Confirmed with Link: Pens trade Philip Samuelsson to Arizona for Rob Klinkhammer, conditional 2016 pick

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
According to Yotes fans he doesn't kill penalties either. Hopefully that's a a matter of opportunity and not ability. Otherwise I could see something like that being potentially held against him or used as justification for keeping 27 in. Ugh.

Our PK pairs really should be Sutter/Spaling and Goc/Comeau, sprinkle in Sid,Kunitz and Geno. But I'm afraid you're right, 27 is our PK ace.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Coyotes fan here.

I didn't mind Klinkhammer in AZ. He had a strong start with the team a few years back but he lost his job to Brandon McMillan over the last season and a bit. McMillan has brought it every game while Klinkhammer's effort level has run hot and cold. That doesn't work on Dave Tippett's team.

Klinkhammer has above average offensive skills for a fourth liner. Expecting 10-15 goals shouldn't be unrealistic. Above average shot for a player of his level as well. If he gets a good set-up, he can pick the corners. My one major complaint is for someone who stands 6'4, 220, he rarely uses that size. His style of play doesn't match his name. Doesn't play PK either.

I'll echo this verbatim.

And for the record, Coyotes HF loves Vitale and he's taken a big role on the PK. Forms what we've dubbed the McVictory line with Brandon McMillan. Pretty much doubled the membership of the HF Cult of Joey Victory in less than 4 months.

Coyotes muggles outside HF aren't as enamored with him, but honestly **** them, they don't matter. :naughty:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not going to lie....I freaking love Joey V.

Vitale's gotten some bad puck luck (should have like 4 goals/10 points instead of 2/4) and he's been struggling in the dot due to the new faceoff rules and different breed of Western centers. That being said, he's met my high expectations taking on a very defensive role on the team. Always fun to see him fly in on the forecheck and strip pucks on the back check. And pretty much he and Doan are the only two forwards bringing a consistent and effective physical presence every night.

Just need to find a speedy RW with size, strong board play, and good scoring ability to complete that line.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At least he's got size (though it sounds like he doesn't use it). That's something most of our forwards can't boast about. And at least it hopefully means Sill/Adams are scratched when everyone is healthy -- haha I know, this team will never be fully healthy.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
At least he's got size (though it sounds like he doesn't use it). That's something most of our forwards can't boast about. And at least it hopefully means Sill/Adams are scratched when everyone is healthy -- haha I know, this team will never be fully healthy.

His size could still be very useful even if he doesn't play a particularly physical brand of hockey. Big, rangy players with a long reach can be a pain in the ass to play against in all three zones.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I like this a lot. Hammer shouldn't be more than a 4th liner on a complete lineup, but his offensive skills are an order of magnitude higher than most all our current 4th line winger options, and his size and reach is needed on the bottom 6 no matter who we bring in for the top 6.
I haven't watched a lot of him at all, but if you put any stock in advanced stats Klinkhammer should be a really solid addition for us.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Just in time for Christmas
It's a Klinker

Florida memories... As a kid, visiting, when it was hip to go to the big screen. :)

As for the REAL Klinker, i don't think advance stats lie. A much needed addition as far as depth goes.

Also curious to see how he could do to occasionally patch the top 6, this guy being a deluxe 4th liner.

Crosby klinky?

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
What are the conditions in order for us to get the 2016 5th rounder? X amount of NHL games played this year or next for PS?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
My one major complaint is for someone who stands 6'4, 220, he rarely uses that size. His style of play doesn't match his name.

That sounds a LOT like Taylor Pyatt.

His size could still be very useful even if he doesn't play a particularly physical brand of hockey. Big, rangy players with a long reach can be a pain in the ass to play against in all three zones.

That's what was said of Taylor Pyatt, as well.

I like this a lot. Hammer shouldn't be more than a 4th liner on a complete lineup, but his offensive skills are an order of magnitude higher than most all our current 4th line winger options, and his size and reach is needed on the bottom 6 no matter who we bring in for the top 6.
I haven't watched a lot of him at all, but if you put any stock in advanced stats Klinkhammer should be a really solid addition for us.

You seemed to like the Pyatt waiver claim, too.

If anyone believes this is more than a very short-term stopgap measure, they're in for a massive letdown.

If he's not waived/sent to the AHL at the trade deadline (or earlier), I will eat major crow. And please also understand, I hope I'm very very wrong about this. Few people on this board have been clamoring for more size on this team than I.

But the last time we acquired a big guy who didn't use it was a complete disaster, so I was hoping we didn't go back to that well.

Basically, I'm strongly rooting for Samuelsson to play 40 games in Arizona this season. That's how we win this trade.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
to be fair, the biggest problem with Taylor Pyatt was the fact that the people running the team seemed hell bent on putting him on the 2nd line. No clue how he would have been playing nothing but 4th line minutes.

In any case, it's a low risk move. He can't be worse than Sill/Adams.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I saw him play for Rockford against Wilkes-Barre and wondered why it took so long for someone to give him a look in the NHL. Good effort guy who's forced himself into becoming a big leaguer.

Oh sorry, I meant, rabble rabble rabble Taylor Pyatt rabble rabble.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I saw him play for Rockford against Wilkes-Barre and wondered why it took so long for someone to give him a look in the NHL. Good effort guy who's forced himself into becoming a big leaguer.

Clearly if the Penguins claim someone with size....he's Taylor Pyatt.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
From what I understand, Klinkhammer skates well for his size. He also doesn't hurt his team in terms of possession. So no, he's not Taylor Pyatt.

But I'm sure our 4th line would be much better off replacing Sill with an enforcer opposite of Adams.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
From what I understand, Klinkhammer skates well for his size. He also doesn't hurt his team in terms of possession. So no, he's not Taylor Pyatt.

Pyatt wasn't a bad possession player in his 3 seasons in a Yotes uniform either you know - he had adjusted CF%s of 51.9, 47.6, and 47.5 from 2010-2012.

Klinkhammer is definitely a better skater and can pick corners better than Pyatt. Pyatt at his best though was very good at deflections and cashing in on rebounds. Neither are particularly consistently good at physical play or along the boards despite their size, although I'd also give a slight edge to Klink in both regards.

Klink was very, very good in his first 40 or so games with us, but afterwards he mostly disappeared. I do expect he will provide an immediate boost to your bottom 6, and perhaps playing on an infinitely more skilled team than the Yotes with perennial Cup aspirations may motivate him even further. But I do caution you to temper your expectations - Klink can very well become another Pyatt, although a consolation is that he will be far cheaper if he does.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pyatt wasn't a bad possession player in his 3 seasons in a Yotes uniform either you know - he had adjusted CF%s of 51.9, 47.6, and 47.5 from 2010-2012.

Klinkhammer is definitely a better skater and can pick corners better than Pyatt. Pyatt at his best though was very good at deflections and cashing in on rebounds. Neither are particularly consistently good at physical play or along the boards despite their size, although I'd also give a slight edge to Klink in both regards.

Klink was very, very good in his first 40 or so games with us, but afterwards he mostly disappeared. I do expect he will provide an immediate boost to your bottom 6, and perhaps playing on an infinitely more skilled team than the Yotes with perennial Cup aspirations may motivate him even further. But I do caution you to temper your expectations - Klink can very well become another Pyatt, although a consolation is that he will be far cheaper if he does.

Expectations around here are pretty low for fourth liners.

If he can stickhandle the puck and not lose it to imaginary defenders, he will be an upgrade.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

His good effort this season landed him in the press box seven times.

But I'm sure our 4th line would be much better off replacing Sill with an enforcer opposite of Adams.

Well, not opposite Adams...in replacement of Adams. You're damn skippy!

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011

thats not a good possession player.

Also pyatt was bad because of concussion issues. Klink seems like he doesnt want to play for Arizona anymore.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

My thoughts about the trade is that, at worst, he'll force Sill or Adams out of the lineup - and that's a win.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Taylor Pyatt wasn't horrible when he was on Pittsburgh. You wish that he would have thrown more checks and be physically engaged, but he had some nice performances I thought. It helped that he was strong with the puck around the boards and would set a good screen with his big body. Pyatt shown what he was capable of when he played with Malkin.

Do I wish JR would have got someone tougher? Sure. Although I am just happy that the team is getting some much needed size up-front. If he could be a bigger version of Blake Comeau; that would be a great pick-up.

With him and Goc on the fourth line; this team should finally get an enforcer. I would be a happy camper if this was the situation. Baby steps first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad