Confirmed with Link: Pens trade for Spencer Machacek

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
What's the purpose here?

Outside of Sill and Zolnierczyk, the Pens' minor league call ups are mostly smallish guys like Ebbett and Conner or middle of the road guys like Drazenovic.

This gives them a gritty, defensively responsible player who plays a 4th line checking type of game.

It makes plenty of sense given Thompson's struggles and Sill's uncertain status.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Ok. So next question: If we try to play him in the AHL, will another team be able to or even want to claim him? Since he's already playing in the AHL, I assume he doesn't need to clear?

He's already cleared waivers once this season and has 0 games/0 days in the NHL since, so he's got 10 games/30 days on his waiver exemption.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

4167141+_63b92472c610bd84feec075dbb80df72.gif

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Outside of Sill and Zolnierczyk, the Pens' minor league call ups are mostly smallish guys like Ebbett and Conner or middle of the road guys like Drazenovic.

This gives them a gritty, defensively responsible player who plays a 4th line checking type of game.

It makes plenty of sense given Thompson's struggles and Sill's uncertain status.

What's the deal with Payerl anyway?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Kobasew was signed as a free agent, not traded for. Either way...Kobasew is bad, yes, but signing him wasn't a bad idea per se because the Pens were strapped for cap space and needed bottom 6 guys.

Lol I meant replacing Kobesew with this guy since he is virtually an AHL player

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Machacek is a better/more useful player than Paul Thompson.
Not sure there is much of a point to this NHL-wise, but it should improve the WBS where Thompson wasn't providing much of anything.

metalan2

May 30, 2008

Thank you. I knew zero about him.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
I liked him when he played in junior, he does have NHL capabilities, which Thompson does not. He'll most certainly help the baby Pens, and should our injury woes continue this year it would not surprise me in the least to see him called up for some time. I think fans will be pleasantly surprised, even if he only plays in the AHL.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

What's wrong with Sill?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Seems like just a random minor league trade. Although I'd imagine Waddell might have something to do with this since he drafted Machacek in Atlanta.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Like Zolnierczyk, who 95% of the board hated with a burning passion as soon as they heard we dealt Alex ****ing Grant for him, even though they all like him now and criticize DB for not playing him.

I still hate him. But beggars can't be choosers and we're beggars with our bottom 6.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Like Zolnierczyk, who 95% of the board hated with a burning passion as soon as they heard we dealt Alex ****ing Grant for him, even though they all like him now and criticize DB for not playing him.

I didn't much care about Z either way and considered him a pure depth acquisition (I've been positively surprised although depth is still what he is and should be with a healthy lineup), but generally I think the only reason some people here hated him was his Flyers past, and the 'dirty *******' rep people automatically assigned to him.

It certainly had nothing to do with Alex friggin Grant :D .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad