Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: Feb 26th, the deadline day warmup

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I'll say this in Pixie's defense: It's a lot to give up, but Tampa giving that up is different from say us giving that up. I'd be pissed if Hextall gave up that haul for Jeannot because we aren't one player away.

Tampa though? They might be one player away. They're still in the prime of their contending window. It'd be like if we made this trade in 2016 or something.
He absolutely just makes their bottom 6 heavy and extremely difficult to play against and their top 6 is already set.

I get why they did it I just feel like they could have did a 1st and a 2nd or a 1st and a prospect at the most. (I know the later picks don't mean much) but they are assets to move contracts/fill injuries etc. They basically used everything.

I'm a sure they overpaid now to stay out of a bidding war b/c teams would have definitely went after him. They don't make many like the OX

metalan2

May 30, 2008
What in the world is that haul for Jeannot? I mean he could be the missing piece that helps them win the cup, so it'd be worth it, but damn. That's nearly the Timo Meier haul.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't quite agree, winning a cup would be how you justify that shit trade. It's a shit trade regardless, you just hope you win to make up for it. Same kind of situation the Despres for Lovejoy trade was.
Sure, but does anyone care about any shit trades JR made during our b2b cups now? Nobody does I imagine.

If you're in your contending window and you need an element, it's fine to overpay for said element. Tampa understands that. JR did too.

You just reallllly gotta recognize when you're not in that window any more and stop doing dumb shit. JR never got that part.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Partially yes. Hes not a rental and most likely be a reasonable new contract. Over you need cheap prospects to fill your roster. Tampa just gutted their draft for the foreseeable future on a 3rd liner.
You kind of do, but if you have a $2.5M guy providing you $5-6M value that is worth a lot.

You can sign your 4th liners and such off the scrap heap if you need to.

I will say this does match Tampa's pattern of identifying talents on below-market contracts with some sandpaper and paying a premium for them. Coleman. Paul. Hagel. Elite cheap role players. I kinda dig it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sure, but does anyone care about any shit trades JR made during our b2b cups now? Nobody does I imagine.

If you're in your contending window and you need an element, it's fine to overpay for said element. Tampa understands that. JR did too.

You just reallllly gotta recognize when you're not in that window any more and stop doing dumb shit. JR never got that part.

You're right nobody cares, but you can still call a spade a spade while admitting you're fine with how things turned out. And it's entirely dependent on the team winning for you to not care about a bad trade being a bad trade.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
They won cups because they added the Coleman - Gourde - Goodrow line.
This line of thinking is dumb. They won Cups because they had Kucherov, Hedman, Point, Stamkos and Vasilevsky WITH a good supporting cast. They also played a fake season and ran into some serious pretenders who should have never been their opponents in the final, but that's another story. Pittsburgh didn't win in 2009 because they had Kunitz and Guerin. And if they paid a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and more for Kunitz it woulda been outrageous even if they won.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You're right nobody cares, but you can still call a spade a spade while admitting you're fine with how things turned out. And it's entirely dependent on the team winning for you to not care about a bad trade being a bad trade.
I mean it also depends what impact Jeannot has too. Lovejoy wasn't some key element in the cup runs. But he did contribute, so overpay or not he helped.

Jeannot might have a higher impact. Who knows. We'll see how it plays out.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
He absolutely just makes their bottom 6 heavy and extremely difficult to play against and their top 6 is already set.

I get why they did it I just feel like they could have did a 1st and a 2nd or a 1st and a prospect at the most. (I know the later picks don't mean much) but they are assets to move contracts/fill injuries etc. They basically used everything.

I'm a sure they overpaid now to stay out of a bidding war b/c teams would have definitely went after him. They don't make many like the OX
They could have got Barbashev for much cheaper...lol

Reactions: Zirakzigil

metalan2

May 30, 2008
This line of thinking is dumb. They won Cups because they had Kucherov, Hedman, Point, Stamkos and Vasilevsky WITH a good supporting cast. They also played a fake season and ran into some serious pretenders who should have never been their opponents in the final, but that's another story. Pittsburgh didn't win in 2009 because they had Kunitz and Guerin. And if they paid a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and more for Kunitz it woulda been outrageous even if they won.
I'm of the mind that they wouldn't have sniffed either cup without Vasilevsky. He would make this current penguin team a serious contender. He's the single most important lightning player.

Reactions: shaler79 and Andy99

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'm of the mind that they wouldn't have sniffed either cup without Vasilevsky. He would make this current penguin team a serious contender. He's the single most important lightning player.
They wouldn't have. Their b2b was a farce. And good for them that they get to ride that out, but it doesn't make their spending habits not-overpays.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

They had that core for basically 5 years before winning sans Point.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Trotz is probably like "What the f***, Dave? On your way out? Really?" :laugh:

I mean, I like Jeannot, but that seems wild. The prospect is meh, and the 4th and 5th are throw-ins, but I'd still really hesitate to spend a 1st + 2nd + 3rd to roll the dice on Jeannot when there's like a 50/50 shot his rookie season where he shot at 20% was an anomaly and he's actually closer to an absolute plug.

I didn't think Hextall would be in on anybody but if these deals sorta set the market then whew, gonna be a boring one for Pens fans. I still think they should sell Zucker and Dumo. Two expiring contracts for guys who don't do enough to move the needle this season to keep, and sure as shit don't make sense to re-sign. Could probably land some nice assets, move Ty Smith up full-time and promote somebody like Poehlling, DOC, or Puustinen to see what they have in a middle-6 role for the rest of the year. Don't really see a downside to that approach, but it's probably too ambitious for this team to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino