Confirmed with Link: Pens trade 1st (No. 31) + Oskar Sundqvist for Ryan Reaves and Blues 2nd (No. 51)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
A physical forecheck that wears down the opposition defense is a big part of what makes the Penguins successful. Reaves only adds to that. For that reason alone I'm happy with this trade. Little expensive but whatever.

We took over the finals when we were finally able to establish our forecheck, again, he only adds to this.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Thinking about that cap hit, though, this trade is just reminding me more and more of something Shero would do. Wasn't one of the major complaints on this board that he spent veteran money on 4th liners who didn't produce much instead of going with younger, cheaper guys who had the potential to eventually play higher in the lineup?

What's the difference between that and this, other than the fact that JR traded assets for the privilege?

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
So, as much as I have been arguing on the good trade side, I do have one issue with this deal. Penalty Killing.
We now have the following regulars that didn't kill penalties last year-
Sid
Sheary
Guentzel
Malkin
Kessel
Hornqvist
Wilson
Reaves

That leaves Rust, Hagelin, Rowney, and a new center or Bones. That is incredibly thin.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Thinking about that cap hit, though, this trade is just reminding me more and more of something Shero would do. Wasn't one of the major complaints on this board that he spent veteran money on 4th liners who didn't produce much instead of going with younger, cheaper guys who had the potential to eventually play higher in the lineup?

What's the difference between that and this, other than the fact that JR traded assets for the privilege?

Eh, we have enough of those guys. Reaves gives us a new dynamic.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Then sell him as a guy who will be an upgrade to the actual play of the fourth line. Stupid price to pay for it, no matter how small it is, but fine sell him as a guy who can elevate your fourth line with his play.

But who are we kidding, given the comments by JR there is some fantasy that this will prevent cheap shots on our stars. People are going to be sorely disappointed if that fairy tale is the expectation.

And worse, Reaves knows those expectations. Which means that he will not be that elevated fourth liner but will be running around like an idiot because someone checked Crosby.

Again, I do not care about the price, I reject the premise completely that adding him will do anything to 'protect' Crosby or our other stars, and saying that I completely fail to see the point of him

This sums it up nicely for me.

Reaves might be a solid 4th liner with the ability to land devastating hits on the forecheck, and be one of (if not THE) best in the league when the gloves come off. The idea that the Penguins traded for him to protect their stars won't be lost on him, and I just don't want to see him taking stupid penalties to try and fill some quota, or justify his spot to the coaching staff/GM/fanbase.

Agreed about the protection thing. Reaves isn't gonna do squat to stop that stuff from happening, just like the handful of previous guys didn't do anything to prevent it either. I just hope he's a good enough player to be worthy of a spot on a team that's worked its ass off to turn itself around and build an identity on speed, skill, and discipline over the past couple of years that has in large part lead to back to back Cups.

Dr Frasier Crane

Oct 16, 2008
Boston, MA
So, as much as I have been arguing on the good trade side, I do have one issue with this deal. Penalty Killing.
We now have the following regulars that didn't kill penalties last year-
Sid
Sheary
Guentzel
Malkin
Kessel
Hornqvist
Wilson
Reaves

That leaves Rust, Hagelin, Rowney, and a new center or Bones. That is incredibly thin.

But Subdqvist wasn't going to be doing this anyway, nor was the player selected at 31.

Get what you're saying in that it's one less body to put toward the effort, but I want to see who we sign in FA before I get too worried about it.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
But Subdqvist wasn't going to be doing this anyway, nor was the player selected at 31.

Get what you're saying in that it's one less body to put toward the effort, but I want to see who we sign in FA before I get too worried about it.

That's not my point. I could care less about Sundqvist or finding penalty killers. My point is those 8 will be in the lineup night in and night out. Having only 4 guys to kill is not a good plan. What if Hagelin takes a penalty and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad