Confirmed with Link: Pens Sign Goalie Filip Gustavsson to a Three-Year Entry-Level Contract

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.
*all facebook sports fans.

That place is a magnet of the dregs of the worst of any fandom...and when you have a large fandom the volume of idiots can be overwhelming.

The sheer lack of understanding about how anything works is ****ing hilarious. The Pens were able to make the situation work this past year, so that means it must be possible to make it work for all future years, to hell with the salary cap, expansion draft, and what Fleury himself wants!

i can't believe we signed some finnish guy to replace fleury as our starting goalie next year...

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
If you want a laugh, read the Facebook comments on this announcement. They're almost all about Fleury.
Fleury isn't technically gone yet and they already signed the new goalie .... could have been more respectful

is this good? Flower just cleaned out his locker MAN!

Murray better be ready to face the same fate some day like MAF did. Pittsburgh just does not want to pay goaltenders a lot of money.

I don't like change

that was quick for a back for Murray

Should've kept flurey

We don't want him we want to keep Marc

There's many, many more, but holy ****.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Fleury isn't technically gone yet and they already signed the new goalie .... could have been more respectful

is this good? Flower just cleaned out his locker MAN!

Murray better be ready to face the same fate some day like MAF did. Pittsburgh just does not want to pay goaltenders a lot of money.

I don't like change

that was quick for a back for Murray

Should've kept flurey

We don't want him we want to keep Marc

There's many, many more, but holy ****.

Its not their fault.. I blame the people for taking anything they say seriously. They're casual fans...thats the type of stuff you hear in every city from people like that. Why pay attention to it? You already know they r gonna say dumb ****.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Its not their fault.. I blame the people for taking anything they say seriously. They're casual fans...thats the type of stuff you hear in every city from people like that. Why pay attention to it? You already know they r gonna say dumb ****.

I'm not taking them seriously but I see no reason either to give people a pass for being ignorant of the fact they are ignorant and shooting their mouths off.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm not taking them seriously but I see no reason either to give people a pass for being ignorant of the fact they are ignorant and shooting their mouths off.[/QUOTE

You're gonna be pretty busy then. A lot more people out there like that than not. :laugh:

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
So apparently an ELC that kicks in during the summer of 2018 means both Fleury and Murray are out of a job?

This Gustavsson guy must be one helluva signing. Kudos to JR for finding him.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Do these people even realize he was our first round draft pick from last year? And that he was touted as the best Euro goalie in last years draft:laugh:

A lot of them are probably full time Steelers fans who follow the Pens part time. To them Fleury is their Roethisburger and that how they identify him.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
In that same time frame, he has won 2 Cups. He's 23, he's a top 5 goalie and there's quite a bit more room for growth. Your counter is that he had a few injuries to different parts of his body. Wow.

Simply put, there is no argument you can make for trading him that isn't ridiculous. You can't say "I know that he's won two cups" as if that's something you can casually wave away. It's the most important data point by orders of magnitude.[/QUOTE]

This year's run (and last year's victory over the Caps), not to mention MAF's post-2009 meltdowns, should highlight how some goalies crack under the pressure of the Cup run and some don't. Bob (this year and pretty much through his whole career), Holtby (x2 years) and Rinne (in the finals) all played like crap when the pressure was ratcheted up. Last year and this year, Murray never buckled and this year posted 2 shutouts in the final two games.

Murray's a gem. Yeah, he's got some flaws that can be fixed/improved, but the mental aspect of his game is unique.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
This year's run (and last year's victory over the Caps), not to mention MAF's post-2009 meltdowns, should highlight how some goalies crack under the pressure of the Cup run and some don't. Bob (this year and pretty much through his whole career), Holtby (x2 years) and Rinne (in the finals) all played like crap when the pressure was ratcheted up. Last year and this year, Murray never buckled and this year posted 2 shutouts in the final two games.

Murray's a gem. Yeah, he's got some flaws that can be fixed/improved, but the mental aspect of his game is unique.

Absolutely. It's bizarre to me that people harp on his glove hand like it's some crippling weakness that teams will exploit. Yeah, most of his goals go glove side. Yeah, he definitely could stand to improve his glove work. He's also won two Cups with that weakness. It's clearly not an Achilles' heel, but that won't stop people from missing the forest for the trees.

Murray's mental game isn't just remarkable for a young goalie, but it's remarkable for any athlete in any sport. I would put that particular aspect of Murray's game up against damn near any athlete that I've ever seen and he'd comparable favorably. He's 23. That's absurd. There are goalies with 10+ years on him that still repeatedly choke when it counts. The bottom line is that it's a hell of a lot easier to work on a mechanical flaw than a mental one. Murray may have a few technical issues, but what goalie doesn't? His mentality is far more important.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Do these people even realize he was our first round draft pick from last year? And that he was touted as the best Euro goalie in last years draft:laugh:

A lot of them are probably full time Steelers fans who follow the Pens part time. To them Fleury is their Roethisburger and that how they identify him.

First second round pick, we had no first.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Absolutely. It's bizarre to me that people harp on his glove hand like it's some crippling weakness that teams will exploit. Yeah, most of his goals go glove side. Yeah, he definitely could stand to improve his glove work. He's also won two Cups with that weakness. It's clearly not an Achilles' heel, but that won't stop people from missing the forest for the trees.

Murray's mental game isn't just remarkable for a young goalie, but it's remarkable for any athlete in any sport. I would put that particular aspect of Murray's game up against damn near any athlete that I've ever seen and he'd comparable favorably. He's 23. That's absurd. There are goalies with 10+ years on him that still repeatedly choke when it counts. The bottom line is that it's a hell of a lot easier to work on a mechanical flaw than a mental one. Murray may have a few technical issues, but what goalie doesn't? His mentality is far more important.

A, freaking MEN.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
I know that this isn't a popular opinion here....but with Jarry and Gustavson, we might be looking at another goaltending controversy with Murray in just a few years. We aren't getting anything for Fleury if he leaves via Vegas, and probably not much in a trade to Calgary or Winnipeg or whomever. If someone is offering a top ten pick, or a defensive prospect with top pairing potential, something substantial for Murray....it kind of makes more sense to take that return, keep Fleury for the last two years of his deal, and then have Jarry and Gustavson compete for the replacement job in the 2019-20 season.

Obviously Murray is considerably better, younger, and cheaper than Fleury. I'm not arguing that. But with how the contracts are, and how our pipeline is set up, I think my argument makes sense. But that also assumes an incredibly substantial return for Murray, because you obviously don't let a two time cup winning rookie goaltender go for nothing. I guess really the question is, how substantial an offer would one expect to think that moving Murray and keeping Fleury is the more beneficial deal?

I'm guessing based on the general consensus group-think opinion....there is no trade that would be worth making that move that would be realistic. And that very well could be true, but I think it's worth considering all options.

:laugh: I just shot beer out of my nose.

You win the Internet.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
facebook is full of confused Olds with bad opinions and should never be taken seriously
Ain't that the truth.

Was visiting Pops today and we were talking about the ED. I started talking about how MAF waived for Vegas and Mom's jaw hit the floor.

"Well, that's just terrible!!!"

Took me every bit of 5 minutes to explain why, and she still thinks it's horrible. :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

It's so obvious that it shouldn't ever need to be said.

But you said it well.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
I know that this isn't a popular opinion here....but with Jarry and Gustavson, we might be looking at another goaltending controversy with Murray in just a few years. We aren't getting anything for Fleury if he leaves via Vegas, and probably not much in a trade to Calgary or Winnipeg or whomever. If someone is offering a top ten pick, or a defensive prospect with top pairing potential, something substantial for Murray....it kind of makes more sense to take that return, keep Fleury for the last two years of his deal, and then have Jarry and Gustavson compete for the replacement job in the 2019-20 season.

Obviously Murray is considerably better, younger, and cheaper than Fleury. I'm not arguing that. But with how the contracts are, and how our pipeline is set up, I think my argument makes sense. But that also assumes an incredibly substantial return for Murray, because you obviously don't let a two time cup winning rookie goaltender go for nothing. I guess really the question is, how substantial an offer would one expect to think that moving Murray and keeping Fleury is the more beneficial deal?

I'm guessing based on the general consensus group-think opinion....there is no trade that would be worth making that move that would be realistic. And that very well could be true, but I think it's worth considering all options.

I said the same thing last year but now since theyre gonna ship Flower out what makes me nervous is NEVER SEEING MATT MURRAY MAKE 60+ STARTS IN THE REGULAR SEASON AND PLAYING THRU THE PLAYOFFS. The Murray pom pom folks like to discount this but your putting a lot of trust in a guy he though he played great in the playoffs, he has never been THE GUY in the NHL. I said it first......we will regret not having MAF for the next 2 years.

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
I said the same thing last year but now since theyre gonna ship Flower out what makes me nervous is NEVER SEEING MATT MURRAY MAKE 60+ STARTS IN THE REGULAR SEASON AND PLAYING THRU THE PLAYOFFS. The Murray pom pom folks like to discount this but your putting a lot of trust in a guy he though he played great in the playoffs, he has never been THE GUY in the NHL. I said it first......we will regret not having MAF for the next 2 years.

In his last three seasons he played 40, 41 and 49 regular season games as a professional, in which he destroyed practically every record despite his young age. Next year, he can get to 60 starts easily (if healthy). That's normal goalie development and the road the Pens should follow. That's also why we need to sign a cheap, reliable back up who can play around 20 games a season. One that doesn't have a contract of 5,75M, that is.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Given Jarry's development this season, I wonder if the Pens would consider trading Gustavsson if they were able to acquire a late 1st or hide 2nd rounder. I'm not certain if such a deal would be there (TSN and some other mock drafts have OTT taking the top rated G at #28, and I have no idea how these 2 G's compare). It would also depend on who else may be on the board we could pick, but it's an interesting possibility.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Given Jarry's development this season, I wonder if the Pens would consider trading Gustavsson if they were able to acquire a late 1st or hide 2nd rounder. I'm not certain if such a deal would be there (TSN and some other mock drafts have OTT taking the top rated G at #28, and I have no idea how these 2 G's compare). It would also depend on who else may be on the board we could pick, but it's an interesting possibility.

Don't you want to see more than 1 game of Jarry at the NHL level before trading away our goaltending depth? Seems wildly premature to me.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Don't you want to see more than 1 game of Jarry at the NHL level before trading away our goaltending depth? Seems wildly premature to me.

This has nothing to do with his 1 game at the NHL level. This has to do with the fact that Jarry has established himself in the top 3 or 4 best goalie prospects outside the NHL.

That obviously doesn't mean that the Pens should trade him for the sake of it. If you read my post more clearly you can see that I said it would depend who is left on the draft board that they may like. If there's someone who they believe could be a solid #3/4 Dman, I think everyone on here would agree that a Dman is more important to us than a 3rd goalie under the age of 23.

I think all of us were surprised that we drafted Gustavsson with our 1st pick last year given our other organizational needs. If he was really the BPA then, so be it. But if there was a deal to be made for a Dman pick/prospect who would better fit our needs, nobody would be against that.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
No reason to do anything with goalies until we have to. Jarry should continue handling the load in WBS and taking call ups when we need him. More than enough net to go around considering Murray hasn't proven the ability to stay healthy or play a full workload in a season.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
This has nothing to do with his 1 game at the NHL level. This has to do with the fact that Jarry has established himself in the top 3 or 4 best goalie prospects outside the NHL.

That obviously doesn't mean that the Pens should trade him for the sake of it. If you read my post more clearly you can see that I said it would depend who is left on the draft board that they may like. If there's someone who they believe could be a solid #3/4 Dman, I think everyone on here would agree that a Dman is more important to us than a 3rd goalie under the age of 23.

I think all of us were surprised that we drafted Gustavsson with our 1st pick last year given our other organizational needs. If he was really the BPA then, so be it. But if there was a deal to be made for a Dman pick/prospect who would better fit our needs, nobody would be against that.

I read your post clearly, how could I not? It was three sentences long. Jarry's prospect status really doesn't mean a lot because he's a goalie. The failure rate is even higher than normal at that position. Matt Murray hasn't exactly proven his durability yet and Jarry hasn't proven anything at all. Gustavsson may have seemed like a luxury when he was drafted, but that doesn't make him expendable IMO. He most likely has more value to us than anything we'd be able to trade him for right now. Goalies, especially ones who haven't even come over to NA yet, don't tend to have a lot of trade value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad