Pens playoff Defense, who sits?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I'm rooting for Cole to somehow stay in the lineup because I think he'd revitalize his career by playing as much as he can. I've liked what I've seen of him so far and I can see him improving as he gets comfortable.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It's good you worry about the one thing that is least likely to cost them a playoff series, but feel free to pull your hair out over it.

I'll stick to the fact that Letang, Martin and Lovejoy all had outstanding playoff runs last season, while also keeping in mind the Hawks "soft" defense had no trouble with the Bruins forecheck on their way to their second cup.

I'll take puck moving mobility over size all series long.

People love to throw out Chicago as an example of a "soff" team that wins. But the Pens are nowhere near as talented player per player as Chicago, and it's not even close. The few times I watch Chicago I am come away impressed with their skating, passing and balance. Every line seems like they serve a purpose and their Defense seems much more solid than the Penz..

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If we added more size on defense, we'd be complaining about our lack of mobility.

The fact our bottom six doesn't score is significantly more problematic for us.

It seems everyone's PP outside of an Ovy shot isn't very good right now. It is what it is with this league. Teams defend the middle of the ice too well. I just hope our stars recognize come crunch time that they need to go for shot volume and let Hornqvist screen and clean up. Play the odds.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
People love to throw out Chicago as an example of a "soff" team that wins. But the Pens are nowhere near as talented player per player as Chicago, and it's not even close. The few times I watch Chicago I am come away impressed with their skating, passing and balance. Every line seems like they serve a purpose and their Defense seems much more solid than the Penz..

Because they are a soft team, that has schooled the supposedly "bigger and badder" teams.

Chicago has more depth up front than the Pens, which is why they have been so successful. So once again, the reasons I'm concerned with the Pens heading into the playoffs are right in line with that.

Anyone worrying about the defense is basing that on nothing but things they have made up in their heads. Three of the Pens top four guys had top notch performances last season during the playoffs.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Because Scuderi is still a solid 3rd pairing dman, even with his deficiencies. Adams is a much worse player, relative to his role on this team.

I agree with you that Scuderi is still a solid 3rd pair def.

It sounds like Ehrhoff is going to be back this weekend, they can't just bench Cole for the rest of the year.

MJ needs to see what he has in Cole, and Cole needs to play to get used to the pens players and system.

I'd be shocked if Cole sat out for the rest of the regular season, he needs to play in games.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I imagine that Ehrhoff coming back means that Cole and Pouliot will alternate as scratches for a while until they ultimately make Cole the odd man out. Maybe Scuderi will sit for a couple of games here and there for rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad