GDT: Pens Playoff Push: Hold on to your butts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
It wasn´t them winning all 3 of their games. It was ONE OF THEM them getting 2-0-1 in case we go 1-1-1. Just one of them. When Detroit plays MTL twice too.

To me, that´s not something "highly unlikely".
Yep. As you said ONE of those teams going 3-0 not surprising at all. Short sample size. Especially against unmotivated teams. Listen, we blew it. But going 1-1-1 was never an option. And going 2-1-0 likely won't be enough either.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Honestly the Penguins do suck and don't deserve to make the playoffs, it's just that the league has really bad parity right now and a 90 point team can actually make the playoffs this year. You have to go back to 2018-2019 with the Avs to find another team that made the playoffs with 90 points. Before that, it was 2015-2016 with the Wild finishing with 87 points and making the playoffs.

In a normal year, the WC2 team is sitting with 95-98 points or so and the Penguins would have been eliminated for weeks.
I don't want Pens to make the playoffs, they have had so many chances to win games but they choke so often...imagine watching several games where we choke IN THE PLAYOFFS! when you constantly pull off what we do, you can go f*** yourselves as an entire team. YOU'RE PROFESSIONALS for crying out loud.

The only one that I feel sorry for is Crosby.

Very good chance that an amazing season and historic effort is wasted.
He deserves better.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only one that I feel sorry for is Crosby.

Very good chance that an amazing season and historic effort is wasted.

I agree that I feel bad for Crosby, but this seems to be an exaggeration. He has 42 goals and 92 points in 81 games this year. The leading scorer in the NHL has 142 points right now.

Crosby's just one of the only guys on this lifeless team that actually shows any sign of life.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ovechkin had a better season at his age no?

I'd probably take Crosby's by a bit but it's close enough to have a legitimate discussion. My whole argument would be about 5v5 production, Ovi had 24 goals and 48 points at 5v5 in 2021-2022 while Crosby has 23 goals and 57 points (with only 10 secondary assists) at 5v5 this year.

But yeah, the difference is pretty marginal. Both guys had great 36 year old seasons, it's just that "great 36 year old seasons" are far below what the actual top players are doing in the league today.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Although looking at these MoneyPuck odds, I'm not sure where their numbers are being calculated from. It gives the Capitals a 0% chance at making the playoffs if they lose to the Flyers, but that's just an untrue statement. They make the playoffs if all 3 teams lose their last game, which is unlikely but not impossible.

Either way, it just is a wait and see at this point. The Penguins need help regardless and there's only a bit better than a quarter chance that they get that help.
If they lose in regulation they are out. Flyers would hold the tie breaker and be ahead of them.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'll predict this.

Flyers beat Caps in OT.
Wings beat Habs in regulation.
Pens beat Isles in OT.

Wings make it.

Pens finish 15th OA

Feel bad for Blues though. They wont make the playoffs and a team below them in the standings make the playoffs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just realized there is a hilarious scenario where all of the Penguins, Capitals and Wings miss the playoffs.

-Flyers beat the Caps in regulation
-Penguins and Wings both lose in regulation

This has the Flyers and Capitals both at 89 points with 39 wins, 35 ROW and 31 RW. That goes into the fourth tiebreaker, which is head to head matchups. They'd win that by having 4 points (2-1) to Washington's 3 points (1-1-1) head to head.

If they lose in regulation they are out. Flyers would hold the tie breaker and be ahead of them.

Yeah that explains it, I just realized the Flyers have the tiebreaker on the Capitals.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Setting yourself up for a scenario where you can afford to lose like two games during a 12-game stretch is not a recipe for success. The season was probably already lost in January when they were in a good spot but decided to play .500 hockey for the next two months.

They could’ve just stepped up for once against the Bruins. But nope.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I agree that I feel bad for Crosby, but this seems to be an exaggeration. He has 42 goals and 92 points in 81 games this year. The leading scorer in the NHL has 142 points right now.

Crosby's just one of the only guys on this lifeless team that actually shows any sign of life.
He’s still 14th in points as a 36 year old. It was a really good season by him regardless of what the top 5 or so are producing. He’s probably top 10 with a decent PP.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I'd probably take Crosby's by a bit but it's close enough to have a legitimate discussion. My whole argument would be about 5v5 production, Ovi had 24 goals and 48 points at 5v5 in 2021-2022 while Crosby has 23 goals and 57 points (with only 10 secondary assists) at 5v5 this year.

But yeah, the difference is pretty marginal. Both guys had great 36 year old seasons, it's just that "great 36 year old seasons" are far below what the actual top players are doing in the league today.
Crosby has more points. And is just a much better all around player. Not to mention 58% in the dot. Leads the league in faceoff wins. More ev points. Gotta be Sid

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He’s still 14th in points as a 36 year old. It was a really good season by him regardless of what the top 5 or so are producing. He’s probably top 10 with a decent PP.

Yeah I didn't mean that to say that Crosby isn't having a great year, he's absolutely having a great year. I just think "historic effort" is a huge exaggeration.

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
Boston had 8 shots after 2 periods tonight. They came in the Burgh really hard to not show up the entire game against the Craps?!?!

Is Philly really playing for something tomorrow against them? If they win in regulation, i think they have the 5th tie breaker over the Craps... This is crazy.

Reactions: Lustaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad