Confirmed with Link: Pens trade Philip Samuelsson to Arizona for Rob Klinkhammer, conditional 2016 pick

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Taylor Pyatt wasn't horrible when he was on Pittsburgh. You wish that he would have thrown more checks and be physically engaged, but he had some nice performances I thought. It helped that he was strong with the puck around the boards and would set a good screen with his big body. Pyatt shown what he was capable of when he played with Malkin.

Agreed. I'm not sure what people were expecting. The injuries at forward were piling up and we were icing too many AHLers, as we are now.

We got Pyatt on waivers - we weren't acquiring him to set the world on fire, only to help keep our heads afloat. If Klink can be a slight improvement over Pyatt, that means he'll be a considerable improvement over Sill/Adams/Ebbett, and I'll be satisfied.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
You seemed to like the Pyatt waiver claim, too.

I did. I thought there was a chance he would provide something we really needed at zero risk while having lots of injuries.

Mostly he did not, and perhaps he was just done, but I will certainly never think that he was put in a position to succeed either.... nor that we didn't have other players who deserved being scratched more than him. Did it work out? Not by a LONG shot.

But the last time we acquired a big guy who didn't use it was a complete disaster, so I was hoping we didn't go back to that well.

Just because he is reasonably big doesn't mean he must be a ferocious hitter. He is not. He is a frequent hitter though. He gets in on the forecheck and finish his checks, and when you then look at the competition he has played, the points he has put up and the fact that he has consistently been a plus-player on an average team without being just handed offensive zone starts, there is nothing there suggesting that we aren't getting a real boost to our 4th line. That is all that matters here along with the fact that we will be bigger and better on the boards with this signing.

This is not the kind of solution everyone is/was hoping for, because the real need is top6 related. But that does not mean it isn't part of what we needed all along.

Btw. Stumbled across this article.... http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...-penguins-trade-depth-chart-philip-samuelsson
Kudos to the reporter from me, in echoing my thoughts on this one to the very letter.

Last edited:

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
The problem with the Pyatts of this world is when they are forced up the lineup.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
thats not a good possession player.

Also pyatt was bad because of concussion issues. Klink seems like he doesnt want to play for Arizona anymore.

Since I don't place primacy on possession stats I'm of the opinion that anything north of 50% CF is good - 47% is by no means bad. Yotes have never been a possession oriented team anyways even during the playoff seasons under Tippett.

Klink was getting top 6 minutes w/ Hanzal and Erat (much to our dismay) this season - I'm sure he would not get those opportunities on any other team unless there were a lot of crippling LW injuries. He just doesn't seem to offer much when he's not physically engaged in his play.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Why are people conflating Klinkhammer with Pyatt? Aside from being tall bottom 6 forwards, they really have no similarities at all.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Taylor Pyatt wasn't horrible when he was on Pittsburgh. You wish that he would have thrown more checks and be physically engaged, but he had some nice performances I thought. It helped that he was strong with the puck around the boards and would set a good screen with his big body. Pyatt shown what he was capable of when he played with Malkin.

Do I wish JR would have got someone tougher? Sure. Although I am just happy that the team is getting some much needed size up-front. If he could be a bigger version of Blake Comeau; that would be a great pick-up.

With him and Goc on the fourth line; this team should finally get an enforcer. I would be a happy camper if this was the situation. Baby steps first.

Absolutely. That way, they can be the only team in the NHL with an enforcer! :laugh:

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Had jetlag, too, according to his postgame.

Hope he keeps it up. Was pretty much perfect in his role today.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
5 on 5 FF%, Colonel was literally the best on the Coyotes at 53.8%. The best on the team. He doesn't need to pot more than an occasional goal, he just needs to give Goc someone that he can give and go with and force the opposing D to make plays and he'll be better than most of our bottom 6.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i like him already. if we are ever healthy and actually acquire two top six wingers, all ofa sudden adams is... 14th on the depth chart. and for this alone this is worth it

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
Absolutely. That way, they can be the only team in the NHL with an enforcer! :laugh:

Yeah, we seem to already be in the ref's crosshairs, for whatever reason this season, all we need is a person who's job is to fight and he'd be going to the penalty box just for putting his sweater on.

DieSuperFly

Nov 23, 2011
On December 2, 2011, Klinkhammer was traded to the Ottawa Senators for a conditional seventh-round 2013 draft pick.[4] He reported to the Senators' AHL affiliate Binghamton Senators. He played his second NHL game and first with the Senators on March 4, 2012 against the Florida Panthers. After that game, Ottawa coach Paul MacLean was impressed, calling Klinkhammer "one of our best players".[5]

On July 3, 2012, Klinkhammer signed as a free agent with the Phoenix Coyotes. With the 2012 NHL lockout in affect, he was assigned to AHL affiliate the Portland Pirates. He scored his first career hat trick Oct. 23, 2012. When the lockout finally ended in January 2013 Klinkhammer was still in Portland, however he was soon called up to the NHL and made a name for himself with the Coyotes earning the nickname "The Colonel" (after Colonel Klink from the TV sitcom Hogan's Heroes) for his stellar on-ice performance.

Posted in other thread. Potential?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm starting to warm up to him, for sure. He definitely looked comfortable on Malkin's left wing last night. If he can somehow channel his inner-Ruslan Fedotenko and become a tad more consistent, we might have something here.

It would be HUGE (pardon the pun) if Klinkhammer could lessen our need for a big body in the top six.

I still think we need two wingers, but maybe winger upgrades now for Kunitz and Comeau.

Please keep it going, 20.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'm starting to warm up to him, for sure. He definitely looked comfortable on Malkin's left wing last night. If he can somehow channel his inner-Ruslan Fedotenko and become a tad more consistent, we might have something here.

It would be HUGE (pardon the pun) if Klinkhammer could lessen our need for a big body in the top six.

I still think we need two wingers, but maybe winger upgrades now for Kunitz and Comeau.

Please keep it going, 20.

In theory, and on paper, he has the attributes I'd like for a linemate of Malkin's, big, not a bad skater, will play physical, and has a bonus scoring touch. He needs to consistently drive the net and hang out in the dirty areas, which by his history he probably won't do. But for now, he's a reasonable stopgap, and should be fine on the 4th line.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
After 4 games Klinkhammer seems to be exactly what was advertised.

1 goal
1 assist
+1
17 hits
63.2 Fenwick%
60.9 Corsi %

He is getting a lot of O zone starts but he's been better than anyone had a right to expect on a return for baby Ulf.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Klink's been good and will be great in the role he is supposed to play here (4th line) but he's not a solution to the top 6. You can't have Klink-Geno-Comeau long term. Having one bottom 6er flanking Geno is fine, but not 2.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Klink's been good and will be great in the role he is supposed to play here (4th line) but he's not a solution to the top 6. You can't have Klink-Geno-Comeau long term. Having one bottom 6er flanking Geno is fine, but not 2.

Well, yeah. Klink-Goc-Whoever looks like a 4th line you can trust to take regular shifts.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, yeah. Klink-Goc-Whoever looks like a 4th line you can trust to take regular shifts.

Klink-Goc-Comeau would be an awesome fourth line for the playoffs... assuming, of course, that Adams was a scratch, and the Pens had acquired enough actual top 6 players to make that happen.

I think it says something about the last few years that I had to put that disclaimer in... :help:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Klink-Goc-Comeau would be an awesome fourth line for the playoffs... assuming, of course, that Adams was a scratch, and the Pens had acquired enough actual top 6 players to make that happen.

I think it says something about the last few years that I had to put that disclaimer in... :help:

I'd put the probability of Comeau seeing the 4th line as 1%. He's just playing too well.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

I agree. I'm just wondering if we'd be better off with Klinkhammer on Malkin's line over Comeau. I don't expect Comeau's offense to remain throughout the season (and playoffs). It comes down to which one of Klinkhammer or Comeau can be the better complementary winger next to Malkin and a new top-six acquisition.

I suppose it will probably depend on the skill set of said new top-six acquisition.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I agree. I'm just wondering if we'd be better off with Klinkhammer on Malkin's line over Comeau. I don't expect Comeau's offense to remain throughout the season (and playoffs). It comes down to which one of Klinkhammer or Comeau can be the better complementary winger next to Malkin and a new top-six acquisition.

I suppose it will probably depend on the skill set of said new top-six acquisition.

It would also depend on who is hot - both players have a history of being somewhat streaky in their efforts, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad