Confirmed with Link: Pens trade Philip Samuelsson to Arizona for Rob Klinkhammer, conditional 2016 pick

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
It's funny, there's a whole lot of "he's not like Pyatt", and "he's better than Pyatt" here. If we backtrack to when Pyatt was acquired, there was a whole lot of positive talk in THAT thread, as well. And yet, the outcome was sadly predictable.

Again, I just think we have to be careful here. BIG guys who are healthy scratches are different than little guys who are healthy scratches. Were the expectations for Klinkhammer in Arizona too high? Doubtful, as he doesn't even make $1 million. Were the Coyotes trying to tank when they were scratching him seven times? May have worked better scratching Shane Doan or OEL.

But hey, he has a great Corsi so...

He is an upgrade at the 4th line & a warm body for a banged up forward group. All we lost was Samuelsson who, if he is lucky, will be a 6th-7th D-man on a bad or average team.

penguins2946*

Saw JB post this

But no, he's Pyatt 2.0!!!!!!!!

We got him for a redundant D prospect that had no future. It also cleared up some of the jam on D to let Ruopp play in the AHL. Klinkhammer is dirt cheap as well. I don't see why people would be upset with this.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

We got him for a redundant D prospect that had no future. It also cleared up some of the jam on D to let Ruopp play in the AHL. Klinkhammer is dirt cheap as well. I don't see why people would be upset with this.

That's crucial. It's a zero risk, medium reward move.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
And he's the right sort of bottom 6 guy too. Can actually control the puck, big body. Would be good enough for our actual bottom 6 and not just the injured one. Plus Samuelsson wasn't getting anywhere near our roster anyway so he didn't have any value.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
Arizona fans seem happy to be rid of him, so that's not a great sign. Still, Sameulsson was never going to touch this roster and if Klinkhammer could possibly make himself a home in our bottom six. There is no risk to this move, so I can't complain.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Coyotes fan here.

I didn't mind Klinkhammer in AZ. He had a strong start with the team a few years back but he lost his job to Brandon McMillan over the last season and a bit. McMillan has brought it every game while Klinkhammer's effort level has run hot and cold. That doesn't work on Dave Tippett's team.

Klinkhammer has above average offensive skills for a fourth liner. Expecting 10-15 goals shouldn't be unrealistic. Above average shot for a player of his level as well. If he gets a good set-up, he can pick the corners. My one major complaint is for someone who stands 6'4, 220, he rarely uses that size. His style of play doesn't match his name. Doesn't play PK either.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Just think how under-the-radar the Craig Adams acquisition was, and look what an impact he's made on this organization since then. :)

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Arizona fans seem happy to be rid of him, so that's not a great sign. Still, Sameulsson was never going to touch this roster and if Klinkhammer could possibly make himself a home in our bottom six. There is no risk to this move, so I can't complain.

Fanbases can develop weird relationships with players, different system, change in scenery, different role, etc.

But, yeah, it was Samuelsson.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Coyotes fan here.

I didn't mind Klinkhammer in AZ. He had a strong start with the team a few years back but he lost his job to Brandon McMillan over the last season and a bit. McMillan has brought it every game while Klinkhammer's effort level has run hot and cold. That doesn't work on Dave Tippett's team.

Klinkhammer has above average offensive skills for a fourth liner. Expecting 10-15 goals shouldn't be unrealistic. Above average shot for a player of his level as well. If he gets a good set-up, he can pick the corners. My one major complaint is for someone who stands 6'4, 220, he rarely uses that size. His style of play doesn't match his name. Doesn't play PK either.

Thanks for stopping by.
Talking about a 4th liners ability to score is really weird for us. lol.
Hoping he can find consistency here with a new oppurtunity.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Is this the end of Sill? If he's being replaced by a legitimate NHL 4th liner w/ a big body in his place, this is a great move.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA

Interestingly, Clark Seymour and Alex Boak got the call ups not Ruopp. Is he injured or does he need to play more?

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
What I've read about Mr. Klinkhammer excites me. He may be inconsistent, yes. However, that's why he's a fourth liner, not a third line checker. This man is going to be such a huge upgrade over Sill in the scoring department. Goc will finally have a linemate that has some idea of what to do with the puck: grab it, hold onto it, and pick a corner.

Phil Samuelsson was a #7 d-man with #6 upside. We got what we paid for here.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Coyotes fan here.

Thanks for the scouting report.

Obviously Klinkhammer seems to have quite of few warts but we need some scoring on the 4th line badly. Our current 4th line of Sill Goc Adams has 3 points total on the season.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Is this the end of Sill? If he's being replaced by a legitimate NHL 4th liner w/ a big body in his place, this is a great move.

Well let's think here:

-Ebbett, Megna, Sill, Klinkhammer, Rust are all up now and 1 will have to sit tomorrow.
-Kunitz and Bennett and Horny come back and 4 of them will have to go down or sit.
-Another trade and 1 of them becomes the 13th forward(between one of the above and adams)

If Klinkhammer is slotted above Sill on the depth chart then yea, very good chance Sill's time in Pittsburgh will come to an end.

Last edited:

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Admittingly not knowing much about Klinkhammer other than him having an awesome name, its refreshing to see someone with size on the 3rd/4th line. I'm hoping its not another Taylor Pyatt debacle and he doesn't shy away from taking advantage of that big frame.

Wolf Without a Howl

97% Mumps Free
Jan 25, 2013
So now with everyone healthy (minus Duper):

Spaling-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Comeau
Bennett-Sutter-Downie
Klinkhammer-Goc-Adams

With a trade for one winger, Adams sits. If we bring in two, Adams and Klinkhammer sit.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
So now with everyone healthy (minus Duper):

Spaling-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Comeau
Bennett-Sutter-Downie
Klinkhammer-Goc-Adams

With a trade for one winger, Adams sits. If we bring in two, Adams and Klinkhammer sit.

My greatest fear, aside from never being healthy again, is that Adams is slotted about Klink in our depth charts. If that's the case, then we'll need to acquire two wingers AND be healthy to get rid of Adams.

Well, there's always next year to definitely be rid of him, right?

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Adams is NOT getting re-signed. I wouldn't be surprised if he retires anyway. Unless Shero gets a job somewhere no-one is signing him.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
My greatest fear, aside from never being healthy again, is that Adams is slotted about Klink in our depth charts. If that's the case, then we'll need to acquire two wingers AND be healthy to get rid of Adams.

Well, there's always next year to definitely be rid of him, right?

According to Yotes fans he doesn't kill penalties either. Hopefully that's a a matter of opportunity and not ability. Otherwise I could see something like that being potentially held against him or used as justification for keeping 27 in. Ugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad