Post-Game Talk: Pens put out the flame with a beat down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Besides Brassard who sat early in the last period the rest of the forwards played between 13:59 and 16:54 minutes.

Letang got a rest playing his lowest minutes of the year at 23:11 lol

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
4EB5fy4.gif

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I have absolutely no idea what this post is...

Letang made a half dozen absolutely inexcusable horrible plays a game last season... he was a huge detriment. At his age its not unheard of for a player to “lose it” especially after a major surgery that absolutely can affect play style.

Concern about his play going forward was real and justified, so much so that thefront office actually thought about moving him....

Outside of the first period of play this season though he has thus far rebounded into what he was before the surgery.

That doesn’t mean anybody who called out his play last year was wrong...

Its a happy surprise that he has played this awesomely but its never assured to keep up...

Its a great thing that he is playing at this level... lets just all hope he stays healthy and playing well all season

Is joke comrade

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I have absolutely no idea what this post is...

Letang made a half dozen absolutely inexcusable horrible plays a game last season... he was a huge detriment. At his age its not unheard of for a player to “lose it” especially after a major surgery that absolutely can affect play style.

Concern about his play going forward was real and justified, so much so that thefront office actually thought about moving him....

Outside of the first period of play this season though he has thus far rebounded into what he was before the surgery.

That doesn’t mean anybody who called out his play last year was wrong...

Its a happy surprise that he has played this awesomely but its never assured to keep up...

Its a great thing that he is playing at this level... lets just all hope he stays healthy and playing well all season
t9j1OIe.gif

Reactions: The Shovel Penguin

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How did Ruhwedel play? He'll obviously dress versus the Canucks because Sully's likely not going to make changes after a blowout win, but did he play well enough to justify staying in over Riikola?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How did Ruhwedel play? He'll obviously dress versus the Canucks because Sully's likely not going to make changes after a blowout win, but did he play well enough to justify staying in over Riikola?
Had some really good pinches and what not, but there were times he hung out his partner to dry by wrong pinches and random passes. It could be some rust and he might be better in the 2nd game.

I'd like to see Ruh in the line-up and Riikola added back in and sit Maatta.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Had some really good pinches and what not, but there were times he hung out his partner to dry by wrong pinches and random passes. It could be some rust and he might be better in the 2nd game.

I'd like to see Ruh in the line-up and Riikola added back in and sit Maatta.

Judging by Olli's ice time tonight, they want and need him to be a steady middle pairing guy atm.

With JJ 5th in TOI tonight for D, i think they realise the best course of action is to try and get good Olli back on a nightly basis vs feeding alot of the tough matchups/ice time to one JJ. Rig can help in that too who has pretty good CF/FF%'s(with heavy DZStarts) vs the rest of the D.

Run Olli-Rig as your 2nd pair atm and run JJ-Ruh or Riiko as your true 3rd pair(getting the least minutes).

It was only one game tho so i'll keep tabs on the D's ice time moving forward.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Judging by Olli's ice time tonight, they want and need him to be a steady middle pairing guy atm.

With JJ 5th in TOI tonight for D, i think they realise the best course of action is to try and get good Olli back on a nightly basis vs feeding alot of the tough matchups/ice time to one JJ. Rig can help in that too who has pretty good CF/FF%'s(with heavy DZStarts) vs the rest of the D.

Run Olli-Rig as your 2nd pair atm and run JJ-Ruh or Riiko as your true 3rd pair(getting the least minutes).

It was only one game tho so i'll keep tabs on the D's ice time moving forward.

Here's an animated gif of Olli Maatta skating.

6aY42Sp.jpg

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Here's an animated gif of Olli Maatta skating.

6aY42Sp.jpg

I get it.
I totally do.
But if you're trying to sturdy your D behind Dumo-Tanger right now without splittling them up theres only so many avenues that may potentially work.

I have more trust in Olli figuring it out vs keep feeding JJ 20 or more minutes a night.
If Olli falters, i'd switch in Riiko and 2 of Olli/JJ/Ruh make your 3rd pair(minutes wise).

Nothing's gonna be perfect on the back end at the moment. Just trying to piece together something that can get the job done while not splitting up Dumo-Tang.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
++ Murr
++ Offense
++ Horny

I think I've figured out what it is about Jack Johnson I don't like. He doesn't know the difference between a good outlet and a bad outlet. If he has to skate the puck out, he's not bad. If he has to take someone out of the play, he's not bad. The problem is when he has the puck and there's an outlet he is too quick to take it, even if it puts them under more pressure than he was under. He'll put a puck into a guy covered by two defenders instead of holding onto it for an extra second. He can make a good play as long as it's the only available one, but he's not a good decision maker with the puck.

Reactions: Riptide and Andy99

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Hello guys! Just here wondering how grandpa Cullen is doing this season? And how was Grant in his first game? Thanks.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hello guys! Just here wondering how grandpa Cullen is doing this season? And how was Grant in his first game? Thanks.

Cullen lost his shit at the team for eating his hard candy and Grant is apparently larger than many thought, although size isn't everything one said, which prompted a "it's not the size, it's how you use it" as another response.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Cully's looked his age the first 5 games or so. Just hoping as the season rolls along, some of that '16-'17 guy is still there in him. I THINK it will be. He hasn't been absolutely awful either tho. Just sorta there, doing his thing on LW for the most part.

Grant. I'd say it was a decent game for him. 11 minutes played 50% at the dot and 2nd on the team in CF% at 55.56%. Also drew a penalty.
So he wasn't hurting you on the ice at all in those 11 mins.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
What a beatdown. Hope this isn't the last game we see like this...the Pens are a juggernaut on offense, and when the defense gets with the program they ought to be a tough team to contain.

Not sure what looked worse: Murray freezing on Neal's knuckle-puck or Giordano's "effort" in the corner on the last goal. I give Murray a pass; he was brilliant otherwise and whiffed shots can be tricky to follow.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Here's the scary thought.

Pens won 9-1.

The lines were still a mess and the chemistry with the lines is still a mess. The only well functioning lines we have is the Sheahan line and HBK.

This team has the chance to be an absolute beast that can rip through the league and the playoffs for their 3rd cup in 4yrs, but the brain trust can't seem to find the right mix and the GM needs to make it easier for them or a no brainer for them to put certain players together. 9-1 is great and the amazing feeling of that score has worn off for me already.

This team can just brutalize the league if it wanted to.

IF it stopped being their own worst enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad