Recalled/Assigned: Pens recall D Brian Dumoulin

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Very happy with Dumoulin's performance through 2 games. If he ends up being the one traded, his value just went up. If he ends up not getting traded, he's clearly improved and jumped back ahead of Harrington who does not have to clear waivers next season.

In particular, I liked his skating a lot better than in pre-season, his outlets are a lot better, and he seems to have shed the extreme nervousness/hesitancy he displayed during his call-up last season. I also appreciate he is skating with the puck less. That always seemed to be when he would make the bad turnovers, trying to skate it up and make a play near the offensive zone. It's just not something he should be doing much of based on the skill-set.

And the dude seems almost as big as 47. That's also a skill in my book.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, he Bort and DP are each 6'4". Suddenly our blueline isn't so small and slight (though Dumoulin doesn't use his size as much as the other two).

penguins2946*

Yeah, he Bort and DP are each 6'4". Suddenly our blueline isn't so small and slight (though Dumoulin doesn't use his size as much as the other two).

He doesn't throw his weight around like I would like to see him do, but he does use his size. Remember yesterday when he made that power move around Methot and drove to the net? I'm pretty sure that drew the penalty that Sutter scored on. It was an awesome play. If he had Despres's physicality, he would be just as good of a prospect as Harrington and Despres.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

Yep good to have some size. And Dumo has looked really good these two games.

DP is 6' 0''.

EDIT: yep Jiggy mentioned it, probably meant Despres.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
He doesn't throw his weight around like I would like to see him do, but he does use his size. Remember yesterday when he made that power move around Methot and drove to the net? I'm pretty sure that drew the penalty that Sutter scored on. It was an awesome play. If he had Despres's physicality, he would be just as good of a prospect as Harrington and Despres.

Neither Depres nor Bortz were anything close to as physical in their 2nd AHL season as they are now. I am holding out hope this development team can work miracles again with Dumoulin.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Definitely have seen a growth in Dumoulin's game from last year. Great to see. Is playing with some real confidence right now. I wasn't so high on him, but he has absolately made me a believer.

So... either trade somebody so he can play or trade him. You dont need 20 good defenseman and 2 good wingers.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Nice to see more people coming around on Dumoulin. There's no question, whether he's a top pair guy or a bottom pair guy, having 3 6'4 Dmen on this team (with Borts and Despres) would make us very difficult to play against.

With all that being said, and while we may very well trade a D prospect/young Dman, any and all discussions about trades need to start with Paul Martin. After letting Nisky and Orpik walk for nothing, and piss away so many assets in bad trades or picks, we NEED to make sure we get some assets back for Martin.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
The great thing about having these three particular 6'4 Dmen too is that they are all very capable skaters, or in Despres' case an outstanding skater. They aren't your lumbering Hal Gill/Doug Murray types.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
The great thing about having these three particular 6'4 Dmen too is that they are all very capable skaters, or in Despres' case an outstanding skater. They aren't your lumbering Hal Gill/Doug Murray types.

It is amazing across the board how good dmen can skate in the NHL nowadays. That wasn't the case in when I began watching hockey in the mid '70's., and into the '80's. The average level of skating ability is vastly superior now. I know when people begin comparing offensive stats in various eras, a lot of talk is about the goalies of today. And that is true, much bigger, much better. But they don't always talk about the level of dmen, because while they may not be as physical, their skating is so much better on the whole.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Nice to see more people coming around on Dumoulin. There's no question, whether he's a top pair guy or a bottom pair guy, having 3 6'4 Dmen on this team (with Borts and Despres) would make us very difficult to play against.

With all that being said, and while we may very well trade a D prospect/young Dman, any and all discussions about trades need to start with Paul Martin. After letting Nisky and Orpik walk for nothing, and piss away so many assets in bad trades or picks, we NEED to make sure we get some assets back for Martin.

No question about it. The veteran presence is important in the playoffs, but there's very, very little chance that Shero's winger mess can be adequately addressed in just one season. So I see this year's postseason as a longshot unless the cards fall into place perfectly in terms of trades. I just don't want to see JR overpay on any deals. Just keep our young D men and get them plenty of experience for next year:

Maatta Letang
Despres Ehrhoff
Dumo Bort
Harrington

Would be a monster group, big and dynamic with some snarl. And will give us plenty of cap room for forwards.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
No question about it. The veteran presence is important in the playoffs, but there's very, very little chance that Shero's winger mess can be adequately addressed in just one season. So I see this year's postseason as a longshot unless the cards fall into place perfectly in terms of trades. I just don't want to see JR overpay on any deals.

We lead the NHL in win% despite having seen our existing winger shortage exacerbated greatly by injuries.
With the returns of Horny, Kunitz and Bennett we are a move or two away from having what should definitely be one of the most complete rosters in the league. Management is not going to act as if this season is a "long shot". Have no doubt on that account.

Just keep our young D men and get them plenty of experience for next year:
Maatta Letang
Despres Ehrhoff
Dumo Bort
Harrington

Would be a monster group, big and dynamic with some snarl. And will give us plenty of cap room for forwards.

I consider this beautiful, absolutely my hope for next season as well, but I do not at all see why we could not jump start that one using for instance Martin, Spaling and Pouliot to address our issues at wing during this season.

Certainly, Martin would be a loss here and now, but to my mind insignificant compared to what could be gained by empowering Sid and Geno more, and having pieces fall into place for a pretty wicked bottom 6 also.

We do not need to acquire world beaters. If we could overpay for a SIGNED Foligno and add Jiri Tlusty or Chris Stewart with a pick and second level prospect, I would think us good to go.
Yes, if we were dealing Pouliot for instance, we would want something more juicy coming back, but this is just an example (move pieces around as you desire).

Foligno Sid Stewart
Kunitz Malkin Horny
Bennett Sutter Downie
Hammer Goc Comeau
Adams, Megna

Maatta Letang
Despres Ehrhoff
Dumoulin Bortuzzo
Scuderi, Harrington

Fleury
Greiss

Don't tell me that this roster should look at any other team with envy or that it could not go all the way if we get momentum when it matters.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Seems my thread-killer abilities returned....
Candyman, Candyman, Candyman!

This thread was on life support before you opined on the situation =p Should have added it to the trade thread, that is as eternal and full of life as New York City

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
We lead the NHL in win% despite having seen our existing winger shortage exacerbated greatly by injuries.
With the returns of Horny, Kunitz and Bennett we are a move or two away from having what should definitely be one of the most complete rosters in the league. Management is not going to act as if this season is a "long shot". Have no doubt on that account.

I agree management doesn't see it that way, and we can definitely do well in the east, but I don't think we stack up well against any of the western contenders aside from maybe Anaheim, or Nashville if you want to call them a contender. But there's every likelihood it will be Chicago or LA.

I just don't want to see JR trade away any more than one of our young D men, and definitely not Despres or Harrington. I could stand if he let Dumo, DP, or even Maatta go just because the return on Maatta would be pretty obscene, and we're so deep on LHD.

But the return on even Dumo needs to be a talented forward that's got top 6 potential that's stuck in the A right now. Dumo absolutely will be a middle-pairing NHL D man, I don't want to see any Dumo for Stewart deals.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I agree management doesn't see it that way, and we can definitely do well in the east, but I don't think we stack up well against any of the western contenders aside from maybe Anaheim, or Nashville if you want to call them a contender. But there's every likelihood it will be Chicago or LA.

I just don't want to see JR trade away any more than one of our young D men, and definitely not Despres or Harrington. I could stand if he let Dumo, DP, or even Maatta go just because the return on Maatta would be pretty obscene, and we're so deep on LHD.

But the return on even Dumo needs to be a talented forward that's got top 6 potential that's stuck in the A right now. Dumo absolutely will be a middle-pairing NHL D man, I don't want to see any Dumo for Stewart deals.

This…

I was pretty shocked to see all the criticism Dumoulin received in the last game for not being able to cover Martin's worst game in quite some time. I liked the coaching move to sit him down after he got his confidence crushed, but he never should have been playing middle pairing with a rapidly declining Martin in his 9th game in the League. That coaching move I did not like.

But then again, I don't like the idea of Dumoulin playing with Scuds who also is talented at putting his partner in difficult positions on a regular basis. Dumoulin and Bortz would have been a decent pairing IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad