Confirmed with Link: Pens Sign Goalie Filip Gustavsson to a Three-Year Entry-Level Contract

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I read your post clearly, how could I not? It was three sentences long. Jarry's prospect status really doesn't mean a lot because he's a goalie. The failure rate is even higher than normal at that position. Matt Murray hasn't exactly proven his durability yet and Jarry hasn't proven anything at all. Gustavsson may have seemed like a luxury when he was drafted, but that doesn't make him expendable IMO. He most likely has more value to us than anything we'd be able to trade him for right now. Goalies, especially ones who haven't even come over to NA yet, don't tend to have a lot of trade value.

So you're saying he's untouchable?

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
So you're saying he's untouchable?

Not in the least. I'm saying that it makes no sense to trade him now given the circumstances of our goaltending situation and the fact that I don't believe he currently has the value to be worth trading. From what I've observed over the years, a goalie's value generally follows a U curve - it's very high when you draft them, then it falls substantially as they establish themselves before rising sharply if they prove to be good enough. Accordingly, I think we'd most likely be selling Gustavsson for less than we invested in him and that makes zero sense to me.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I said the same thing last year but now since theyre gonna ship Flower out what makes me nervous is NEVER SEEING MATT MURRAY MAKE 60+ STARTS IN THE REGULAR SEASON AND PLAYING THRU THE PLAYOFFS. The Murray pom pom folks like to discount this but your putting a lot of trust in a guy he though he played great in the playoffs, he has never been THE GUY in the NHL. I said it first......we will regret not having MAF for the next 2 years.

So what are you and the other Fleury fan boys gonna do now? Are you guys going to become fans of Vegas to continue cheering for Fleury? Or are you going to stay but just complain about the Penguins keeping Murray, like my grandpa used to complain about Germany losing WWII?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
So what are you and the other Fleury fan boys gonna do now? Are you guys going to become fans of Vegas to continue cheering for Fleury? Or are you going to stay but just complain about the Penguins keeping Murray, like my grandpa used to complain about Germany losing WWII?

I can't wait to see them descend upon the Vegas board if things go south. That board will not know what hit them, haha.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yeah, trading Gustavsson makes little sense to me. As stated, it is not like he has much value. And to consider our goalie position locked down, is incredibly optimistic at best. Even if it was for argument's sake, it doesn't even begin to necessitate trading him at this point. Years away from that.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

220px-Aptpupilposter.jpg

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Not in the least. I'm saying that it makes no sense to trade him now given the circumstances of our goaltending situation and the fact that I don't believe he currently has the value to be worth trading. From what I've observed over the years, a goalie's value generally follows a U curve - it's very high when you draft them, then it falls substantially as they establish themselves before rising sharply if they prove to be good enough. Accordingly, I think we'd most likely be selling Gustavsson for less than we invested in him and that makes zero sense to me.

I wasn't advocating any position. I stated very factually that IF there was a team in the late 1st/early 2nd that wanted a goalie, liked Gustavsson, AND the Pens liked a Dman who was on the board at that spot as much or more, then a move like this could be possible. That's a lot of IF's, and thus I am not expecting this to happen, but my point was it wouldn't surprise me either if that were to happen.

I don't know why this would be a controversial suggestion. Pens drafted Filip last year either because they felt it was a positional need and/or because they thought he was the BPA. If they feel this is now a position of organizational depth and there is someone on the board they think is an even better fit for our organization compared to Gustavsson, then they could make such a move.

This is really just stating the obvious and something that could generically be applied to any prospect on any team. The only difference now is at this time last year there may have been some questions about Jarry and over-confidence in certain D prospects (i.e. Pouliot). Given that such a perspective may now be inverted, I would take an equally good Dman prospect over another G prospect if the Pens think Jarry is the real deal.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I wasn't advocating any position. I stated very factually that IF there was a team in the late 1st/early 2nd that wanted a goalie, liked Gustavsson, AND the Pens liked a Dman who was on the board at that spot as much or more, then a move like this could be possible. That's a lot of IF's, and thus I am not expecting this to happen, but my point was it wouldn't surprise me either if that were to happen.

I don't know why this would be a controversial suggestion. Pens drafted Filip last year either because they felt it was a positional need and/or because they thought he was the BPA. If they feel this is now a position of organizational depth and there is someone on the board they think is an even better fit for our organization compared to Gustavsson, then they could make such a move.

This is really just stating the obvious and something that could generically be applied to any prospect on any team. The only difference now is at this time last year there may have been some questions about Jarry and over-confidence in certain D prospects (i.e. Pouliot). Given that such a perspective may now be inverted, I would take an equally good Dman prospect over another G prospect if the Pens think Jarry is the real deal.

It seemed pretty clear that they thought Gustavsson was the BPA. I can't imagine they'd have soured on him already nor can I imagine other teams wanting him specifically to the extent that they'd give us something significant nor do I think we're in the position to be bleeding off goaltending depth right now.

There's nothing wrong with suggesting it, but I don't think there's any chance it happens and, IMO, there's no chance it should happen. With that said, yes, any prospect is theoretically expendable for the right return.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I really like Gus and cant wait until he comes over. He seems to carry a lot of the same assets Murray has. Big fluid and gets square to pucks is a nice start but you can read about him being headstrong and a competitor too. Everything else can be molded.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
It seemed pretty clear that they thought Gustavsson was the BPA. I can't imagine they'd have soured on him already nor can I imagine other teams wanting him specifically to the extent that they'd give us something significant nor do I think we're in the position to be bleeding off goaltending depth right now.

There's nothing wrong with suggesting it, but I don't think there's any chance it happens and, IMO, there's no chance it should happen. With that said, yes, any prospect is theoretically expendable for the right return.

It's not that they would've soured on him it's the fact that we desperately need promising D prospects. We literally don't have any. Giving up our third most coveted but still highly touted goalie for an equal D prospect would be a smart move, and I'd argue almost a necessity.

If Jarry (who seems like he's coming along) pans out we could theoretically have the goaltending position covered for the next 15 years regardless of circumstance. That's why I've said before that I don't think Gustavsson even sets foot in North America before he's the property of another team.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Always a little hesitant with goaltenders that like to sit back in their net. Gustavsson isn't like a Rinne or Murray where he can afford to do that because of size. He's going to have to rectify that or he'll get picked apart.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I don't see the point of moving him.. It's not like his value is high enough to move him for a top 4 d prospect.. I don't think we'd be able to get anything significant for him

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
It's not that they would've soured on him it's the fact that we desperately need promising D prospects. We literally don't have any. Giving up our third most coveted but still highly touted goalie for an equal D prospect would be a smart move, and I'd argue almost a necessity.

If Jarry (who seems like he's coming along) pans out we could theoretically have the goaltending position covered for the next 15 years regardless of circumstance. That's why I've said before that I don't think Gustavsson even sets foot in North America before he's the property of another team.

That's the issue, I don't think a highly touted goalie prospect, especially one who is unproven in NA, gets you an equal D prospect. The latter have considerably more value in the trade market.

Yes, if Jarry pans out, we could theoretically have the position covered for the next 15 years. However, let's say he doesn't. Then let's say that Murray, for all of his ability, proves to be an injury prone guy. Then let's say that Gustavsson develops into what we were hoping Jarry would. That's not any less plausible than the scenario you propose.

You may well be right that Gustavsson never plays a game in a Pens uniform, but the time to move him isn't now.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
There's not much history in the way of a goaltending prospect like him being dealt I don't think off the top of my head. Rask for Raycroft is misleading because JFJR was a friggin' idiot. Other than that no other examples are coming to me.

For a team that needs a goalie in the pipeline and is planning on being relevant in a few years (AZ, NJ, maybe even PHI come to mind) I don't think it'd be out of whack to trade a solid D prospect for him. I'm not talking about a grade A prospect, so I think we're a little closer to agreeing than it seems. I wouldn't even be this bold if we had something, anything in our system for defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad