GDT: Pens Playoff Push: Hold on to your butts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Man I CAN'T WAIT for this teams season to be over, what a disaster...last game on Wednesday. And yes I know we have a chance but we never get help and even if we did, we would choke it away.

Sullivan: Ok boys, win this game you're up 5-1 in the 3rd, Caps are out and Wings are losing.

Islanders will score 5 goals in the 3rd period and we have 1 shot on net and lose with 1 second remaining. It's the Penguins way.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lots of people here going to be weirdly happy to dunk on others merely speculating on chances of getting in. Weird stuff.

Yeah it's bizarre. The "1-1-1 probably gets them in" meant that it was most likely that both the Wings and Capitals would go 2-1 or worse in their remaining 3 games. No one ever said it was impossible that they would win out, just that it was unlikely. The Wings and Capitals both going 3-0 to finish the year would be shocking, especially with how they were playing before.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Pastarnak was brilliant vs the Pens and passed the puck to his own goaltender vs the Caps, that was the difference, that dude really mailed it in tonight.

• Haha
Reactions: Wings4Life

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Do you not understand how probability works?

God some people on this site are as dumb as absolute bricks.
Well, I do understand that. I actually studied statistics at university, getting a degree there. Unfortunately, you were the one that didn´t understand how probability works when claiming that 1-1-1 gets us FIRMLY in.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Capitals make it with any sort of W

Red Wings make it with a win + Caps L (in any way)

Penguins make it with a W and losses by both the Caps and Red Wings

Flyers make it with a regulation W against the caps and regulation losses by the Pens and Red Wings.

The Flyers scenario actually has the tiebreaker between them and the Caps where the Flyers win it with more points in head to head matches.

I believe I captured all scenarios.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well, I do understand that. I actually studied statistics at university, getting a degree there. Unfortunately, you were the one that didn´t understand how probability works when claiming that 1-1-1 gets us FIRMLY in.

I seriously doubt that.

You're picking such a stupid battle to fight over. The Wings and Capitals were unlikely to get more than 4 points in their remaining 3 games, so that meant the Penguins only needed to get 3 points. Getting 3 points would likely be enough in most situations. It just might not be enough in this exact situation.

For someone who "studied statistics at university", I would think that you would know that unlikely things can happen. One of the Capitals or Wings winning all 3 of their games, let alone both, was unlikely.

Reactions: Invalid cuz QoC

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Wings would’ve been done had we beaten in regulation, lost in OT vs the Leafs or lost in any fashion tonight. Kind of hope the Caps get in over them if it’s not us. Horseshoe up their ass.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Wings would’ve been done had we beaten in regulation, lost in OT vs the Leafs or lost in any fashion tonight. Kind of hope the Caps get in over them if it’s not us. Horseshoe up their ass.

I´d take Detroit in the playoffs any day over the f***bag Ovi and his scum pal Wilson and its not even close!

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I seriously doubt that.

You're picking such a stupid battle to fight over. The Wings and Capitals were unlikely to get more than 4 points in their remaining 3 games, so that meant the Penguins only needed to get 3 points. Getting 3 points would likely be enough in most situations. It just might not be enough in this exact situation.

For someone who "studied statistics at university", I would think that you would know that unlikely things can happen. One of the Capitals or Wings winning all 3 of their games, let alone both, was unlikely.
It wasn´t them winning all 3 of their games. It was ONE OF THEM them getting 2-0-1 in case we go 1-1-1. Just one of them. When Detroit plays MTL twice too.

To me, that´s not something "highly unlikely".

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nah it was just a crazy thing to say at the time.

How was it a crazy thing to say? The Penguins had a point in hand on the Wings and Capitals with 3 games left. The Capitals and Wings were probably not going to go 3-0 in their remaining 3 games, so the Penguins probably needed 3 or 4 points in their remaining 3 games to make the playoffs with having the tiebreaker advantage.

This whole thing sounds like someone who would say "don't trust the weather channel" because it said there was a 30% chance of rain today but it ended up raining.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Needed to win out. Can't expect these teams to lose in the final couple games. They're desperate and playing against non desperate teams.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
That said, I definitely agree that Caps winning all three games looked unlikely to me as well. But Tampa and Boston clearly gifted it to them, so it´s probably not that shocking. Detroit winning all three after we saw how invested they were against us shouldn´t come as a surprise to anyone.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Good thing with me is that I am not a massive hockey fan and only watch Penguins games. So if I see the Wings or Caps win tomorrow, it will be the last hockey game I watch until next season.

I will of course lurk here and wait for July 1st but beyond that…

Cheer for the Buccos until they collapse, NFL draft next weekend and then my true love the Steelers.

Reactions: BrookswasHere44

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Hopefully someone from the west ultimately wins but until then

Go Guentzel and the Hurricanes. Make it to the Stanley Cup finals

Reactions: Andy99

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
How was it a crazy thing to say? The Penguins had a point in hand on the Wings and Capitals with 3 games left. The Capitals and Wings were probably not going to go 3-0 in their remaining 3 games, so the Penguins probably needed 3 or 4 points in their remaining 3 games to make the playoffs with having the tiebreaker advantage.

This whole thing sounds like someone who would say "don't trust the weather channel" because it said there was a 30% chance of rain today but it ended up raining.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
That said, I definitely agree that Caps winning all three games looked unlikely to me as well. But Tampa and Boston clearly gifted it to them, so it´s probably not that shocking. Detroit winning all three after we saw how invested they were against us shouldn´t come as a surprise to anyone.
The last 3 games went to OT and they won 2, but the one they lost was their biggest point,

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Who has the best chance to beat the Rangers among the remaining teams?

I think the Penguins do, at least in terms of them usually giving Shesterkin the most fits.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Honestly if it is not us the Wings with Kane against the Rangers could be interesting. The Isles vs Canes sounds vanilla bland berry.

At least we know if we have a chance within 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad