Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Noesen

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only reason this is somewhat surprising is because the Penguins are using up one of their 50 NHL contracts. Are you sure about using one of your last slots (if not the last slot) on a depth forward who's in WBS if you ever manage to get healthy? I'm just not sure about it.

They probably need to move a forward for a pick or an unsigned prospect at some point with this move. I wouldn't complain if they did that with someone like ZAR, I don't consider Noesen a noticeable downgrade on ZAR.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The only reason this is somewhat surprising is because the Penguins are using up one of their 50 NHL contracts. Are you sure about using one of your last slots (if not the last slot) on a depth forward who's in WBS if you ever manage to get healthy? I'm just not sure about it.

They probably need to move a forward for a pick or an unsigned prospect at some point with this move. I wouldn't complain if they did that with someone like ZAR, I don't consider Noesen a noticeable downgrade on ZAR.

they can also just terminate a AHL contract of one of the vets there...that would do it

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
they can also just terminate a AHL contract of one of the vets there...that would do it

That doesn't help with this. WBS does have too many veterans (although that was alleviated somewhat with the Cramarossa trade), but that's a separate issue entirely. The only way to clear a NHL contract slot would be a trade or losing a guy to waivers. It's why guys like Sprong and Goldobin cleared waivers, teams didn't want to take on the additional contract even if they were better than what they had internally.

To add though, I do think Noesen is a solid player:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
What was the timing on this one? Before or after Hornqvist went down in practice? :laugh: If it was after, that's a pretty clear indication that he may be on the shelf for a while.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
What was the timing on this one? Before or after Hornqvist went down in practice? :laugh: If it was after, that's a pretty clear indication that he may be on the shelf for a while.

It wasn't announced until after the news on Hornqvist. I suspect it's a direct result of that though it's tough to be sure. There are so many injured it could have been in the works ahead of all that, already.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Certainly there’s a way to terminate an NHL deal like say Graham Knott.. probably just buy it out? Or tell Palve to go back to Finland.

Assuming Hallander, Addison, Olund, Legare and Poulin slide / don’t count we’re at 49 with Noesen.

Reactions: Andy99

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Good for him though... from no summer contract offers... to a Dallas camp invite but released.. to an AHL deal from his old junior coach, played lights in the A and now he’s back in the NHL. My expectations are low but I hope he sticks.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Noesen was pretty good a few years ago for the Devils. I'm kinda surprised it took him this long to get back to the NHL.

I think he could be a productive player here.

Reactions: steelcityassault

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Couldn't we just trade a guy for future considerations to free up a slot? or throw in a prospect like Olund?

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Dude - PH went down in practice? Seriously?
exactly my reaction as well...it's been ridiculous already but it keeps escalating. i'm gonna start looking into collusion if this keeps happening. someone's gotta pay!

Reactions: ncm7772

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
I think the question is if the Pens get healthy, would he clear waivers back down?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad