Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: New year, all our defence are injured and I feel fiiinnnneee... Panic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It really didn't. I did like the double shifting and I did like Heinen-Malkin-Kapanen though so there's that.

But I agree, the pieces are okay but it always seems the combination is off a bit. That's has been my primary complaint/analysis of Carter - the fact that no matter what combination is put out there with him, there never seems to be any gelling. This is why I have put 3C as our top priority. I think if you roll McGinn-Blueger-Carter as a 4th line to do the heavy defensive lifting while having a scoring line with Heinen-3C-Kapanen, we could be in business.

I balked at a Toews for Blueger+2nd+4th proposal on the main boards but I'm coming around to the idea. Perhaps Toews would be that new voice in the room that would challenge the status quo.
Oh an upgrade at 3C would be great. I don’t think the team sees that as a need though. Or even that Carter is a problem. I had a brief moment of hope with that yesterday, but…

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
We also got McGinn to replace Tanev. I am a huge Tanev fan but I think McGinn has been better this year than Tanev ever was for us.

I agree with you to some degree, but I don't feel McGinn replaces Tanev's physicality or tempo. Even when we had Tanev I still felt one of our flaws was not having more players like him. So even with McGinn being a solid replacement we're still lacking in what they bring IMO. Our compete level has been inconsistent garbage the last handful of seasons. The more guys we have going balls to the wall every shift, the better.

Reactions: SomeDude

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Unfortunately we don’t have the cap space to upgrade on 3C once Petry comes off LTIR…we’d have to lose a roster player and the only ones without NMCs who make enough coin to bring in an upgrade would be Zucker, Kap and Dumo, and Kap probably has negative value bc of his salary and extra year of term…do you see the Pens moving a top six winger for a 3C? I don’t, and unfortunately they seem to love Dumo lol, and I’m not sure they can get a good roster player back for him

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I agree with you to some degree, but I don't feel McGinn replaces Tanev's physicality or tempo. Even when we had Tanev I still felt one of our flaws was not having more players like him. So even with McGinn being a solid replacement we're still lacking in what they bring IMO. Our compete level has been inconsistent garbage the last handful of seasons. The more guys we have going balls to the wall every shift, the better.
Yea, the physicality is the reason I was way more upset about losing Tanev than McCann in the expansion draft. However, until we have a new coach, physical players are not wanted on the Pittsburgh Penguins.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also Tanev hit a lot but mostly only hurt himself doing so.

Unfortunately we don’t have the cap space to upgrade on 3C once Petry comes off LTIR…we’d have to lose a roster player and the only ones without NMCs who make enough coin to bring in an upgrade would be Zucker, Kap and Dumo, and Kap probably has negative value bc of his salary and extra year of term…do you see the Pens moving a top six winger for a 3C? I don’t, and unfortunately they seem to love Dumo lol, and I’m not sure they can get a good roster player back for him
I dunno, Kap is probably moveable for a swap. He’s producing well in very limited ice time, guy is pacing for 45 points and he’s getting under 8 minutes a night. :laugh:

Hell, you might be even find people who want him. It’s clear that this team doesn’t.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm starting to think Dumo's gone at the deadline. Hextall seems to like making one big move then at least, and I don't see who else would be moved to clear space if not him.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm starting to think Dumo's gone at the deadline. Hextall seems to like making one big move then at least, and I don't see who else would be moved to clear space if not him.
Pettersson, maybe? As mentioned above you could probably convince someone to take Kap without a sweetener too, but probably not as a straight cap dump.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think it's pretty much common knowledge that deployment has just as much, or more, to do with the productivity of an NHL player as talent or ability.
Agreed. But being that he isn't here, there's no way to determine what his usage would have been, what his production would have been, or what his extension would have been. Would I take that maybe over current Carter, yes.
Oh an upgrade at 3C would be great. I don’t think the team sees that as a need though. Or even that Carter is a problem. I had a brief moment of hope with that yesterday, but…
I think they do to an extent with Carter being move to RW with Bleuger at center. Presumably the line is McGinn-Bleuger-Carter which should be a great defensive line. Just leaves the matter of another bottom 6 line. I think we have the makings with Heinen-Kapanen or even Poehling. We just need a competent 3C.
I mean, go look at his usage when we were healthy. He was consistently used as a 3rd line winger or effectively the least used forward.

I loved McCann. I wanted him for years. He wasn’t succeeding in that role here with our coach.
Then why would we have given him $5mil in that pretend scenario?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Pettersson, maybe? As mentioned above you could probably convince someone to take Kap without a sweetener too, but probably not as a straight cap dump.
That would only weaken our team unless we're acquiring a top 4 LD IMO. Petts has been fine. The left side's already weak as things stand.
Dumo's very clearly the weak link right now. There's still 21 teams that aren't on his list. His deal is expiring. It's totally doable if you add a sweetener.

I'd be ok with dealing Kap for a budget 3C or good 4C I guess. Not like he's gonna play much here.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Agreed. But being that he isn't here, there's no way to determine what his usage would have been, what his production would have been, or what his extension would have been. Would I take that maybe over current Carter, yes.

I think they do to an extent with Carter being move to RW with Bleuger at center. Presumably the line is McGinn-Bleuger-Carter which should be a great defensive line. Just leaves the matter of another bottom 6 line. I think we have the makings with Heinen-Kapanen or even Poehling. We just need a competent 3C.

Then why would we have given him $5mil in that pretend scenario?

Because that is what he would've commanded and why we traded him?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Because that is what he would've commanded and why we traded him?
I'm not so sure. He potted 27g in 74gp for Seatle while being their 1/2C. Something he wasn't doing here.

If all he was getting was the 9-10min a game as a wing, he wouldn't have commanded that here. Plus he was a RFA so it's not like he had a ton of leverage.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It wouldn’t be a HFPens salary cap thread if people weren’t simping for former Penguins players who are good elsewhere :laugh:

There isn’t a former Penguins player in the league that is doing something that makes me think “damn, I wish the Penguins still had him”. McCann is a great fit in Seattle but he’s not at all what the Penguins are missing from their team today.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not so sure. He potted 27g in 74gp for Seatle while being their 1/2C. Something he wasn't doing here.

If all he was getting was the 9-10min a game as a wing, he wouldn't have commanded that here. Plus he was a RFA so it's not like he had a ton of leverage.

So why exactly do you think we traded him? You think they just didn't have any contract talks and moved a young 15-20 goal guy because they like Hallander?

Anyways, how long until Kapanen demands a trade?

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
It wouldn’t be a HFPens salary cap thread if people weren’t simping for former Penguins players who are good elsewhere :laugh:

There isn’t a former Penguins player in the league that is doing something that makes me think “damn, I wish the Penguins still had him”. McCann is a great fit in Seattle but he’s not at all what the Penguins are missing from their team today.
I would absolutely love to have McCann back. He took way too much hate here and it was stupid to protect Carter over him.

Yes, I get Sully wouldn’t use him right. He was and is still the better player.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So why exactly do you think we traded him? You think they just didn't have any contract talks and moved a young 15-20 goal guy because they like Hallander?

Anyways, how long until Kapanen demands a trade?
Cap shedding I imagine.

I'm actually surprised Kapanen hasn't asked for one already. I'd be a bit peeved if I was doing that well with my limited minutes and continued to see limited minutes.

Good news, is that he's done quite a bit of positive since his HS'ing which could bump value if we are looking to swap someone out.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Can you imagine how enraged this place would be if Hextall didn't qualify Kapanen, which most of us were pining for, and he signed with a team that actually used him well?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Can you imagine how enraged this place would be if Hextall didn't qualify Kapanen, which most of us were pining for, and he signed with a team that actually used him well?
I'm still mad that we didn't try for a Kapanen for Kubalik. Realistically, Kubalik's performance in Detroit is something that we are missing.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I'd absolutely love to have Jordan Staal back

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Hey, just wondering if our forward depth in the bottom 6 could stand for a player or 2 via trade?
great post! like to have you post more. so here is a question for you. kapy is now in the same spot on our team as the two people you brought up were. just from the eye test he is playing well in a very limited roll. but i also think he would be even better playing on his offside something sully would never do. what's your view on him?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
1672771527249.png

So McCann's essentially the most effective 5v5 goal scorer in hockey this year.
Yeah we definitely don't need finishing like that here. He would be of no use.
That's been made clear by our 16 goals over the last 7 games.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Nah, you fire the coach because he hasn't won a playoff series in 5 years and we've only got a few more whacks at the apple. Kapanen is a symptom. Dumoulin riding the top pairing is a symptom. Carter being used in high pressure defensive situations is a symptom.

These are all correctable things, but we're not correcting them, and we're not winning. So, I don't get why you want to die on that hill, tbh. Like if we were playing out of our minds, then fair enough, Sullivan can run this team however he wants. But we're playing boring hockey, the top 6 looks like shit, and the blueline is atrocious. We can't replace all of that at once, but a new coach could maybe spark something and maybe squeeze a bit more blood out of this stone. I see it as a worthwhile gamble. :dunno:

Why does it seem like every single defense of Sullivan implies that people want him fired because of the current losing streak?

Yes, people want Sullivan fired because we lost to the Bruins, went 0 for 9 on the PP versus the Devils, and looked like ass against the Isles. That's the entirety of why he needs to go. Nothing to do with YEARS of the same issues cropping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad