Post-Game Talk: Pens season ends 0-4 to the Isles in literally 1 single week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Listen the whole defense sucked, but Letang made critical, boneheaded errors, at important points of the game for 2 years in a row that directly resulted in losses or losses of momentum.

Other #1 dmen do that too, but those are errors that this team couldn't afford in this series. At the very least, let's recognize it and demand more from him. Sounds like Sully does and had veiled criticism of Letang twice. So what do you do about it when the player doesn't stop, but is critically vital to your team's success, particularly with how your D is built?

I don't have a great answer and JR deserves a ton of blame for building a garbage defense, but the Letang situation isn't an easy one to solve.

With our prospect pool and our D? You deal with it.

Letang was our MVP behind Sid this year

Reactions: cygnus47 and Turin

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I really do think that with some better players around him to take the pressure off him being literally the only guy who can skate the puck along with more discipline and more cohesion in their system... Letang can be just fine. Again, I don't think the Crosby/Malkin/Letang core is the problem at all with this team. It's the rot around them. These guys can't push that huge of boulders up the mountain, anymore. They really couldn't either in their prime which is a big reason Shero failed.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
That tells a pretty compelling story. Some will say he changed his game after coming back from injury. Even if that's true (I don't buy it), it doesn't really matter since he's going to keep getting injured. I'm hesitant to trade him because it's a really hard trade to make and end up better, but I'm also not confident he can/will change his game.

And that's another good point with Letang, you have to factor in that he's going to be suffering from one or more injuries a lot of the time. And when he plays hurt, he seems to be more aggressive and impatient, not less.

If you keep him and keep playing him so much, you're effectively betting the success of the whole team on his health. He plays just so much in every situation, that when he's off, our PP, PK and the 5v5 play of our top forwards gets killed.

Even if they trade Phil, JJ, and Maatta, those are just moves around the margins. Geno is the 2nd biggest issue, but you can make him successful by supporting him well with linemates and the D behind him.

I'd do everything I can to move out Letang, and then have a hard talk with Phil and make sure he's cool with playing with Bjugstad. If he's not, then you probably have to deal him. If he is, then I'd just send out Maatta, JJ and ZAR and promote Pets, and sign Hags for L4.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
This defence was playing fine without Letang less than two months ago. Sure, it required the forwards to work their tails off but they need to do that in the playoffs anyway. Maybe the team just relaxes too much when Letang is around and they really shouldn't because of his penchant for brain farts in inopportune moments. Maybe he was rushed after his latest injury. Maybe our coach is an idiot and thinks playing more cautiously isn't glamorous enough. Lots of things to think about. Personally, I refuse to believe that our D is that bad on paper. Columbus shut down Tampa with the likes of Harrington and Clendening playing. Dumo didn't look right after his return from injury either, Schultz missed half a season, with better coaching and less injuries these players can be good enough, IMO. Get rid of one of Maatta/JJ somehow, take a gamble on some reclamation project PMD and hope you get lucky. Can't really do mcuh more with out cap situation and lack of prospects to trade.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Not really. He has trade protection, injury history and once again as I said if you view him as a player you can’t win with anymore why is someone paying that price.

Opinions and evaluations vary, that's a big part of why trades happen. I can buy the trade protection and injury stuff, though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not really. He has trade protection, injury history and once again as I said if you view him as a player you can’t win with anymore why is someone paying that price.

Just because the Pens feel they can't win with him (hypothetically) doesn't mean a team desperate for a 1D would think the same way. A team like Edmonton would probably sell the farm to land Letang to play with McDavid. Problem with them is, apart from Klefbom, who is injured as much as Letang, I'm not sure I see a replacement we'd want.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Just because the Pens feel they can't win with him (hypothetically) doesn't mean a team desperate for a 1D would think the same way. A team like Edmonton would probably sell the farm to land Letang to play with McDavid. Problem with them is, apart from Klefbom, who is injured as much as Letang, I'm not sure I see a replacement we'd want.

I'll take pick 8 and RNH if it's offered.

Then trade Phil + 8 to replace Letang.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I know a few people alluded to this but the Islanders played outstanding. Swarmed in the neutral zone like maniacs and turned the puck over and then scored on the rush. Lehner was sharp as hell. Jordan Eberle played the best hockey of his career. Now the Penguins effort was lacking but they could not manage the Islander system. I don't think anyone has really figured it out yet. I think you have to play less aggressive and not force the puck through the neutral zone, just get it deep. See if the New York could be goaded into mistakes and basically play their game right back at them. Might make for a bit of a standoff but better than playing right into their hands.

Islanders over Caps (or Hurricanes) and to the Cup Final to maybe win it all. Bad matchup for Pittsburgh. Probably, in retrospect, been better off against almost anyone else.

My Best-Carey

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Dealing with it is probably the best route to go, but either way, they absolutely need to upgrade the D so they don't NEED to rely on him for 25+ minutes even if he's struggling.

If I’m the GM, I’m making moves to get a top four of Dumo - Letang Pettersson - X with a bottom pairing of young cost controlled guys and then dropping 8-9 mil on a RD since next years UFA crop is incredible.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Edmonton has no farm to sell.

You’re probably looking at 8 overall and if lucky Nurse. Even that is pushing it.

And honestly, Edmonton is probably one of his NTCs and can’t afford Letang for futures so we likely get stuck with Russell or Lucic.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Edmonton has no farm to sell.

You’re probably looking at 8 overall and if lucky Nurse. Even that is pushing it.

And honestly, Edmonton is probably one of his NTCs and can’t afford Letang for futures so we likely get stuck with Russell or Lucic.

Any deal with Letang and Lucic involved back to the Pens should get JR admitted to a mental ward.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
What I would find interesting is if you name someone you want on their way out, please name teams that make sense where they would go and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad