Post-Game Talk: Pens put out the flame with a beat down

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The Crosby line with Brassard got caved in pretty good apparently. I'd keep the line together just to get Brassard going, but longterm, that line can't be outshot. It's too important with how Malkin/Kessel isn't a line I'd line up against the opposition's best.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Still early, but I'd say swapping out one of JJ/Oleksiak for Sheary makes this team better.

Unless Simon can step it up, we're in need of a LW. And when Brassard looked good last season, it was with Sheary pushing the pace and creating opportunities.

Sheary-Brass-PH could have been a hell of a line in retrospect.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I just don't know why some put down one player to elevate the other.

Simon is playing well. At least better than Sprong so far to date.

Simon’s played 2 more minutes a game with Rust and Brassard instead of Sheahan and Cullen. I’d like to see what would happen if their opportunities were reversed.

Reactions: Son Goku

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think Sheahan - Cullen - Hornqvist is an end game as well. With hope that Simon, Rust and Sprong can all be contributors in our top nine.

I’m enjoying seeing Brassard work with the top line but there is an annoying voice in the back of my head telling me it probably isn’t what’s best overall for the team.

We’ll see with the other three how things roll, but my boy seems destined to be the Rodney Dangerfield among Pens fans no matter what he does.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Simon’s played 2 more minutes a game with Rust and Brassard instead of Sheahan and Cullen. I’d like to see what would happen if their opportunities were reversed.

Before last night Rust/Brassard vs Sheahan/Cullen had produced the same amount.

Cullen/Sheahan have played better this season than Rust/Brassard too.

I don’t think it’d make much difference at all.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Before last night Rust/Brassard vs Sheahan/Cullen had produced the same amount.

Cullen/Sheahan have played better this season than Rust/Brassard too.

I don’t think it’d make much difference at all.

Rust and Brassard are clearly the better players. Usage matters.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It’s six players capable of 30 points?
Maybe, but if Brassard is 3C I think that gives us a decided advantage down the middle over 90% of opponents. I like strength down the middle. And as you said and I agree, Sheahan is more a low level 3C. But he's arguably one of the best 4C if Brassard takes third line pivot. Occasionally both can have elevated roles, injuries happen. But I'd like to harness our advantage at center as much as possible. If S-C-H is our 4th line, that's pretty good. Although I'm not thrilled about paying Horny five mil plus to be a 4th liner. But for the short term and if it's working, ride it out a bit.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Maybe, but if Brassard is 3C I think that gives us a decided advantage down the middle over 90% of opponents. I like strength down the middle. And as you said and I agree, Sheahan is more a low level 3C. But he's arguably one of the best 4C if Brassard takes third line pivot. Occasionally both can have elevated roles, injuries happen. But I'd like to harness our advantage at center as much as possible. If S-C-H is our 4th line, that's pretty good. Although I'm not thrilled about paying Horny five mil plus to be a 4th liner. But for the short term and if it's working, ride it out a bit.
With Brassard down the middle I don't think there's a team with a better group of centers. I agree with the point Jiggy mentioned above about Brassard maybe getting jump started with Crosby, but overall having him as your third line center is probably better for the team. I also don't have a problem with Horny where he's at (other than my constant annoyance that Sid doesn't want to play with him) because he's still going to get PP time, and really that "fourth" line should be getting plenty of ES minutes during the regular season.

Reactions: Ryder71

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We should moving toward the following because this will be a better setup for the POs...

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-G-Rust/Sprong
Simon/ZAR/Cullen-Brass-Kessel
Same-Cullen/Sheahan-Rust/Sprong/Simon

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Still early, but I'd say swapping out one of JJ/Oleksiak for Sheary makes this team better.

Unless Simon can step it up, we're in need of a LW. And when Brassard looked good last season, it was with Sheary pushing the pace and creating opportunities.

I'd dangle Maatta to land a very good LW, we need a speedy physical LW'er.

What are the chances the Rags would give us Kreider for Maatta + Sprong?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Why can't we just substitute Sheary for A. Johnson?

I'd say he is a similar version without all the falling down.

Wouldn't trade Maatta with our lack of D depth.

Right, they should be adding to it. That's my stance anyways.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
With Brassard down the middle I don't think there's a team with a better group of centers. I agree with the point Jiggy mentioned above about Brassard maybe getting jump started with Crosby, but overall having him as your third line center is probably better for the team. I also don't have a problem with Horny where he's at (other than my constant annoyance that Sid doesn't want to play with him) because he's still going to get PP time, and really that "fourth" line should be getting plenty of ES minutes during the regular season.
I don't think there is any question brass is better than Sheahan. but if we are looking at 3 balanced lines it means that kessel needs to move down. so it depends more on who fits best with phil, not who's best. so far that has been Sheahan. could brass be better? maybe but as yet we don't know.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It’s all about riding waves as long as you can because lines rarely stay together for the duration.

If any of these lines outside of HMK are together in April, I’ll be mildly surprised.

Also, have guys bounce around a little is beneficial in times when injuries do happen. Players can more easily move around when they do spend time together here and there.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Total dOmination and would have thought Letang would be at 1.38 p/gp after 8 games with a +7? :bow:

Crosby and Murray are officially back, Bravo teamO!:clap:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Also, have guys bounce around a little is beneficial in times when injuries do happen. Players can more easily move around when they do spend time together here and there.

I’d be interested to see what the lines where like the last few years to start the season, and what they ultimately started the playoffs with.

Would be pretty interesting to see how much the lines changed from start to finish.

If only I wasn’t so damn lazy and a true hero would emerge...

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I’d be interested to see what the lines where like the last few years to start the season, and what they ultimately started the playoffs with.

Would be pretty interesting to see how much the lines changed from start to finish.

If only I wasn’t so damn lazy and a true hero would emerge...

This would be hard to do just for the fact of adding Brassard and removal of Wilson and Sheary or just the subtractions.

We know Jake and Crosby were slow to start and Kessel/Malkin were doing fairly well, and then Jake, Sheahan, Kessel was really good for a small sample size. It's really jumbled up. FWIW.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Simon has had more than a few games now where he's had a boat load of terrible shifts and then a handful of decent ones. Yet the guy keeps getting chance after chance to show what he can do. It's asinine that the vocal group that thinks Sprong has gotten the same benefits, see that and then think it's been fair in that regard.

All I hear is "Well, Sullivan played him with Sid last year and then in the pre-season too..."

Are you f***ing kidding me? If that's not the dumbest shit for backing up the usage I have ever heard...

vWftF78.png

GyGSQGX.png

Daniel Sprong
OZ Starts: 31.3%
DZ Starts: 68.8%

Dominik Simon
OZ Starts: 34.1%
DZ Starts: 65.9%

One of these guys was drafted as an offensive weapon. The other, a depth winger.

What in the f***?

Last edited:
Reactions: Warm Cookies

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Simon has had more than a few games now where he's had a boat load of terrible shifts and then a handful of decent ones. Yet the guy keeps getting chance after chance to show what he can do. It's asinine that the vocal group that thinks Sprong has gotten the same benefits, see that and then think it's been fair in that regard.

All I hear is "Well, Sullivan played him with Sid last year and then in the pre-season too..."

Are you ****ing kidding me? If that's not the dumbest **** for backing up the usage I have ever heard...
Simon is lucky that he plays left wing. Sprong is unlucky that we have a bunch of right wings. Life's not fair.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Simon is lucky that he plays left wing. Sprong is unlucky that we have a bunch of right wings. Life's not fair.

Eh, that's a bad excuse especially when this team is struggling to find the right pairings and seems to only swap 2 right wingers back and forth as "changes" to the line-up to spark something.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Eh, that's a bad excuse especially when this team is struggling to find the right pairings and seems to only swap 2 right wingers back and forth as "changes" to the line-up to spark something.
how is that an excuse? The guy with less competition getting more chances isn't an excuse, it's a completely logical outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad