Confirmed with Link: Pens trade for Spencer Machacek

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I guess the obvious question (apart from "who is Spencer Machanek?") would be "why the Hell would Winnipeg send a guy with his NHL numbers back down?"

If he was tiny, I might understand, but 9 points in 13 games with the Jets gets him an AHL assignment and he's never given a second chance...I don't get it.

cocainesahellofadrug.jpg

(Legal notice: i have no reason to suspect that Spencer Machanek snorts cocaine.)

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Dig this move.

Machacek has a game suitable for a bottom six role, definitely some sandpaper.

Thompson likely tops out as a scorer in the AHL or Europe.

Last edited:

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
His assists are pretty nice. And of course he had his first multi-point game (points 2 and 3) against the pens.

edit: And in that game Tanner Glass had an assist, 16:48 of ice time and 9 hits for the Jets (so not just Bylsma :laugh:). Pens won 8-4. Neal 3+1, Malkin 2+3 and Crosby 0+4

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Let's stop the ******** "Plan the parade!" posts. If we have nothing to say about the trade, move along.

ShatteredGlass

∞ Posts Deleted :)
Dec 19, 2011
Pittsburgh / Vegas
Machacek*

Thank you. :laugh:

From what I recall, he was a player Winnipeg fans generally liked in his limited time there. Also saw limited time in Atlanta before the move, albeit, he didn't put up any numbers in that time. I think he can definitely be a good replacement/upgrade over Thompson for WBS, however, I don't think it's likely he'll see significant time with the big club barring major injuries *knocks on wood*

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Ok. So next question: If we try to play him in the AHL, will another team be able to or even want to claim him? Since he's already playing in the AHL, I assume he doesn't need to clear?

I think that as he is already in the AHL he is fine. If we were to call him up then I'd assume that he would need to go through waivers only when he goes back down.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I like this deal of course. Thompson is not gonna pan out after-all.

Big motor, showed some scoring at NHL level, supposedly cares a lot. He looked good in the one game I saw him, played hard, flashed a little skill. I mean, he was noticeable....

And he gets to spend the Olympic break learning the system at WBS. Good timing on the trade too.

I just don't get him bring sent down though. Something happened. Speculation - maybe a Ted Nolan type situation?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Ok. So next question: If we try to play him in the AHL, will another team be able to or even want to claim him? Since he's already playing in the AHL, I assume he doesn't need to clear?

I think that as he is already in the AHL he is fine. If we were to call him up then I'd assume that he would need to go through waivers only when he goes back down.

What Shrimper said

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
We signed Thompson and Gibbons right around the same time. I had higher hopes for Thompson but Gibbons obviously panned out better over the last year and this. I know next to nothing about Machacek though.

Yeah Thompson and Gibbons were our two big Hockey East free agents signed in the 2011 off-season. Gibbons with his amazing speed has proven the better pro, Thompson is/was something of a one trick pony who doesn't help your team if he doesn't score. He obviously fell out of favor with coach Hynes this season, and I doubt we would have re-signed him with Zlobin there now and Dea coming in next season. So Thompson gets a fresh start with Springfield, and WBS gets a litte more versatile guy in Machacek.

Pittsburgh most likely didn't gain much but certainly lost nothing in this trade.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
We signed Thompson and Gibbons right around the same time. I had higher hopes for Thompson but Gibbons obviously panned out better over the last year and this. I know next to nothing about Machacek though.

Which is about as opposite as I thought it would go. Thompson intrigued me with his shot, skill, and size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad