Confirmed with Link: Pens re-sign RFAs Rust ($640k), Wilson, Kuhnhackl ($625k) to 2-year deals

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
There's plenty of room for forwards. Sundqvist should be replacing one of Bonino/Fehr next season. And if this organization is true to its word, they'll be looking to give Wilson more opportunity with Crosby.

Wilson-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-Fehr-Rust
Kuhn-Sundqvist-Sprong

Kunitz should go in the offseason. Bonino should as well unless he can step in for Malkin and help get Kessel going.

Wilson may wind up there eventually, but I don't want to just hand him, or Sprong for that matter, the spot. Moving Kunitz and/or Bonino, maybe with a 2nd as a sweetener, for a better fit at LW should happen. Sundqvist could hold down that center spot, but given how well Cullen has played, how do you not at least offer to bring him back for one more year?

Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Can we please fire idiot Sullivan now?
Dec 11, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Meh signings, but cheap enough I guess. I'm not sold on any of these three being more than career AHL'ers that can play spot duty on call up. Wilson plays the most complete game, so he can hopefully be a diamond in the rough.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Cullen has been exactly what I thought he would be when I suggested signing him last summer. We've also been playing him more than we should, and it's only going to get worse with Malkin out. I'd be hesitant to give him anything more than a 12/13th forward role next season. Even then, he's best at center and the 4C role should belong to Sundqvist next fall. He's turning 40. I'd like to see what he looks like in the playoffs.

I have no issue playing Wilson ahead of Kunitz next season. Especially when you factor in salaries. Kunitz is marginally better at this point. Not 6x better. Obviously you look to clear Kunitz's cap space and roster spot for an upgrade in free agency, but that's no guarantee.

Sprong is a total wild card. I'd imagine with the emergence of some bottom six guys, he'll probably get sent down to Juniors again unless he takes a step forward. The Pens scouts are being quoted today as really talking up Wilson, Rust and Kuhn's defensive games. And that their offense flows from that. Sprong will need to show some improvement there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=873780&cmpid=pit-twt-penguins

The three of them inking those deals today is also incredibly rewarding for Sexton and his staff, especially considering they were all marathon prospects. When it comes to picking in the later rounds, the Penguins’ approach is that every player selected there needs to have at least one dimension that can get them to the league. But there are other areas they need to improve in, and usually, that takes time.

“Every player develops at his own rate, no matter how much development work is put in,” Sexton said. “As great as (Mark Recchi) and Billy Guerin are, they can’t help a kid grow two inches taller. They can help him get stronger, but that’s a process. Our coaches can help him refine his skills, but it’s like driving a golf ball straight. You don’t just pick up the club, take three swings and all of a sudden you’re hitting it 250 straight down the fairlane. It takes time.”

That was the situation with Wilson, taken in the seventh round back in 2011.

“In Scott Wilson’s case, when we drafted him, he was maybe 5-9 or 5-10 and maybe 170,” Sexton said. “But he reminds me a lot of Chris Kunitz. He’s got that impact strength. He hits players much bigger than him and implodes them at times. He creates time and space for his center and for himself because of his style of play. But Willy needed time to get stronger, he needed time to further refine his skills and that’s why he was a late-round pick.”

For Rust, drafted in the third round in 2010, it was those wheels. For Kuhnhackl, drafted in the fourth round that same year, it was his potential to be an all-around player.

“The attraction to Rust really was his speed,” Sexton said. “At the U.S. National Development Program he was an offensive player, but we knew he was going to Notre Dame where Jeff Jackson preaches defense-first. And you look at Tommy Kuhnhackl, he’s so different. He was a 40-plus goal scorer in the OHL, but he recognized the only way to the NHL was to become more reliable defensively. So he changed his game.”

Not only does that further emphasize the Wilson to Kunitz comparison, but I find it really interesting the Pens draft based on 1 part of their game that can get them into the NHL. It sounds like Rust's attribute was speed, Kuhnhackl's was the ability to play a 2-way game, Wilson's was his impact strength, Simon's was his hands and Sprong's was his goal scoring talent.

SaturdayNightSlegr

Jan 2, 2009
Pittsburgh suburbs
Fantastic. Each of these guys is better and cheaper than Gladams.

Sprinkle in a couple cheapo vet signings (Matt Cullen-types) and heavies-that-can-play (Tom Wilson / Ryan Reaves types - I can dream) and we've got a real bottom 6.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
Get rid of Kunitz, have bennett healthy and the forward group is pretty much set. I'd let bonino walk and resign Cullen and hope sunquist can play.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think the depth chart for next year would look like this. Assuming we move Kunitz & Bonino for picks at the draft and Sprong takes steps forward and makes the team out of camp:

XXXX - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Wilson - XXXX - Sprong
Kuhnhackl - Fehr - Rust
Sheary

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
Awesome signings. These are the kinds of players the Pens have needed on their roster for years. Hopefully we are nearing the end of the years of loading the bottom six with washed up, overpaid vets. Yet another reason Sullivan has been an improvement over MJ...he knows about these AHL guys and when/how to use them. Of course, all of the injuries have also contributed to us discovering the potential of these guys...but I still think MJ would have ****ed it up somehow.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Are these deals 1 way or 2 way? It doesnt say anywhere.

One way.

But they wouldn't count against the cap in any way if they ended up clearing waivers and being sent to the minors, since they're under the $900k (roughly) salary relief amount. So there's no risk, other than to Lemieux and Burkle's checking account.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think the depth chart for next year would look like this. Assuming we move Kunitz & Bonino for picks at the draft and Sprong takes steps forward and makes the team out of camp:

XXXX - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Wilson - XXXX - Sprong
Kuhnhackl - Fehr - Rust
Sheary

Kuhn can also play RW and Rust seems to enjoy going to the left side more when it comes to him attacking the offensive zone. If Sprong can learn to play LW, it could fix the top 6 and bottom 6 rather quickly.

Sprong, Crosby, Hornqvist
Hagelin, Malkin, Kessel
Wilson, XXXX, Rust
Kuhnhackl, Fehr, Sheary

Then you just need to find a 3rd line C if you can figure out a way to package Bonino + Cole + one of the 2nd rounders at the draft to a team that is desperate to shore up their depth and make a splash.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Meh signings, but cheap enough I guess. I'm not sold on any of these three being more than career AHL'ers that can play spot duty on call up. Wilson plays the most complete game, so he can hopefully be a diamond in the rough.

I *****ed about Kuhnhackl when he was first up, but he's done well since then, and like Rust is more than fine as a 4th liner. Which considering what all 3 will get paid (if they're in the NHL) is more than fine.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
They are signed for cheap for the team, get a bit of security and will have the opportunity to earn a bigger contract in a couple of years. Does anyone know what the UFA/RFA status for them will be after this contract?
They'll all still be RFA.

The emergence of these guys is also good reason to ****-can Donatelli and do a proper search for a head coach for the baby Pens. You have to take the head coaching position for your AHL team very seriously, because the difference between a good development coach and a mediocre one might be the difference between guys like Rust & Wilson being the players they are today or being the next Shane Endicott or Matt Murley.
Agree, but this team had Bylsma, Hynes and Sullivan as their last AHL coaches so I guess they know what they want down in WBS.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There will never ever be another Shane Endicott. He was certainly unique. Not good or even competent, but definitely unique.

Shine on, you crazy washed up diamond, Shane-o.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Gotta hand it to Sullivan for giving these guys an opportunity to succeed on the NHL squad. These guys should all continue to develop into quality bottom 6 guys.

WooWooKennyWu*

Someone mentioned leverage well they signed 1 way deals. The days of buses and motels are things of the past, unless they wanna pay you that to be in the AHL. No more up and down in "tryout" roles so a little stability in your life. 600 or 800 no big deal for NHL guys. Not much leverage for RFA besides the 1 way deal unless you're a Top 6 guy and even then where you goin'... Nowhere

This is how you build a dynasty. Finally we have cheap contracts with some punch. These are all great energy line guys. I've been impressed by Rust and Kuhn is a gritty player. I think Wilson is the most skilled of the bunch. Before these guys Gibby was probably our best bottom 6 guy and even then he played with Crosby entirely too much

I'm not done with this Dynasty yet unlike Rossi who needs his sweater pulled over his head.

These signings should signal the end of the Kunitz and Bonino era at the very least. Like I'll always say if someone gotta go it's Fleury bc of Murray. Suddenly you pick up 11.5 million and you didn't miss a beat. Much more reasonable than trading 71, 87, 58

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Someone mentioned leverage well they signed 1 way deals. The days of buses and motels are things of the past, unless they wanna pay you that to be in the AHL. No more up and down in "tryout" roles so a little stability in your life. 600 or 800 no big deal for NHL guys. Not much leverage for RFA besides the 1 way deal unless you're a Top 6 guy and even then where you goin'... Nowhere

This is how you build a dynasty. Finally we have cheap contracts with some punch. These are all great energy line guys. I've been impressed by Rust and Kuhn is a gritty player. I think Wilson is the most skilled of the bunch. Before these guys Gibby was probably our best bottom 6 guy and even then he played with Crosby entirely too much

I'm not done with this Dynasty yet unlike Rossi who needs his sweater pulled over his head.

These signings should signal the end of the Kunitz and Bonino era at the very least. Like I'll always say if someone gotta go it's Fleury bc of Murray. Suddenly you pick up 11.5 million and you didn't miss a beat. Much more reasonable than trading 71, 87, 58

This isn't an insane trade proposal. Are you feeling okay? We're here for you.

WooWooKennyWu*

Thinking about it we have a ton of young capable NHL caliber guys at our disposal

Wilson
Rust
Kuhn
Simon
Sprong
Bennett
Sundqvist
Sheary
Guentzel*

This should open the door to pick up guys more in the prospect category. That's the next move after getting a glut of young talent. Quality over quantity. I'd really like to scoop up Radek Fasa a young 3rd line playmaking center. That's what you really need prospects with potential and I'd say Guentzel, Simon, Sprong, and Bennett are the only ones that give us that. Rust I'm on the fence he's just a gunner IMO, which isn't a bad thing for bottom 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad