Confirmed with Link: Pens re-sign RFAs Rust ($640k), Wilson, Kuhnhackl ($625k) to 2-year deals

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Good on JR for recognizing young, hard-working talent and rewarding them accordingly. All 3 of these kids have rightfully earned full-time bottom 6 spots. To think that for years Shero was offering hacks like Glass and Adams bigger salaries than what these guys are making is pretty damn laughable.

It's painful, but then I think about the contract that NYR gave Glass and I laugh. Matt ****ing Cullen is making less than Glass did for the Pens.

Then I remember that Shero could have given him the same thing if he hadn't been fired. Wasn't there something about Glass' agent being in talks with Shero and then Ray went down with his ship? It's the stuff of nightmares.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Good on JR for recognizing young, hard-working talent and rewarding them accordingly. All 3 of these kids have rightfully earned full-time bottom 6 spots. To think that for years Shero was offering hacks like Glass and Adams bigger salaries than what these guys are making is pretty damn laughable.

To be fair, "for years" we didn't have anyone on the level of even a Rust. Who was the best minor league forward we had between Kennedy and Wilson, Gibbons? Jeffrey? Jeffrey's knee derailed him and Gibbons is a Swiss league player.

Difference between Kuhnhackl and Tangradi wasn't opportunity; one guy can play a little and the other guy can't. Frankly, Kuhn got a lot less at bats than Tangradi did before he started getting on base.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yohe article talking about player comparables for these three with Sexton.

And as many of us figured, it sounds like Ray drafted these guys with Pens on his mind.

TK was the comparable for Rust. Kunitz for Wilson. And Colin Wilson for Kuhn.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yohe article talking about player comparables for these three with Sexton.

And as many of us figured, it sounds like Ray drafted these guys with Pens on his mind.

TK was the comparable for Rust. Kunitz for Wilson. And Colin Wilson for Kuhn.

“I know that’s a heck of a guy to compare anyone to. But Scott Wilson reminds me a lot of Kunitz. Same size. Similar, hard-nosed game. Impact strength, more than you’d believe, more than stats show. Great releases. I hate to put that kind of pressure on Scott, but there are a lot of similarities.â€

hahaha

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
They are signed for cheap for the team, get a bit of security and will have the opportunity to earn a bigger contract in a couple of years. Does anyone know what the UFA/RFA status for them will be after this contract?

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Really happy for them all, Kuhn in particular. I don't want to say I had written him off, but I had no expectations. Good for all.

I had written him off completely and was surprised when he returned for this season. It didn't look like he'd get a shot (and judging from his stats, he wasn't forcing anyone's hand either) and clubs like Munich were rumored to be interested for a while already. I was sure he'd sign a nice contract back in the DEL (his name alone would get him that) and didn't really understand why he returned to WBS. He really really wanted this chance and it looks like it paid off for him.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Very proud and happy for the kids. All well deserved. And to take so little even for one way deals just shows you their level of commitment to wanting to be playing in the NHL.

I can't say I am as worried or doubtful as some on here about Kuhn. What I saw when he first got to the big club was a willingness to go to the paint and the dirty areas. In fact he had some great chances to score his first few games, even more so than when the other two came up. But alas like most penguins he didn't get the puck luck/bounces. He will probably never return to his former jr. goal scorer self though the SH breakaway showed the hands may not be gone completely. I think he is fine with being a defensive winger if it means staying in the NHL.

Oh yeah, and it was very telling when MS had both Rust and Kuhn out with Crosby to protect that one goal lead which eventually lead to the EN goal.

Rust's hustle to beat the icing was awesome to see. It's a simple play but it exemplified the hunger these young guys have injected into the team.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not quite sold on Kuhn being an NHL player (he looks a step behind they play on offense), but defensively he's there. Love that we signed him to this deal.

I wonder if he can get a little bit of that scoring touch back.

It's nice to have guys in the bottom 6 that have at least shown the ability to score at lower levels. Gladams weren't even productive in the NCAA, and were inept in prime scoring areas. Kuhnhackl may not get a lot of chances, but when he does he can finish.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Do you know what's actually pretty surprising? The WBS crew actually hasn't been too bad in terms of production. I know putting up a .25 PPG isn't anything to write home about, but still, that's not bad production.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Do you know what's actually pretty surprising? The WBS crew actually hasn't been too bad in terms of production. I know putting up a .25 PPG isn't anything to write home about, but still, that's not bad production.

Yeah, that's pretty damn close to the Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck line, which is probably the best 4th line in the NHL by a decent margin. Although those guys bring a lot more from a physicality standpoint, and, conversely, also take up over $5 million in cap space (and 2 of the 3 are free agents).

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Depends what you mean by bare. They will still have Simon, Archibald, and likely Sundqvist as prospects that can be plugged in as needed. Dea is still down there and other AHL vets can be signed. Add to that new guys in Blueger and likely Guentzel. You are right they could use a healthy Bennett and they are losing some AHL depth.

Possibly Sheary down there too eh? Unless he stays on the Pens in some capacity. Like as a 12th/13th forward.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Possibly Sheary down there too eh? Unless he stays on the Pens in some capacity. Like as a 12th/13th forward.

Almost makes you feel a little bad for Sheary. Guy scores two goals to help beat the Rangers, and the other three WB/S guys get paid.

I'm not sure there's room for Wilson, Rust, Kuhnhackl AND Sheary on the team long term. Not with Sprong looming, Sundqvist deserving of a look and the hopeful replacement of Kunitz with a better top 6 wing.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I had written him off completely and was surprised when he returned for this season. It didn't look like he'd get a shot (and judging from his stats, he wasn't forcing anyone's hand either) and clubs like Munich were rumored to be interested for a while already. I was sure he'd sign a nice contract back in the DEL (his name alone would get him that) and didn't really understand why he returned to WBS. He really really wanted this chance and it looks like it paid off for him.

I never expected Kühnhackl to make it either. Not after he kept getting injured and his AHL career seemed to go nowhere. But once Hynes put him with Uher and Rowney a year ago everything came together for Kuhn. He re-invented himself as a defensive forward instead of taking his big slap shot and going home. He really meant it when he said at his draft that he'd do anything to get to the NHL. Congrats to him, and Wilson and Rust as well. :handclap:

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
According to nhlnumbers.com Sheary is still under contract for next season anyway.

I never expected Kühnhackl to make it either. Not after he kept getting injured and his AHL career seemed to go nowhere. But once Hynes put him with Uher and Rowney a year ago everything came together for Kuhn. He re-invented himself as a defensive forward instead of taking his big slap shot and going home. He really meant it when he said at his draft that he'd do anything to get to the DEL. Congrats to him, and Wilson and Rust as well. :handclap:

He just gets it. He's simplified his game. He loves that chip-and-chase play and getting the d-man to turn and using his legs. He sells out to block shots. He goes to the net and takes a beating but we've never once seen him retaliate. This gets thrown around a lot and it's rarely true, but he really has gotten incrementally better every game.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And to think Kuhn was probably close to as injury prone as Beau, but also almost fell off the radar, glad to see him turn it around so much. He doesn't do anything great or poorly, he's fairly competent all across the board. I know he has a solid shot, maybe we'll see it soon as the confidence continues to grow.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
According to nhlnumbers.com Sheary is still under contract for next season anyway.

He just gets it. He's simplified his game. He loves that chip-and-chase play and getting the d-man to turn and using his legs. He sells out to block shots. He goes to the net and takes a beating but we've never once seen him retaliate. This gets thrown around a lot and it's rarely true, but he really has gotten incrementally better every game.

Being willing to go there, and being able to keep your cool can't be understated. He's got the tools and the frame to be a great net front player. Hopefully he's working with PH on that.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

He's a very smart player too. Good head for the game. One of those guys a coach loves because he always makes smart plays out there and plays within himself.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Almost makes you feel a little bad for Sheary. Guy scores two goals to help beat the Rangers, and the other three WB/S guys get paid.

I'm not sure there's room for Wilson, Rust, Kuhnhackl AND Sheary on the team long term. Not with Sprong looming, Sundqvist deserving of a look and the hopeful replacement of Kunitz with a better top 6 wing.

There's plenty of room for forwards. Sundqvist should be replacing one of Bonino/Fehr next season. And if this organization is true to its word, they'll be looking to give Wilson more opportunity with Crosby.

Wilson-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-Fehr-Rust
Kuhn-Sundqvist-Sprong

Kunitz should go in the offseason. Bonino should as well unless he can step in for Malkin and help get Kessel going.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The emergence of these guys is also good reason to ****-can Donatelli and do a proper search for a head coach for the baby Pens. You have to take the head coaching position for your AHL team very seriously, because the difference between a good development coach and a mediocre one might be the difference between guys like Rust & Wilson being the players they are today or being the next Shane Endicott or Matt Murley.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Awesome deals, just think in 2 years when (if) they continue to develop as they have this year, those contracts are going to be steals, and will allow us alot of cap flexibility. Hopefully management uses it wisely.

As far as the players go, one thing in particular that continues to impress me when I've watched (I've missed several game lately) is that all 3 players are responsible. You rarely see them make mistakes, or give the puck away. Thats a testament to the smarts and work ethic these guys have. Hopefully their youthful energy is contagious (I'm looking at you Phil).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad