Confirmed with Link: Pens Sign Goalie Filip Gustavsson to a Three-Year Entry-Level Contract

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Kicks in in 2018-19 since he's already under contract in Sweden.

Nice to get it nailed down, at least.

Which means no endless fevered speculation about whether this means Jarry is gonna back up Murray. Boooooo.

Anyway, cool.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This kid is interesting because he was highly regarded in the draft and I think the Pens were surprised he was still there when they picked.

Goalies aren't usually good assets though so it begs the question of what type of value he'll have if he keeps developing. I guess there's always uncertainty with the goalie position so he's still nice to have in the pipe though.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
If you want a laugh, read the Facebook comments on this announcement. They're almost all about Fleury.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This kid is interesting because he was highly regarded in the draft and I think the Pens were surprised he was still there when they picked.

Goalies aren't usually good assets though so it begs the question of what type of value he'll have if he keeps developing. I guess there's always uncertainty with the goalie position so he's still nice to have in the pipe though.

They may not bring much trade value but when you see a franchise like Calgary going through the torments of the damned trying to find a goaltender that doesn't suck when starting, I'm down with keeping a good pipeline.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Cool. Kid has potential they say.

Out of morbid curiosity, had to check out the FB posts. The unhealthy obsession that city has with MAF....

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Oh the ignorance of Pens facebook fans.

*all facebook sports fans.

That place is a magnet of the dregs of the worst of any fandom...and when you have a large fandom the volume of idiots can be overwhelming.

The sheer lack of understanding about how anything works is ****ing hilarious. The Pens were able to make the situation work this past year, so that means it must be possible to make it work for all future years, to hell with the salary cap, expansion draft, and what Fleury himself wants!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kicks in in 2018-19 since he's already under contract in Sweden.

Nice to get it nailed down, at least.

Makes more sense now. When I first saw this I was thinking - we'll maybe they expect him over here sooner rather than what I thought was going to be later.

This should work out well for us. By the time he's over here and we start to understand what we have in him, we should know darn well what we also have in Jarry.

I like our goalie depth :)

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I know that this isn't a popular opinion here....but with Jarry and Gustavson, we might be looking at another goaltending controversy with Murray in just a few years. We aren't getting anything for Fleury if he leaves via Vegas, and probably not much in a trade to Calgary or Winnipeg or whomever. If someone is offering a top ten pick, or a defensive prospect with top pairing potential, something substantial for Murray....it kind of makes more sense to take that return, keep Fleury for the last two years of his deal, and then have Jarry and Gustavson compete for the replacement job in the 2019-20 season.

Obviously Murray is considerably better, younger, and cheaper than Fleury. I'm not arguing that. But with how the contracts are, and how our pipeline is set up, I think my argument makes sense. But that also assumes an incredibly substantial return for Murray, because you obviously don't let a two time cup winning rookie goaltender go for nothing. I guess really the question is, how substantial an offer would one expect to think that moving Murray and keeping Fleury is the more beneficial deal?

I'm guessing based on the general consensus group-think opinion....there is no trade that would be worth making that move that would be realistic. And that very well could be true, but I think it's worth considering all options.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Honestly I don't even want to think about another goaltending controversy until one arrives. Projecting goalies is just too difficult to assume everything will continue to work out so well.

Tunez33

Mar 29, 2013
I know that this isn't a popular opinion here....but with Jarry and Gustavson, we might be looking at another goaltending controversy with Murray in just a few years. We aren't getting anything for Fleury if he leaves via Vegas, and probably not much in a trade to Calgary or Winnipeg or whomever. If someone is offering a top ten pick, or a defensive prospect with top pairing potential, something substantial for Murray....it kind of makes more sense to take that return, keep Fleury for the last two years of his deal, and then have Jarry and Gustavson compete for the replacement job in the 2019-20 season.

Obviously Murray is considerably better, younger, and cheaper than Fleury. I'm not arguing that. But with how the contracts are, and how our pipeline is set up, I think my argument makes sense. But that also assumes an incredibly substantial return for Murray, because you obviously don't let a two time cup winning rookie goaltender go for nothing. I guess really the question is, how substantial an offer would one expect to think that moving Murray and keeping Fleury is the more beneficial deal?

I'm guessing based on the general consensus group-think opinion....there is no trade that would be worth making that move that would be realistic. And that very well could be true, but I think it's worth considering all options.

NO

I'd rather get nothing for fleury and worry about them potentially challenging Murray who just won his second cup. Literally a terrible idea

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
In less than two years of being a non even full time starter, Murray has already had a concussion, broken hand, torn hamstring, and a pulled groin. I know he's won two cups, and early in his career. But I think people tend to ignore his injury history, and frankly, I think it will be a big issue when we have to throw Jarry in for an extended period if he's not ready yet this year.

Tunez33

Mar 29, 2013
In less than two years of being a non even full time starter, Murray has already had a concussion, broken hand, torn hamstring, and a pulled groin. I know he's won two cups, and early in his career. But I think people tend to ignore his injury history, and frankly, I think it will be a big issue when we have to throw Jarry in for an extended period if he's not ready yet this year.

We can easily find a veteran back up, we can not find another Murray.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

It's not groupthink, it's sanethink not to trade the only rookie in NHL history to win 2 Cups in his first 2 attempts, leading the entire league in GAA, SV% and shutouts in the latest. Counting on two rookies with one NHL game between them to compete for a starter's role in a year is no less loony.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

In that same time frame, he has won 2 Cups. He's 23, he's a top 5 goalie and there's quite a bit more room for growth. Your counter is that he had a few injuries to different parts of his body. Wow.

Simply put, there is no argument you can make for trading him that isn't ridiculous. You can't say "I know that he's won two cups" as if that's something you can casually wave away. It's the most important data point by orders of magnitude.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00