Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
DK spoke to him and "On the idea of him (Guentzel) coming back after this season: "I don't know. We'll see how this year goes. I really like it in Carolina."

Sounds like he's as good as gone already. I sincerely doubt he's coming back unless Carolina decides not to sign him and/or can't afford him. Then maybe he'd come to the Pens as a plan b. Maybe.
He said what he was supposed to say. It would be treacherous for him to say otherwise.

In full honesty, if Jake wants the best chance to win over his contract term, Pens are likely not his best choice. So when he originally said he wanted to stay, who knows if he really meant it. Tavares kept saying he wanted to stay with the Islanders.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The coach needs to do himself a favor and look at Genos minutes in our 4 wins this month.

The season is over anyway, so play that 4th line of kids a bunch, and ease 71’s minutes to around 15 a game. I think we’ll get a more productive Geno, and get a better product on the ice overall.
He has…he played 14 minutes last game and another game last week as well

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

But don’t trust putting the young guys out there with the game on the line…lol at Puusty getting benched with a one goal lead when the coach trots out his favorite L4 with the Pens just having scored and nursing a lead…

Can't imagine Harkins even registers on that chart.

The slightly good news is that the center free agency is dismal again this year. You might be able to send Acciari out for a song. I might even be willing to retain a smidgen to help given we have Poulin and Pono that could take center.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Sullivan next number of games are an good indication of whether he will play the younger guys or not. In some cases, injuries have taken away his preferences. In the end, Dubas has to by roster management preclude Sully his predication for defaulting to players who just are not good enough and have no upside. Dubas play the younger players, so I have a better idea of what is needed here. In the end, Dubas will have to fire Sullivan if he just does what he wants as to the PT and who gets it. But I do think Sullivan is back for cash reasons and see if he can adapt to the reality of balance of grit and youth. I don't think he will and he will be gone after next year when the purge begins in earnest.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Can't imagine Harkins even registers on that chart.

The slightly good news is that the center free agency is dismal again this year. You might be able to send Acciari out for a song. I might even be willing to retain a smidgen to help given we have Poulin and Pono that could take center.
I’d send Eller out too…I like him but he’s going to be 35…ideally he’s a 4C but he’s overpaid for that on this squad…

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sullivan next number of games are a good indication of whether he will play the younger guys or not. In some cases, injuries have taken away his preferences. In the end, Dubas has to by roster management preclude Sully his predication for defaulting to players who just are not good enough and have no upside. Dubas play the younger players, so I have a better idea of what is needed here. In the end, Dubas will have to fire Sullivan if he just does what he wants as to the PT and who gets it. But I do think Sullivan is back for cash reasons and see if he can adapt to the reality of balance of grit and youth. I don't think he will and he will be gone after next year when the purge begins in earnest.
Hopefully Sullivan inserts Carter in the lineup for the remaining 11 games if that leads to his firing…there are a number of coach openings this off-season so I wouldn’t worry about the money he’s owed as he’ll get a job…Dubas’ comments that Sullivan would be great for the rebuild working with young players has to be a joke, right? Lol

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
Hopefully Sullivan inserts Carter in the lineup for the remaining 11 games if that leads to his firing…there are a number of coach openings this off-season so I wouldn’t worry about the money he’s owed as he’ll get a job…Dubas’ comments that Sullivan would be great for the rebuild working with young players has to be a joke, right? Lol

I have no doubt that Carter is going back into the line up. He's a veteran who is likely to retire. Sully is going to give him every chance to play until the end of the season.

Reactions: Andy99

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

But don’t trust putting the young guys out there with the game on the line…lol at Puusty getting benched with a one goal lead when the coach trots out his favorite L4 with the Pens just having scored and nursing a lead…

I'll also never understand the banishing of Hinostroza so early and quickly. I mean he was no star but he was a better forechecker than those guys.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I’d send Eller out too…I like him but he’s going to be 35…ideally he’s a 4C but he’s overpaid for that on this squad…
I'm more lenient on Eller. I'm much more okay Eller making $2.45mil next year (and then UFA) as opposed to Acciari making $2mil for the next 2 years after this. Eller has been a surprising player for me. He was much better than I thought he would be. He's never been an offensive powerhouse, but he's certainly held his own for a bottom 6 center. If you want a dedicated defensive line, Eller as the center is ideal. If you can toss Acciari and make him 4C and surround him with two cheap options like Poulin/Gruden and Puljujarvi, I'd be just fine with him making $2mil to do that especially if they offset with Pono at 3C and turn the 3rd line into a scoring line.
I'll also never understand the banishing of Hinostroza so early and quickly. I mean he was no star but he was a better forechecker than those guys.
And Zohorna and even Nylander especially with how poor Carter, Harkins, Nieto, and even Bemstrom were. The problem there goes beyond this year as well. No doubt guys like Big Z and Hinostroza signed here looking to make the big club. Or at the very least, get call ups here and there. Their one chance and then poof (it may have been two but still - very limited, early season chances) likely isn't sitting well with them. It's not like WBS is a AHL top team either. It makes me HIGHLY doubt either will resign here and I think it hurts future options for similar players. A UFA next year on the same level might look at this and say "hey, Dubas and Sullivan aren't guys that bring up guys from the AHL much...they'd rather bumblef*** around with waivers and guys like Phillips and Harkins. f*** that, I'm not signing there". And honestly, they'd be right to do it if their goal was to use good play in the AHL as a means to get back to the NHL.

This is another area where I think Dubas did a poor job. Sitting on your hands for the entire season only to trade Jake is hardly the work of a top GM. Not saying he should have gone full Rutherford but him and Sully let this mess fester the entire season. Being an inconsistent dumpster fire was the only thing they were consistent about the entire season. They should have been cycling through WBS guys on the regular and trying different combos to see if something fit. Instead...we got what we got.

It wouldn't surprise me if Carter plays all remaining games. Not because he deserves to because of play but rather because it's likely his last 11 games in his career.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lots of hemming and hawing and over the top praise of Sullivan, but I thought this was interesting:

“I think we’ll get through the season and evaluate all of that. You’re talking about super competitive people, Sully and myself. If we sit here on April 17 and we haven’t advantage of the opportunity that lies ahead of us over the window of the next 21 days or three weeks, the [core] players and Sully are too intelligent to think that we can do the same thing again next year in the exact same way and get a different result.”

I’m going to hold out for a bit of hope based on this comment that substantial changes will be made…he seemed again to want to wait to the end of season before discussing things, as if they’re going to win their next 10 games in a row

Dubas gonna trade Evgeni Malkin for some Soo Greyhound center.

Who cares about Hinostroza?

We are getting quotes like this when we specifically chose Harkins over Puustinen and Poulin to start the season.

Guarantee we are in a playoff spot if they just had Puustinen and Poulin up to start the season in 3rd and 4th line roles over Harkins and Nieto.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
This is another area where I think Dubas did a poor job. Sitting on your hands for the entire season only to trade Jake is hardly the work of a top GM. Not saying he should have gone full Rutherford but him and Sully let this mess fester the entire season. Being an inconsistent dumpster fire was the only thing they were consistent about the entire season. They should have been cycling through WBS guys on the regular and trying different combos to see if something fit. Instead...we got what we got.

It wouldn't surprise me if Carter plays all remaining games. Not because he deserves to because of play but rather because it's likely his last 11 games in his career.
Dubas' job was to get Sully players. Sully's job was to choose who he wanted to use. I give credit for Dubas trying to pick up guys left and right off the waiver wire, and trying to restock the WBS pool (ie. Hinestroza, etc). If Pulju pans out, then that's a major win right there!

I would blame Dubas on not moving out someone like Smith in December, or at least make some sort of real move.

I 100% blame Sully for not cycling through the youth, and for being insistent on playing Carter everywhere in every situation. I 100% blame Sully for having an overly short leash on Puus and other young players. Having them benched for making a mistake.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
DK spoke to him and "On the idea of him (Guentzel) coming back after this season: "I don't know. We'll see how this year goes. I really like it in Carolina."

Sounds like he's as good as gone already. I sincerely doubt he's coming back unless Carolina decides not to sign him and/or can't afford him. Then maybe he'd come to the Pens as a plan b. Maybe.

Carolina cant afford him unless the move on from guys like Necas, Pesce and Jarvis.

They have a ton of UFA's and RFA's. Like they have 30 mill in cap but only half the team is signed.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Jake's from Omaha and played hockey in Nebraska and Minnesota coming up.

I think Buffalo makes a lot of sense for Jake.

• Still close to Pitt if his family wants to stay there.
  • Buffalo has cap to pay a lot like 9.5 to 10.
  • They would easily be a playoff team with Jake
Thatas a dope top 6 and top 4. They just need a goalie.

Jake - Thompson - Tuch
Benson - Cozens - Quinn

Bryam - Dahlin
Power - Jokiharju

I imagine they let a lot of their D walk. They can afford him.

They still need to sign

Drury
Teravainen
Necas
Jarvis

They could afford him but it kills there depth and would alter their team play a ton to be more top heavy.

Kuzy was a mistake

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think Buffalo makes a lot of sense for Jake.

• Still close to Pitt if his family wants to stay there.
  • Buffalo has cap to pay a lot like 9.5 to 10.
  • They would easily be a playoff team with Jake
Thatas a dope top 6 and top 4. They just need a goalie.

Jake - Thompson - Tuch
Benson - Cozens - Quinn

Bryam - Dahlin
Power - Jokiharju

They still need to sign

Drury
Teravainen
Necas
Jarvis

They could afford him but it kills there depth and would alter their team play a ton to be more top heavy.

Kuzy was a mistake

I think they trade Necas.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Dubas' job was to get Sully players. Sully's job was to choose who he wanted to use. I give credit for Dubas trying to pick up guys left and right off the waiver wire, and trying to restock the WBS pool (ie. Hinestroza, etc). If Pulju pans out, then that's a major win right there!

I would blame Dubas on not moving out someone like Smith in December, or at least make some sort of real move.

I 100% blame Sully for not cycling through the youth, and for being insistent on playing Carter everywhere in every situation. I 100% blame Sully for having an overly short leash on Puus and other young players. Having them benched for making a mistake.
Agreed but Dubas is still the one that sends players up and down. So in the sense of "Sullivan plays the guys that Dubas gives him", well now they are both at fault.

Realistically, though, Dubas and Sullivan likely speak daily, so it's not like they aren't on the same page about the "whens and whos" of call-ups. The thing we don't really know, is how much Dubas actually agrees with Sullivan on some guys. We'll take Harkins for example - we don't really know if Dubas likes him as much as Sullivan does or if he's just there because Sully really, REALLY advocated for him. To the most practical extent possible, they have to be on the same page. That was something they said was bad about Hextall was that there was little communication between between him and Sully. Sully wanted Chychrun and Hextall and Pryor went out and got Granlund (and paid a 2nd for the privilege).
They still need to sign

Drury
Teravainen
Necas
Jarvis

Kuzy was a mistake
I think TT would be an easy cap casualty if it means you sign Guentzel. They have Morrow and Smith that can be added to the NHL roster. It might more depend on what Necas, Drury, and Jarvis want. In the tradition of the Hurricanes, you can get that all three will give them a sweet deal. But I mean, if they go far this year and you can go back and say "hey, take a bit less so we can build the team", you might get them to do so. At the very least, maybe a 2-3 year bridge because by that time, they will be able to add Nikishin, Morrow, Nadeau, and Blake with Burns coming off.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I think they trade Necas.

I guess but they just seems opposite to the way carolina runs things.

Trade a 25 year old to sign a 30 year old.

Jake Career high is 84 pts
Necas Career high is 71 pts

Agreed but Dubas is still the one that sends players up and down. So in the sense of "Sullivan plays the guys that Dubas gives him", well now they are both at fault.

Realistically, though, Dubas and Sullivan likely speak daily, so it's not like they aren't on the same page about the "whens and whos" of call-ups. The thing we don't really know, is how much Dubas actually agrees with Sullivan on some guys. We'll take Harkins for example - we don't really know if Dubas likes him as much as Sullivan does or if he's just there because Sully really, REALLY advocated for him. To the most practical extent possible, they have to be on the same page. That was something they said was bad about Hextall was that there was little communication between between him and Sully. Sully wanted Chychrun and Hextall and Pryor went out and got Granlund (and paid a 2nd for the privilege).

I think TT would be an easy cap casualty if it means you sign Guentzel. They have Morrow and Smith that can be added to the NHL roster. It might more depend on what Necas, Drury, and Jarvis want. In the tradition of the Hurricanes, you can get that all three will give them a sweet deal. But I mean, if they go far this year and you can go back and say "hey, take a bit less so we can build the team", you might get them to do so. At the very least, maybe a 2-3 year bridge because by that time, they will be able to add Nikishin, Morrow, Nadeau, and Blake with Burns coming off.

Necas career high is 71pts
Svechnikov is 69pts

Even at a discount Necas still could be in the 7-8 million range.
Jarvis will be cheaper but not far behind.

Again I bet Kuzy is dead cap for them next year.

Reactions: SEALBound

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

It was Dubas’ job to sign garbage players for Sully? Way to try to deflect blame, but the crappy bottom six was because of Dubas.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
It was Dubas’ job to sign garbage players for Sully? Way to try to deflect blame, but the crappy bottom six was because of Dubas.

I will give Dubas one more offseason. I think he tried to run the team to support sullivan last summer and it failed miserable.

He can redeem himself if he fires Sullivan and moves the team into a different direction. If he doubles down then he can get lost too.

I do agree he was awful last offseason tho btw.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I will give Dubas one more offseason. I think he tried to run the team to support sullivan last summer and it failed miserable.

He can redeem himself if he fires Sullivan and moves the team into a different direction. If he doubles down then he can get lost too.

Agreed. Dubas has done a terrible job this year, but I'll see what he does this summer to have a final verdict on him.

I have very little faith in what he will do this summer.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Agreed. Dubas has done a terrible job this year, but I'll see what he does this summer to have a final verdict on him.

Same but if he fire's the invincible sullivan, I do believe it will send a shock of changed through the whole organization. I honestly think trading Malkin or Letang does nothing.

They have two moves to shake this organization up.

Fire Sullivan
Trade Sid

That's it. Nothing else will produce change anymore.

Reactions: Gurglesons

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I guess but they just seems opposite to the way carolina runs things.

Trade a 25 year old to sign a 30 year old.

Jake Career high is 84 pts
Necas Career high is 71 pts

Necas career high is 71pts
Svechnikov is 69pts

Even at a discount Necas still could be in the 7-8 million range.
Jarvis will be cheaper but not far behind.

Again I bet Kuzy is dead cap for them next year.
I would suggest that Svechnikov is a much more consistent performer though. Necas seems to have had ups and downs. Could be why he was reportedly on the trade block this past month. I'm sure if they wanted to trade him out for a younger, cost-controlled winger, they could most certainly find a taker.

I think Jarvis will probably get closer to what Necas got. Maybe a bit more like $4-4.5mil. That's consistent with what Necas got with similar performance a couple years ago. If you give Necas $6mil, Jarvis $4mil, and Drury $2mil, that leaves you with $18mil to get 3 dmen and 3 forwards including two top 6 wings. If Jake is taking $8mil of that, they really have to bank on their young prospects to come in and fill cheap holes.

This is a good quality post with a fresh perspective. Thank you for sharing this and adding to his message board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad