Post-Game Talk: Pens season ends 0-4 to the Isles in literally 1 single week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
+ Placed a bet on Pens loss and a Tampa loss
- ... but it was a really small bet. :)

+ Fast-forwarded most of the game. Once I saw how we repeated the exact same error from games 2 and 3 and conceded right after scoring, I knew the writing was on the wall. Just incredible stupidity - you take a lead against a team with great D and hot goalie, you have the crowd into the game, your D is suspect - you have to play more cautiously for 5-10 minutes, make the Isles sweat a bit, gain some momentum. Maybe it wouldn't have worked but it wouldn't have been such a blatantly self-inflicting wound, deflating the team.

Reactions: Trade and Lustaf

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Why then some people get so up in arms every time a few unpleasant words of criticism of our darling superstars are voiced here?

Why care so much about someone's opinion if none of our opinions here matter anyway?
Well, some opinions matter more than others. Yours would be pretty far down the list, I imagine.

Anita L

Jan 29, 2019
Can't blame the defense goalie or coaching the offense was a complete no show 3 goals in 13 periods of hockey is an embassment

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
+ Placed a bet on Pens loss and a Tampa loss
- ... but it was a really small bet. :)

+ Fast-forwarded most of the game. Once I saw how we repeated the exact same error from games 2 and 3 and conceded right after scoring, I knew the writing was on the wall. Just incredible stupidity - you take a lead against a team with great D and hot goalie, you have the crowd into the game, your D is suspect - you have to play more cautiously for 5-10 minutes, make the Isles sweat a bit, gain some momentum. Maybe it wouldn't have worked but it wouldn't have been such a blatantly self-inflicting wound, deflating the team.

Imagine if you had bet the house.... you would now have 2 houses. Step up your game!

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Last year they came from back to back titles, losing their senior goalie to Vegas.
This year they didn't have much grit in their 4 playoff games.
So hopefully some new signings and go at it again.

Last year we were also an unfocused team. Winning on talent and lucking our way in the playoffs. Heck we almost beat Washington on loosy goosy play.

What concerns me is this year we were worse. Less focused, and relying more on talent to succeed. I'm not liking the trend.

Last spring after 2nd round knockout I wrote here that that was the last chance of this core for a Cup because of the age and decline.

Everybody started saying “Nah, they are just gassed after two long postseasons, and Letang never had a proper preseason. They will get decent rest in the normal offseason, and come back kicking and swinging next year”.

Gassed, you said. Ok.

Keep calling me “troll” and deleting my angry posts, boys. Of course you are always right and I’m always wrong.

Here is the Detroit cup winning lineup:
2007-08 Detroit Red Wings Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Their core: Datsyuk - age 29, Zetterberg - age 27, Holmstrom - age 35, Lidstrom - age 37, Rafalski - age 34, Osgood - age 35

Next year, cup finalists, and add a year to their age. Their D and goalie were significantly older than ours today, and their F are slightly younger. The big difference was they played a solid system. They were consistent game-in, game-out. Our age decline is less of an issue than our lack of structure, consistency, and a better identity.

Maybe it's time for Malkin and Crosby to transition into different roles. That's a management, and coaching decision.

I really wonder how some folks actually function in real life dealing with real problems.

lol...I think folks are frustrated, and we have been a bit spoiled over the last decade.

Getting kicked out in 4 straight almost makes like it would have been better to tank and draft high! But alas, can't function in retrospect.

The problem with the PP is once they get a PP, they stop skating and start acting nonchalant (if they hadn't already played that way before the PP). They lose all desperation. Almost every single time. They can still score because they do have talent but it's frustrating to watch. If I am busy and have PVR'd the game, I can skip ahead 30 seconds after the pk clears the puck and almost every single time the Pens are just re-entering the offensive zone. It takes them 30 seconds just to skate back up the ice.

That nonchalant play has led to not fighting for 50-50 pucks and has led to many many short handed chances against. It's almost entirely an attitude problem.

Haven't we pretty much had the same PP since Gonchar was manning the point? Remember the day we used to beg for a talented right handed shooter to manage the left side?

We need someone like TJ Oshie who likes to fade to that soft spot in the middle. Remember Kevin Stevens? Nobody ever gives us that look since Hornqvist regressed. This way we don't need to play so high and can create down low.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Gudbranson Wilson Shultz had as many goals as Crosby Guentzel Malkin Kessel or the rest of the team combined PATHETIC!!!

Excuse me Anita, I'm very happy to welcome you here to the board.

Just an FYI..... Capitalizing random words for perceived emphasis is my SCHTICK!

Thank you

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
The sense of entitlement some Pens have is hilarious. I also enjoy the comments that the Pens "better do this and better do that."

Or what? We're fans of a sports team, not board members of a corporation. Don't like the team's decisions? Stop attending, watching, buying stuff. But enough of the saber rattling

Fenrir009

May 2, 2018
The D absolutely needs an overhaul over the summer. It looks like we're still in that speed mindset but the pieces that made that fast transitional game of ours in 2016 and 17 are gone. I don't like the stubbornness of the coaching staff and losing Tocchet on the bench has had a bigger impact than many realize I think.

Bnat66

May 10, 2017
New Jersey
The D absolutely needs an overhaul over the summer. It looks like we're still in that speed mindset but the pieces that made that fast transitional game of ours in 2016 and 17 are gone. I don't like the stubbornness of the coaching staff and losing Tocchet on the bench has had a bigger impact than many realize I think.
And thats what happens when you win back to back cups, other teams want the pieces and we are left with a shell of those teams.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Can't blame the defense goalie or coaching the offense was a complete no show 3 goals in 13 periods of hockey is an embassment

Offense was a no show in part because D couldn’t consistently move the puck out of its own end. Big problem all season. But yeah forwards didn’t come through when they needed to.

Oh well. Another season over. Pens still tied with Oilers for most cups for non-original six team (and more than one original six team) so we’re blessed in a way.

The team is beyond a few tweaks. I suspect there won’t be a house cleaning and we’ll see a multi-season slide instead of a shorter term tank, closer to the Hawks than the Kings of recent note.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Maybe, just maybe if Crosby and Co faced moren harsh criticism after last year's loss or during this season, instead of blind fanboyism of the religious sect of those who start screaming "troll!!!" after every critical post - they would've played with a bit more urgency and accountability this spring?

Yes! Because message boards matter, and contribute to how effective NHL players are!

LMAO dude, I think you need to reevaluate some things in your life.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Here's what I do: Tell Kessel if he doesn't waive his LMC he's going to spend next year glued to the 4th line. Tell whatever teams that are interested in him that they have to take Johnson too, no salary retained. And the return is a 1st and a mid-level prospect.

Nothing against Maatta but he doesn't fit this team. Trade him for a pick.

50/50 on moving Hornqvist. If we can get a 1st, move him.

Go full-on rebuild. Surround our aging core with talent. Regroup and try to contend in a year or two.
we just saw what a team (with less talent) when coached well (and all the players buy in) can do. so it might not take that long to contend. but it will take a willingness to change, something we haven't seen in a long time.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Interesting thing I saw today. JJ took 3 shifts in the last period.

When push comes to shove our GM gave a defenseman 5 years that can’t even play the last period of the season.

That should say all we need to know about where JR should be.
it also says that the coach dose know what the problems are with this team and did nothing till the last 20 min. of a doomed season.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Yes! Because message boards matter, and contribute to how effective NHL players are!

LMAO dude, I think you need to reevaluate some things in your life.

Laugh all you want, but message boards like this do indeed represent ideas and sentiments which float around in public opinion. And public opinion constitutes the level of pressure players and coaches feel. Just ask those who play in Toronto or Montreal.

In Pittsburgh the general public sentiment has been "Relax guys, you're great no matter how badly you F*** up, we're gonna worship you anyway."

On second thought, though, I think this spineless part of then fanbase deserves the attitude and results that the team has shown in the last 2 seasons.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Laugh all you want, but message boards like this do indeed represent ideas and sentiments which float around in public opinion.

If you truly believe this, I honestly feel sorry for you.

Go outside. Get some sunshine. Do something that's gonna make you relax.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
I call shenanigans. I bet you claimed the Pens were done in 2013. I bet you claimed it in 2014. I bet you claimed it in 2015. I damn sure GUARANTEE you claimed Sid was done in December of 2015.

Some people live in negativity, and it's not just sports. It's not shocking. They eat up twitter. They eat up the news. And then when it doesn't go the way they claim, they run and hide because it's easy to do.

It's very easy to be negative when the cards are stacked against. It's a lot more effort to find some positives when it's a dark time. But don't act like you wouldn't be negative regardless. :biglaugh:

You're presenting it as if negativity was some sort of agenda or philosophy in life. In my case, It's just spontaneous raw emotion. I watch hockey games expecting to enjoy the proccess and the result. When people who are paid to deliver those fail to do their job, despite it's still whithin their power to do it, - I get angry and disappointed. And I need to vent.

When I see that failure becomes the norm and not an aberration (the aforementioned 2010-2015 time stretch), I naturally brace myself emotionally to protect myself, and begin to expect the worst to lower the emotional impact.

And yes I did think this generation of Pens was done in 2015. But not because of the age, rather because I saw them stuck in the circle of failure, mental softness and lack of accountability on all levels.

And the funny thing is - it wasn't Crosby, Malkin or Letang who brought this winning mentality and mental strength back, to break the vicious circle of underperformance. They only rode the coattales of this process. It was Sullivan, Bonino, Murray, Rust, Daley, Shultz, Hainsey, Kessel, Sheary, Hornquist, Cullen, Haguelin who changed this room and the vibe in it.

And then we lost Bones, Daley, Hainsey, Hags.
Murr, Rust, Shultz, Phil, Sheary, Horny, Cullen lost their hunger and motivation.
And Sully lost the room, now full of entitled and unmotivated players.

So here we are now.

Reactions: domaug
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad