DOC-Miller-Rust
Poehling-Carter-Hallander
Puustinen

Petterson-Letang
POJ-Petry
Smith-Rutta
Freidman-Rudwedel

TJ/CDS

With realistic raises, $1.7mil in cap space so we can bring in someone else if needed.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Crosby and Malkin will be long retired and Penguins fans will still be complaining about not keeping Tanev and McCann in the expansion draft.

I do find it legitimately hilarious of the hand wringing about losing those two, while the Penguins didn't accomplish jack shit with them in their bottom-6 when they were here.
I feel like it’s somewhat fair until the Pens actually get as good replacement. Just like it was pretty much fair to complain about not re-signing Bonino forever because they never replaced him until Carter played well for a few months.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I feel like it’s somewhat fair until the Pens actually get as good replacement. Just like it was pretty much fair to complain about not re-signing Bonino forever because they never replaced him until Carter played well for a few months.

Yeah but I think the main thing is like... would McCann and Tanev be used like that here?

People are just looking at the raw totals and moving them in their heads to this team.

I do think it's fair to say that this team has been doing a poor job assessing players and professionally scouting players for years, now. Considering the amount that have gone on to do well elsewhere combined with some of the poor fits we've seen. But (and I know everyone is sick of hearing it) of course there is a healthy dose of coaching involved there, too.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Idk I feel like they've kinda already replaced what those guys provide in the playoffs. Because they basically didn't provide anything.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yeah but I think the main thing is like... would McCann and Tanev be used like that here?

People are just looking at the raw totals and moving them in their heads to this team.

I do think it's fair to say that this team has been doing a poor job assessing players and professionally scouting players for years, now. Considering the amount that have gone on to do well elsewhere combined with some of the poor fits we've seen. But (and I know everyone is sick of hearing it) of course there is a healthy dose of coaching involved there, too.
Would they? Probably not. But even misused they would still be better than what the Pens had this year.

I’ve also been of the opinion that Malkin should have been moved to wing a couple years ago already.

Idk I feel like they've kinda already replaced what those guys provide in the playoffs. Because they basically didn't provide anything.
Sure but in what sample size? 2020 was a fake year where nobody provided anything in 5 games and in 2021 they should have won handedly if not for the worst goalie performance ever.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Would they? Probably not. But even misused they would still be better than what the Pens had this year.

I’ve also been of the opinion that Malkin should have been moved to wing a couple years ago already.

Ah. Yeah don't agree though I'm fine with it in next couple years as something he's eased into.

Malkin operates best through the middle of the ice. Results at wing have always been poor.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Sure but in what sample size? 2020 was a fake year where nobody provided anything in 5 games and in 2021 they should have won handedly if not for the worst goalie performance ever.

Yeah let's move the player on an 80+ pt pace as a 36 year old to wing..

McCann was here for three playoff runs and had 0 goals.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Ah. Yeah don't agree though I'm fine with it in next couple years as something he's eased into.

Malkin operates best through the middle of the ice. Results at wing have always been poor.
Hockey is fluid enough that he can still do that in, but the defensive responsibilities can be take away as well. But regardless it wouldn’t have happened.

My main problem isn’t just McCann, it’s that out of all the depth in the last few years it’s all good ones with the highest ceilings that have been let go.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yeah let's move the player on an 80+ pt pace as a 36 year old to wing..

McCann was here for three playoff runs and had 0 goals.
Moving Malkin to wing wouldn’t harm his offense at all. You think Kucherov would score more points as a center?

Malkin is not a wing. It's been tried and does not work and it's not like he's actively harming the team. Even at this age he still works best when he winds up and attacks through the middle.
It was tried with Jordan Staal having a bad season as a 19 year old, and it’s been tried with Sidney Crosby and they always dominated. That’s literally it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Malkin is not a wing. It's been tried and does not work and it's not like he's actively harming the team. Even at this age he still works best when he winds up and attacks through the middle.

Yeah I guess I just don't get the overwhelming want for it. It's no offense but it feels like trying to be clever for the sake of being clever. Plus again we've seen it before and it's always largely a mess. Plus who is gonna do it? A player worse than him even at 36? Meh.

I get that he's not exactly what I'd call airtight defensively unless it's the playoffs. But I agree... is it really a liability? One of our favorite posters loves to grouse about narratives. I think that's one of them though of course not in the way THEY'D approve of.

Also Malkin at 50+ percent on draws this year. Odd that that's not talked about like ever.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
It was tried with Jordan Staal having a bad season as a 19 year old, and it’s been tried with Sidney Crosby and they always dominated. That’s literally it.

It strikes me as change for the sake of change. I'll play devil's advocate. Moving him to wing does...what for the team? If you question his defense...okay but he's still comfortably over 50% GF so I'm not sure it's that big of a concern.

Yeah I guess I just don't get the overwhelming want for it. It's no offense but it feels like trying to be clever for the sake of being clever. Plus again we've seen it before and it's always largely a mess. Plus who is gonna do it? A player worse than him even at 36? Meh.

I get that he's not exactly what I'd call airtight defensively unless it's the playoffs. But I agree... is it really a liability? One of our favorite posters loves to grouse about narratives. I think that's one of them though of course not in the way THEY'D approve of.

Also Malkin at 50+ percent on draws this year. Odd that that's not talked about like ever.

Exactly my point. "These changes aren't permanent but change is" to quote the mighty Neil Peart, which I know you'll appreciate.

Also, we aren't really talking enough about his improvement in the faceoff circle. Especially on his backhand side. It's been very solid and kind of shows the difference, again, in the way the two are talked about. When Sid showed this kind of improvement in the dot 300 word articles were written.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also, we aren't really talking enough about his improvement in the faceoff circle. Especially on his backhand side. It's been very solid and kind of shows the difference, again, in the way the two are talked about. When Sid showed this kind of improvement in the dot 300 word articles were written.

A 7 percent improvement in one season in the circle barely meriting a cricket fart tells me nobody actually cares about faceoffs as much as they pretend to and just use it as a wedge issue re: players they like/don't like.

As I always suspected.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I'd be much more interested in faceoffs as a tracking metric if we started to treat it like we treat zone starts. It's an overrated stat but carries a bit more weight if you're looking at a DZ start or a PK start. I'd like to see FO% split out to ES% (who cares) and Special Team % (eh, we care a bit more)

Like, we keep learning on Carter's FO% as a defense mechanism but how substantive does it prove to be? If he wins a PK faceoff and we get a clear that's all well and good but how often do we see 77 win a FO and then just turn it over? WTF good is the FO win then?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'd be much more interested in faceoffs as a tracking metric if we started to treat it like we treat zone starts. It's an overrated stat but carries a bit more weight if you're looking at a DZ start or a PK start. I'd like to see FO% split out to ES% (who cares) and Special Team % (eh, we care a bit more)

Maybe similar to high danger chances... high uh... "pressure" faceoffs?

Faceoffs aren't really that important like 90% of the game but that final 10% is a doozy it seems.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Malkin is a natural center. Who should be centering him?
Crosby.

I think once (and this is IF) Malkin regresses, putting him with Sid and finding a 2C would be the logical step.

Jake-Sid-Malkin
Rakell-Miller-Rust

Something like that.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

That's the thing. People don't grasp that Production does not equal talent

Sam Lafferty I think has like 20 goals. SHould we bring him back too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad