Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I disagree. Sid and Geno have actually been worse defensively the last couple of years. Love them both, and Sid had a stretch where he was a menace for 200 feet, but there have been far more breakdowns of late.
Yeah.. @Andy99 what do you mean... Cause they seem to be a step behind players in the NZ/DZ with some really bad positioning too (I mean, even our DMen seem to be terrible with body positioning)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't know that I'd call him good defensively but Malkin has taken obvious steps to play a much more conservative game this season. Sometimes painfully so. So there is an adjustment there I just don't know how wise it is once it's all said and done.

Sidebar to that... it's very weird what's going on with his shooting or lack of it this year past like the 20 game mark. I just assume something is wrong with it until he randomly smokes one past some poor bastard goaltender that has flames coming out of the back of the damned thing. There is an intentional nature to it that is baffling and you'd think the team would want to figure it out.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Conservative and less offensively aggressive, maybe i can see that

But that's not really the same as being defensively responsible

Yeah, like, geno was a corpse for 20 games... Then busts out 2009 cannons last game

I dunno, maybe he was hurt

He came out the gates looking five years younger

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah.. @Andy99 what do you mean... Cause they seem to be a step behind players in the NZ/DZ with some really bad positioning too (I mean, even our DMen seem to be terrible with body positioning)
They aren’t what they were offensively either, step slow there…they both should be taking on more DZ starts…thought Sid modeled himself after Stevie Y lol

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ah, I see.. Yeah.. They are a better bet than 3C/4C at that
Yeah, but what I suggested was going back to a three line scoring model and evening out OZ starts and then I got jumped on by others saying Sid and G aren’t great defensively…no they aren’t but we’re not scoring either, second to last in finishing…best way to get more scoring depth is to get other players more opportunities…and no I don’t mean a player like Acciari…we need more offensively dynamic wingers overall

Reactions: BusinessGoose

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Yeah, but what I suggested was going back to a three line scoring model and evening out OZ starts and then I got jumped on by others saying Sid and G aren’t great defensively…no they aren’t but we’re not scoring either, second to last in finishing…best way to get more scoring depth is to get other players more opportunities…and no I don’t mean a player like Acciari…we need more offensively dynamic wingers overall
Ah I didn't see the context for the convo

Yeah the 2/2 lines Sully has done is so stupid

But it puts more stone hands grinders like himself in the Show

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What are the thoughts on trading our first (if we keep it) for a good young forward under team control and cost effective?
Who? There's not a single impact forward available that we could land with our first that would move the needle.

And throwing away yet another 1st on yet another 50~ point winger isn't something I'm keen for this organization to keep doing.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So Dubas basically has to undo his dog sh** bottom six he assembled and run it back?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
So Dubas basically has to undo his dog sh** bottom six he assembled and run it back?
FSG are unwilling to rebuild, so he's screwed no matter what he does, really. They are blocking progress.
Not sure there's a GM alive who could make us contenders next season.

Wouldn't be surprised if ownership just sell the team when Sid bails, if not sooner.
They are approaching it like soccer, where if you spend enough money you can turn it around for your club. Doesn't work in hockey. You have to actually manage and build a proper foundation over a long period of time before you can win.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think Gruden was sent down because they don't have the cap space, which is really sad.
Our cap usage has been a f***ing mess for the last like 4 years. Whoever they fired who was doing cap management should be re-hired posthaste. :laugh:

FSG are unwilling to rebuild, so he's screwed no matter what he does, really. They are blocking progress.
Not sure there's a GM alive who could make us contenders next season.

Wouldn't be surprised if ownership just sell the team when Sid bails, if not sooner.
They are approaching it like soccer, where if you spend enough money you can turn it around for your club. Doesn't work in hockey. You have to actually manage and build a proper foundation over a long period of time before you can win.
Which everyone and their mother who is even a passive fan of the sport knows but apparently this is some sort of forbidden knowledge to FSG. Still laughing about the time people bragged that FSG hired one guy to oversee the club who needed time to learn the game... instead of just hiring someone who actually knew the game.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Good thing we traded a 1st + 2nd last summer for EK65 and not the unanimous #1 goalie in the league right now!
Do we even know that Hellebuyck was really available.? He never got moved and eventually re-signed with the Jets.

Not to mention it probably was going to cost a 1st and 2nd just to move out Petry, Granlund and Ruuta's contracts. The fact we got EK out of it is fine, imo. I'd rather pay him than those other 3.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Do we even know that Hellebuyck was really available.? He never got moved and eventually re-signed with the Jets.

Not to mention it probably was going to cost a 1st and 2nd just to move out Petry, Granlund and Ruuta's contracts. The fact we got EK out of it is fine, imo. I'd rather pay him than those other 3.
It was widely reported he was on the trading block, some putting him as the #1 biggest trade piece on the market last summer. Whether that was contract negotiation tactics or the truth, we'll never know. We were one of the purported suitors, and that was covered by a number of media sources.

I don't have a problem with the EK65 trade persay, actually it's one of the only Dubas moves I like. It does, however, uncover a clear and reoccurring trend of this org from the last 5 years. Doubling down in the face of much needed change. We had our best chance to walk away from Jarry and we floundered it. A lazy move that went hand-in-hand with another lazy move (Dubas still chasing Karlsson from his Toronto days).

Anyway, just saying, I was clowned on for proposing we send Winnipeg 1st++ for Helle and now here he is, the standout best goalie in the league this year.

Reactions: Captain Hook

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not sure FSG ever really gave too much of a shit about the team itself, they just wanted another thing to hoard because that's what billionaires do. It'd be the height of hilarity if they just got bored and sold the team in a few years at like a $150-200 million loss. :laugh:

It's still a step up from the last guy who was creepily pedophile-adjacent.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
What are the thoughts on trading our first (if we keep it) for a good young forward under team control and cost effective?
Not sure another team would do that considering the entire point of a 1st round pick is to get that type of player.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Who? There's not a single impact forward available that we could land with our first that would move the needle.

And throwing away yet another 1st on yet another 50~ point winger isn't something I'm keen for this organization to keep doing.
Offer sheet on Pinto would be worth giving up a first and more, something OTT wouldn’t match…

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Offer sheet on Pinto would be worth giving up a first and more, something OTT wouldn’t match…
We don't have our 2nd. Might not even have our 1st. So it's either 1st and 3rd which is about $5 million aav, which Ottawa easily matches. They have dead cap coming off the books, a rising cap and Joshua Norris coming off his 3rd shoulder surgery in 3 seasons. Most likely back to LTIR.
($4,290,126 - $6,435,186 1 First Round Pick 1 Third Round Pick
$6,435,187 - $8,580,250 1 First Round Pick 1 Second Round Pick 1 Third Round Pick
$8,580,251 - $10,725,314 2 First Round Picks 1 Second Round Pick 1 Third Round Pick)
So that would leave the Penguins having to offer $8.5 million plus. Pinto isn't worth that.

Reactions: Rudy Russo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad