Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: If we score 6 we win, its science!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Haha... well... I guess Malkin has been the closest thing on this team to an enforcer for a while. But that's just because the rest of the roster is uh... well... Therrien had a term for it, I think.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If we look at RFAs, Comtois definitely seems like a fit for the middle six.

Frederic, Bastian or Fischer for L4.

I think the smart thing to do is move out Blueger still and built a fourth line like.. Frederic - Poehling - McGinn that can actually do some damage physically on the forecheck to the opposing Ds.

Right on. That's what I've been wanting to see more out of on L4 for a while, now. It's no disrespect to Blueger. But a line built around him is going to be more about passive defensive mitigation... for lack of a better term. More of a cerebral defensive line. That's all well and good but I want a more punishing line on this team somewhere in the mix.

I liked the good old days when they could have someone willing to play big for their size and gritty on every line, and think part of this team's problem is a tendency to group all the attributes on one line.

As such, much as I value 4C, I'm kinda hoping Poehling can be a middle six LW here as that helps that more.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I liked the good old days when they could have someone willing to play big for their size and gritty on every line, and think part of this team's problem is a tendency to group all the attributes on one line.

As such, much as I value 4C, I'm kinda hoping Poehling can be a middle six LW here as that helps that more.

I think that's true but also feel like it's way easier to get guys like that for L4 or L3 than L2. Finding a guy who can put a little fear in your opposition and get those D to grip their sticks a little tighter on the forecheck while also being able to at least keep up on offense is rare. So I guess I'd at least like to have it as a deployable unit without breaking the bank.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

What good old days were these in the Sid and Malkin era lol.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Well after watching last night, McGinn is not that LW or RW who brings that element of grit and initiate a message that we are here and going nowhere. He to me is a good candidate to be moved and if Hextall has to add a pick not a 1 or 2 next year, so be it. Pens have cheaper replacements who can bring size and some bang to the roster.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Well after watching last night, McGinn is not that LW or RW who brings that element of grit and initiate a message that we are here and going nowhere. He to me is a good candidate to be moved and if Hextall has to add a pick not a 1 or 2 next year, so be it. Pens have cheaper replacements who can bring size and some bang to the roster.

Yup, I prefer to not have a shit list at all but McGinn is #1 for me considering his cap hit. If he made league min, I wouldn't care. But he's just so plain ass vanilla and we shipped some of those guys out this summer. Hextall needs to keep chopping these types of players.

He was billed as a "Tanev replacement" but I'd rather have Tanev at this cap hit vs McGinn.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Agree…I dont like his game, almost as much as I hate Kap’s lol…

Loved the power forward article…I don’t think we need a marchment in the top six…what we’re missing, particularly in the POs, is scoring on the PP…outside of the goaltending, our PP has let us down the most in the POs…that’s one reason I’m big on the P.Kane train…at ES, we could even have him playing in place of Kap w Carter and have a truely threatening third line again in the POs…

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think that's true but also feel like it's way easier to get guys like that for L4 or L3 than L2. Finding a guy who can put a little fear in your opposition and get those D to grip their sticks a little tighter on the forecheck while also being able to at least keep up on offense is rare. So I guess I'd at least like to have it as a deployable unit without breaking the bank.

Well that's why I harbour faint hopes for Poehling and don't want him typecast as a C only, because you're right about the rarity so I find myself hoping for a lucky break on player development.

What good old days were these in the Sid and Malkin era lol.

Double team with Horny and Kunitz, and even Scott Wilson and guys like Rowney to a small degree. Weren't super punishing, but more than we have, and enough to slow down Ottawa's defence in that conference semi-final when they were trapping like mad.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well that's why I harbour faint hopes for Poehling and don't want him typecast as a C only, because you're right about the rarity so I find myself hoping for a lucky break on player development.

Double team with Horny and Kunitz, and even Scott Wilson and guys like Rowney to a small degree. Weren't super punishing, but more than we have, and enough to slow down Ottawa's defence in that conference semi-final when they were trapping like mad.

I guess, man.

If you want to see "real old days" go what our Penguins cup winner in 92 when we were throwing over Stevens, Tocchet, and Trottier.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I guess, man.

If you want to see "real old days" go what our Penguins cup winner in 92 when we were throwing over Stevens, Tocchet, and Trottier.

Well yeah, but you can count the number of guys like Stevens on one hand in today's NHL at a guess. Even if I'd watched that era, I'd still be forgetting about it as a guide to what can be expected from physicality today together, because it's just totally different.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well yeah, but you can count the number of guys like Stevens on one hand in today's NHL at a guess. Even if I'd watched that era, I'd still be forgetting about it as a guide to what can be expected from physicality today together, because it's just totally different.

I don't think Kunitz, Rowney, etc are the types I'm talking about. Hornqvist to a degree, but I want an actual big body.

Even Prime Kunitz wasn't exactly a menace outside of that big hit on Timo which was completely illegal.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think Kunitz, Rowney, etc are the types I'm talking about. Hornqvist to a degree, but I want an actual big body.

Even Prime Kunitz wasn't exactly a menace outside of that big hit on Timo which was completely illegal.

I didn't think they were either, but my point about liking to see the capability spread rather than focused on one line stands.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I didn't think they were either, but my point about liking to see the capability spread rather than focused on one line stands.

It falls. :P

I think you have the size / physical element with Sid and Rakell and L2. You can get away with the smaller skilled talent up there. The real issue is they want to role L3 as Heinen - Carter - Kapanen and then McGinn - Blueger - Archibald. Just way too small and weak bottom six. Poehling added in the bottom does a decent job changing that.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
yeah happy to move out anyone in the 4th to make a spot for poehling. mcginn has just been so boring

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It falls. :P

I think you have the size / physical element with Sid and Rakell and L2. You can get away with the smaller skilled talent up there. The real issue is they want to role L3 as Heinen - Carter - Kapanen and then McGinn - Blueger - Archibald. Just way too small and weak bottom six. Poehling added in the bottom does a decent job changing that.

Eh, fair enough if you see it that way. Me, I reckon Carter and McGinn throw their weight around as much as Rakell, and Archibald probably plays with more spite than anyone other than annoyed Malkin. As such, I don't see a huge amount of difference, and would rather make L3 more physical than L4 anyway.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Eh, fair enough if you see it that way. Me, I reckon Carter and McGinn throw their weight around as much as Rakell, and Archibald probably plays with more spite than anyone other than annoyed Malkin. As such, I don't see a huge amount of difference, and would rather make L3 more physical than L4 anyway.

Not really sure I get your love for Archibald. Nothing he does means anything to me.

I like Carter on L3 for his size the issue is the other two although I think Kapanen has the size and frame to play physical. Remember his dad.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Haha... well... I guess Malkin has been the closest thing on this team to an enforcer for a while. But that's just because the rest of the roster is uh... well... Therrien had a term for it, I think.
The team had Godard, Engelland, Asham and Rupp and Geno still stuck up for himself because he's a fiesty dude who grew up in one of Russia's steel towns. :laugh:

It doesn't matter whether the Pens employ guys like that or not. Geno's gonna hit back almost every time, for better or worse. :laugh: And Sid will take a mental note and get the dude back when he least expects it if someone takes liberties. That's just how those two dudes are, and most superstars for that matter.

-edit- As stoked as I am with how much more physical, and proactive in that regard, the Penguins were in game 1. I think the Pens are missing a Ruutu-esque shit disturber. Someone who isn't gonna deter cheapshots (because that's not a thing anyone does, including Reaves), or someone that's gonna act like a mutual assured destruction guy who is gonna elbow the opposition's star in the temple. I want a dude who is gonna keep the other team losing their shit all night long and rattled because he's skating around being a little shit. Sorta what Hornqvist did to opposing goalies/blueliners around the crease--but I'm not sure that sorta thing fits with Sully's "shut your mouth, do your job" style.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not really sure I get your love for Archibald. Nothing he does means anything to me.

I like Carter on L3 for his size the issue is the other two although I think Kapanen has the size and frame to play physical. Remember his dad.

I wouldn't say I love him, more that unlike everyone else I don't auto-dislike him. I'm going to wait and see. But trait wise, he does have two traits I like and find missing from the 4th line... he's very fast and he's nasty. He's also small, not that skillful, and possibly a bit stupid so I dunno where I'll end up on him, but, trait wise, I get why he's here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I wouldn't say I love him, more that unlike everyone else I don't auto-dislike him. I'm going to wait and see. But trait wise, he does have two traits I like and find missing from the 4th line... he's very fast and he's nasty. He's also small, not that skillful, and possibly a bit stupid so I dunno where I'll end up on him, but, trait wise, I get why he's here.

I don’t really see him being nasty. He laid that monster hit on Greenway a few years ago tho. I dunno. I’d much rather get a bigger body that doesn’t hit as much but plays a heavy game ala Maroon over Archibald.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't have any specific players in mind but I would love that (with just enough nasty to make the other guy think, if possible) on L2. But I'd settle for it anywhere, yeah. They'd have to open up the vault a little more if it's the kind of guy that can skate on L2 as opposed to like L3 or 4 but I think it'd be worth it.
I'd take a flier on Comtois.

Fantasyland, but I also wonder if Dallas would part with Benn at 50%. He'd be great with Malkin and Rust.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
After one game (against an AHL team), Zucker revitalized his career as a Penguin.

And Logan Thompson is an elite goaltender.

Let's revisit in a couple weeks. These forecasts based on a single game are silly.

However, they talked about it in the broadcast last night- games like that one do have the potential to establish a trend. Hoping that's exactly what happens. I've been one of the biggest Zucker critics around here. Hope he shuts me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA