made his mind up that Orpik had to play for his transgressions with the legal check he landed on Eriksson.

Also, Scott was an example of another completely useless goon that you seem to have some weird thing for. Godard's done, so I gave an example of another contemporary useless goon.

Godard jumped the bench to stop a fight that Johnson willingly was accepting. Johnson was removing his gear and going out to meet the guy, it's not like Haley sprinted into the crease and tackled Johnson. There was no need for him to do it, other than to pretend he was earning his paycheck (which he lost a good portion of when he got suspended). Would Johnson have lost? Probably. But he wasn't backing down, and he wasn't getting jumped. So if Godard didn't prevent anything in that game, what use is he? Now we need MORE goons because we only had Godard after Rupp and Engo got tossed? You're tough to follow. And for the record, "tough to follow" is a euphemism for "I think you're a dummy." :)

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
and what would they solve exactly in the colombus series?

would they come and and hit..so the jackets wouldnt double and triple out hit us. would they wake this team up showing them its not a figure skating contest

would they give a message to dubinsky?

this is the 4th line we're talking about here. have all the sppeed and skill you want in the top 6. i'm using my 4th line to set a tone

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
and what would they solve exactly in the colombus series?

would they come and and hit..so the jackets wouldnt double and triple out hit us. would they wake this team up showing them its not a figure skating contest

would they give a message to dubinsky?

this is the 4th line we're talking about here. have all the sppeed and skill you want in the top 6. i'm using my 4th line to set a tone

that's great. You use your 4th line to set a tone. I'll use mine to help win hockey games. Hit totals don't mean a damn thing.

Are you saying you would play the 4th line -- the one including Engelland -- against Dubinsky and Johansson's line? They wouldn't send a message, they would need to catch him first to send a message. Maybe they could send it while he's celebrating his goal.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
you are arguing we should play Engelland --a fringe NHLer at his actual position -- OUT OF POSITION, and then calling other players out for being fringe NHLers. Its ridiculous. I don't know how to argue with someone who is as wrong as you are.

well, be happy with this roster then. feel joy for a team that doesnt even get up for playoff games cause they know they're getting their butts whipped physically.

go watch geno and sid play without emotion cause they have megna and 5'7 gibbons on the 4th line to dish out punishment

sadly, a majority of the fan base got its way

congrats!

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Look at the roster from 09:

Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin
Feds-Malkin-Talbot
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Dupuis-Adams-Satan

None of those guys are enforcers but every wing (save Satan) were skilled yet gritty guys who most importantly were willing to get into the dirty areas and knock guys around. THAT is what we are missing. They had a combo of hitting, grit, and skill. Then look down the center, we had the best center depth in the league with two superstars and the best 3C in the league.

None of those guys were feared in the ring but, as Matt Cooke once said, there was no easy ice with any of them out there.

We don't need enforcers per say...we need 1. guys willing to get their noses dirty, 2. guys that have actual skill, and 3. to stop wasting money on family favorites like Adams and Dupuis. Even Kunitz to an extent was a mistake to resign that long.

It's not too hard to fix the roster. Problem is...we have to hurt some feelings and grow some balls to do it.

I agree, but there is also something to consider when comparing our lines today with 09. The game has gotten bigger, stronger and much more defensive since then. Goalies have grown as well. In today's hockey, you have to get traffic to score in the playoffs. If you keep sending Sid, Kuni , Stemps or Beau, these guys are going to get killed among the "heavy" players. This isn't 09 fellas, it's five years later and the game isn't getting any lighter, at least not with the rest of the NHL. But hey, we are Pittsburgh, lets buck the trend and put smurfs out there against man eaters, what could possible go wrong???

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
well, be happy with this roster then. feel joy for a team that doesnt even get up for playoff games cause they know they're getting their butts whipped physically.

go watch geno and sid play without emotion cause they have megna and 5'7 gibbons on the 4th line to dish out punishment

sadly, a majority of the fan base got its way

congrats!

you honestly think the bottom 6's lack of size and physicality is why Sid and Geno are struggling in the top 6? You think its why we aren't getting up for the games? I just don't understand what dots you are connecting. Probably because they aren't there.

Meanwhile, Stempniak - Sutter - Bennett is the best line on the team. Do any of those guys even weight 200 lbs?

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
that's great. You use your 4th line to set a tone. I'll use mine to help win hockey games. Hit totals don't mean a damn thing.

Are you saying you would play the 4th line -- the one including Engelland -- against Dubinsky and Johansson's line? They wouldn't send a message, they would need to catch him first to send a message. Maybe they could send it while he's celebrating his goal.

like the 2 game winner's carcillo scored for the rangers. you want more speed then england offers then go grab carcillo or someone similiar.

megna and gibbons on the 4th. are you trying to be the toughest team in a woman's league?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
like the 2 game winner's carcillo scored for the rangers. you want more speed then england offers then go grab carcillo or someone similiar.

megna and gibbons on the 4th. are you trying to be the toughest team in a woman's league?

I'm not trying to be the toughest team at all. I'm trying to be the best team. Ask St Louis how important it was to be the toughest team against Chicago a week ago. Ask Boston how important it was to be the toughest team against Chicago last year.

I'm not against adding toughness. I'm against adding bad players when all they add is toughness. Deryk Engelland is a bad player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad