Confirmed with Link: Pens re-sign RFAs Rust ($640k), Wilson, Kuhnhackl ($625k) to 2-year deals

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
Kids being rewarded for great play. I hope that they can develop some sort of scoring touch in the future, but they are young and play the right way, right now.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Very nice and cheap. Even for what they are right now these deals are great. If these guys breakout the deals look amazing.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
All two-way, I'm assuming?

But good for them. They've earned it. Rust should be a bottom six fixture for a long time.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Actually a pay cut, in terms of NHL cap hit, for Wilson and Rust. Good stuff. Cheap bottom 6 next year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Okay so this is our bottom 6 as of now for next year:

Wilson-Bonino-Rust
Kuhnhackl-Fehr-xxx

Sheary, Simon, Sundqvist as possibilities for spots in bottom 6 as well. To me, the logical move is to move on from Bonino and re-sign Cullen if he's interested. Re-sign Beau to 1 more 1 year contract at 800K or so. That settles the bottom 6 along with some depth. I'd like more size, but that's probably not in the cards.

Then it just boils down to finding that 1 'anchor' at LW and dumping Kunitz.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
tumblr_o3wnzfFAvu1txyx4lo1_400.png

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
two of the three are definitely NHL players and the 3rd is probably an NHL player. These are the kinds of players who should have been allowed to fight for (and win) roster spots in the past. Happy to see it's happening now. if this core is going to have its window extended at all, they need these kinds of players to exist and contribute.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
two of the three are definitely NHL players and the 3rd is probably an NHL player. These are the kinds of players who should have been allowed to fight for (and win) roster spots in the past. Happy to see it's happening now. if this core is going to have its window extended at all, they need these kinds of players to exist and contribute.

i think about having this philosophy for bottom 6 with prior top 6s and defenses and it is maddening

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'd assume so.

I thought that Kuhnhackl's chances of being a NHL player at all were gone so he's exceeded my expectations already.

Ditto.

If these are all one-way deals I kinda worry about Kuhn...but the cap hit is so nominal that even if he falters it doesn't affect our cap situation if he has to be sent down, there'd just be no money saved (see: Zatkoff, Jeff).

Rust is clearly a NHLer at this point, and Wilson belongs as well. I'm not worried about their deals being 1-way or 2-way, their days in the AHL are likely numbered regardless.

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
I dunno what it was but I felt there was something about Kuhnhackl right from the minute he came up. I really like what he brings on the PK and as a shot blocker, and theres nothing wrong with having a German around

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Wow, talk about instant gratification. These three have proven they can hang at the NHL level and now they all get rewarded. Now we can fill out the bottom six with youth, energy, and speed, for under 2M total. The team wins, and the players win. Awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad