Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Noesen

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Noesen was pretty good a few years ago for the Devils. I'm kinda surprised it took him this long to get back to the NHL.

I think he could be a productive player here.

I do like Noesen, I was just a little confused by the move. Especially with the added context that Blandisi was waived and sent back to WBS, I just don't really get it. Noesen is better than Blandisi, but "better" to the point of spending a contract slot on him? I wouldn't have thought that a depth forward was a big enough need to do this, even with their injuries. It's just a little surprising, even with Noesen's hot start in WBS.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I do like Noesen, I was just a little confused by the move. Especially with the added context that Blandisi was waived and sent back to WBS, I just don't really get it. Noesen is better than Blandisi, but "better" to the point of spending a contract slot on him? I wouldn't have thought that a depth forward was a big enough need to do this, even with their injuries. It's just a little surprising, even with Noesen's hot start in WBS.

Noesen scored almost 15 goals a few years ago and Blandisi has never come close to that. So he might be more than a marginal upgrade on Blandisi.

Guess it depends what type of player he is now though. It's a little puzzling he didn't get a job earlier given his previous success in the league. There must be some reason teams were wary of him. Injuries I suppose.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019

Noesen's a right wing, which is what they need.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
The only reason this is somewhat surprising is because the Penguins are using up one of their 50 NHL contracts. Are you sure about using one of your last slots (if not the last slot) on a depth forward who's in WBS if you ever manage to get healthy? I'm just not sure about it.

They probably need to move a forward for a pick or an unsigned prospect at some point with this move. I wouldn't complain if they did that with someone like ZAR, I don't consider Noesen a noticeable downgrade on ZAR.
This suggests the extra contract is not a problem:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">FYI, the Penguins still aren&#39;t up against their 50 contract limit. Noesen&#39;s is #49, but the ones sliding -- Legare, Poulin, Addison, Hallander -- don&#39;t count. So they&#39;re at 45.</p>&mdash; Taylor Haase (@TaylorHaasePGH) <a href="">December 2, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
What was the timing on this one? Before or after Hornqvist went down in practice? :laugh: If it was after, that's a pretty clear indication that he may be on the shelf for a while.
This suggests Noesen came into town last night, which would mean it wasn't prompted by Horny's injury this morning:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">FYI, the Penguins still aren&#39;t up against their 50 contract limit. Noesen&#39;s is #49, but the ones sliding -- Legare, Poulin, Addison, Hallander -- don&#39;t count. So they&#39;re at 45.</p>&mdash; Taylor Haase (@TaylorHaasePGH) <a href="">December 2, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, the wheels were in motion before Horny went down.
Think the brass needed to try something cuz some of the depth guys just ain't puttin' pucks in the net on a consistent basis. ZAR, Simon, Blueger, etc.

Noesen scored almost 15 goals a few years ago and Blandisi has never come close to that. So he might be more than a marginal upgrade on Blandisi.

Guess it depends what type of player he is now though. It's a little puzzling he didn't get a job earlier given his previous success in the league. There must be some reason teams were wary of him. Injuries I suppose.

He played thru a knee injury last season.

Bottom line here is they needed to try to get more goal scoring, especially when Rust went down. I'm betting thats when talks heated up about an NHL deal.

Like i said in other threads, he's sort of a Justin Williams-esque type player. Not gonna blow by guys with speed but plays a heavy, smart game. Has an NHL shot and loves tips/the blue paint.

Found this interesting. Heh.

Former Devil Stefan Noesen working his way back to the NHL with WBS Penguins

Looking back at Noesen's NHL stats, the team he consistently performed the best against with the Devils was the Penguins, against whom he recorded three goals and three assists in six games, including a game-winning goal on Feb. 27, 2018.
"They were one of my favorite teams to play against, honestly. I don't know if it was the way they play and the way I play, I was kind of the pest against them every time at home," he said with a laugh. "I always played against the (Evgeni) Malkin line, and he was always getting frustrated against our line. We go in there, we always had some good success overall. For whatever reason it just happened to be like that."

Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Can we please fire idiot Sullivan now?
Dec 11, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
This is a solid signing and not surprising considering how he’s been tearing it up in WBS. He has something to prove and players with that mentality are usually the most dangerous.

I think this will probably be low key one of the best signings (aside from Marino) in the league this season.

Reactions: Louis Hensler

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

:laugh: I've given up trying to make sense of the contract count.

Last count I had, this put us at 49 and that was with those 4 sliding. JR said the number would be 50. Now TH says 45. :help:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
They’re at 48 now by my count:

Crosby
Malkin
Hornqvist
Rust
Guentzel
Bjugstad
McCann
Lafferty
ZAR
Blueger
Kahun
Tanev
Galchenyuk
Simon
Blandisi
Noesen
A. Johnson
Drozg
Haggerty
Almeida
Bellerive
Miletic
Lucchini
Knott
Palve
Agozzino
Angello
Bjorkqvist
DiPauli
Martinsen

Letang
Dumoulin
Schultz
Pettersson
J. Johnson
Marino
Ruhwedel
Trotman
Riikola
Czuczman
Warsofsky
Almari
POJ

Murray
Jarry
DeSmith
Larmi
d’Orio

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

She's wrong because the Penguins are at 49 contracts without including those 4 players. They used one of their last 2 spots on signing Noesen, because the contracts she mentioned already weren't included in the 50 contract limit.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
CZKxqgR.gif

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Meh as they get healthy ( if they get healthy lol) they will be forced to make some moves... I'm assuming at some point we will see either a multi player for fewer players back type deal or deals for picks and futures...

Reactions: Extra Texture

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I swear Noesen lurks and posts here. I'm happy he got the deal, WBS gonna be real ass now
Or someone else gets the ice time and chances he got and also makes the best of it with hard work that will possibly pay off. Like Adam Johnson in over that skidmark on the Penguins roster, Zach Aston-Reese.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Or someone else gets the ice time and chances he got and also makes the best of it with hard work that will possibly pay off. Like Adam Johnson in over that skidmark on the Penguins roster, Zach Aston-Reese.

I mean I hope, I just don't see someone replacing his production right away. He was the top goalscorer by far down there, Noesen also has a far better pedigree than Johnson

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean I hope, I just don't see someone replacing his production right away. He was the top goalscorer by far down there, Noesen also has a far better pedigree than Johnson
To be fair, we haven't seen Noesen on this roster/system, but we know what we have in Adam Johnson on a 4th line role, which is all I would ever expect out of AJ anyway. But in WBS, I am curious if some of the other kids step up, there's some goal scoring heavy lifting that needs to be done.

Also, AJ is on the same ppg pace as Noesen in WBS. So it's not entirely a stretch production wise, goal scoring wise...yeah.

WBS isn't that deep for scoring, which is weird since a lot of us were very hyped with guys like Bjorkqvist (inj) and Bellerive were joining the team full time this season. Bellerive has 2 goals, the leading scorer (Noesen) has 14, then the next is Agozzino with 10 and then it's 5 and 3....yikes.

Wasn't the new coach supposed to be a breath of fresh air for offense?

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
To be fair, we haven't seen Noesen on this roster/system, but we know what we have in Adam Johnson on a 4th line role, which is all I would ever expect out of AJ anyway. But in WBS, I am curious if some of the other kids step up, there's some goal scoring heavy lifting that needs to be done.

Also, AJ is on the same ppg pace as Noesen in WBS. So it's not entirely a stretch production wise, goal scoring wise...yeah.

WBS isn't that deep for scoring, which is weird since a lot of us were very hyped with guys like Bjorkqvist (inj) and Bellerive were joining the team full time this season. Bellerive has 2 goals, the leading scorer (Noesen) has 14, then the next is Agozzino with 10 and then it's 5 and 3....yikes.

Wasn't the new coach supposed to be a breath of fresh air for offense?

I think Bjorkqvist is out the rest of the season too bleh. I hadn't realized Johnson was pacing the same points wise. If this affords him a bigger role then thats gonna be good for his development. He should be playing up here instead of Riko at wing but shit happens i guess.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think Bjorkqvist is out the rest of the season too bleh. I hadn't realized Johnson was pacing the same points wise. If this affords him a bigger role then thats gonna be good for his development. He should be playing up here instead of Riko at wing but **** happens i guess.

Riko should be in WBS developing, I don't understand why this team refuses to do the right thing with him, the tools are there, the experience/development isn't and here we are, using him at f***ing wing?

As for AJ, I want him up over ZAR. I hate ZAR. But I am hoping he takes that team under his wing and really starts to lead them, it's time for him to start showing that.

Johnson-Blueger-Lafferty has the speed, smarts, and tenacity to be effective. Aston-reese is just...he scored a goal a few games back, so now Sully loves his boy even more.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad