Pens playoff Defense, who sits?

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Let's be honest folks, while Scuderi ain't worth his contract most of the time, he did improve from last season but hey... keep on hammerin'! :yo:

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Pouliot and Lovejoy simply works. They can't **** with that.

Scuderi is overrated - in every sense of the word - in what he does, particularly on the PK. This team's killed penalties very well for years with and without him.

Even if he was an elite defender without the puck, it doesn't make up for how he completely butchers the team's transition game, as well as how laughably bad he is in the offensive zone. It's comical how the opposition refuses to even acknowledge he's on the ice when the Pens are cycling.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
DP has to sit. He isn't ready for the POs.

And Cole boasting his whopping two playoff games under his belt is clearly more ready?

Pouliot and Lovejoy simply works. They can't **** with that.

Scuderi is overrated - in every sense of the word - in what he does, particularly on the PK. This team's killed penalties very well for years with and without him.

Even if he was an elite defender without the puck, it doesn't make up for how he completely butchers the team's transition game, as well as how laughably bad he is in the offensive zone. It's comical how the opposition refuses to even acknowledge he's on the ice when the Pens are cycling.

The best part of all, is that people wonder why Scuds always "gets great chances".

Big mystery...

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The best part of all, is that people wonder why Scuds always "gets great chances".

Big mystery...

Because the other teams respect his veteran leadership and experience so much?

Scuderi always being open and everyone passing to him is funny at this point, he's always got so much ****ing space in the offensive zone and it's still a mistake to give the puck to him. I wonder how many of them regret it after the fact, tbh. They're practically being tricked.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Because the other teams respect his veteran leadership and experience so much?

Scuderi always being open and everyone passing to him is funny at this point, he's always got so much ****ing space in the offensive zone and it's still a mistake to give the puck to him. I wonder how many of them regret it after the fact, tbh. They're practically being tricked.

So... What you're saying is that he's somekind of turnover/giveaway magnet?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
IF everyone gets and stays healthy, it will be Cole unless Pouliot takes a nosedive. With how fast and aggressive teams like the Isles are though, it should scare the **** out of Johnston to play Scuderi. Maybe it will scare him enough to do the unthinkable and scratch him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm betting Cole. But one slip up and Pouliot will sit. I think his leash will be incredibly short in the playoffs. For better or worse.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm betting Cole. But one slip up and Pouliot will sit. I think his leash will be incredibly short in the playoffs. For better or worse.

i think the opposite. I've seen a lot of people say this. Pouliot is the Golden Boy. The Chosen One. He's Neo, if Neo's last name were Johnston. He's Mike Johnston's son. He's the teacher's pet. He played for the coach in junior and the coach loves him and will do anything for him.

I hope I've been subtle, yet forthcoming enough that you catch my drift

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
i think the opposite. I've seen a lot of people say this. Pouliot is the Golden Boy. The Chosen One. He's Neo, if Neo's last name were Johnston. He's Mike Johnston's son. He's the teacher's pet. He played for the coach in junior and the coach loves him and will do anything for him.

That's about the only way a young guy will get a chance to develop in this org, so I'm cool with it.

Better than being Crosby's buddy and not earning your rewards.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

So you're saying you love Neopets?

I think the deadline moves were pretty much linked to the roster spots of the players shipped out. If Ehrhoff were available, Bortuzzo would've sat. So Cole is the 7th.

Pouliot would have to actively implode to get benched.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Cole is clearly the guy that will sit, imo. It's possible he'd get back in if Pouliot struggles.

It won't happen but we'd have a very mobile D if they sat Scuds.

Martin Letang
Pouliot Lovejoy
Ehrhoff Cole

You could flip flop Pouliot and Ehrhoff in the lineup if you wanted more experience in the top 4, but whatever, it's still a very mobile group either way.

It would kind of be what Dejan was talking about post traded deadline where he spoke of icing a defense that maybe isn't the most physical but can really skate and move the puck. Of course the article didn't make a ton of sense since Despres could skate too but that's another argument for another time.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Cole is clearly the guy that will sit, imo. It's possible he'd get back in if Pouliot struggles.

It won't happen but we'd have a very mobile D if they sat Scuds.

Martin Letang
Pouliot Lovejoy
Ehrhoff Cole

You could flip flop Pouliot and Ehrhoff in the lineup if you wanted more experience in the top 4, but whatever, it's still a very mobile group either way.

It would kind of be what Dejan was talking about post traded deadline where he spoke of icing a defense that maybe isn't the most physical but can really skate and move the puck. Of course the article didn't make a ton of sense since Despres could skate too but that's another argument for another time.

Man we lack severe size/strength on defense though :laugh: In the clutch/grab world, we are putting that defense out there. Yikes.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm not worried about the defense. Moving the puck well is still the most important part.

I'm a lot more worried about our size and speed up front. They'll be the ones who have to fight through the interference.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
I think it will be Cole. As much as I want Scuderi off this team he's actually been good lately(not just good for Scuderi either).

I also think the world might be ending because he is skating really well lately too.

Last edited:

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The hard part is that someone is playing out of position, and it hasn't looked like Cole OR Pouliot is that comfortable on the right. Pou's looked way better on the left and I wonder if Cole would be heaps better there too, the same way that Niskanen improved infinitely when he moved back over to the right. Unfortunately Scuds getting his seniority position on the left is guaranteed and he's not great on the right either. The one guy I think looks more comfortable on the right is Ehrhoff. So:

Martin - Letang
Pouliot (Cole) - Lovejoy
Scuderi - Ehrhoff
Cole (Pou)

Not sure if Pouliot or Lovejoy are capable of carrying Scuds through the playoffs so that's what I'd go with given the roster. A true first pairing plus two good tweener pairings and everyone gets special teams time.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Cole is our strongest defenseman,which is sad.Hopefully it's not him.Scuderi-Cole has been decent so far(Not only Despres can make Scuds look good.).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Cole is our strongest defenseman,which is sad.Hopefully it's not him.Scuderi-Cole has been decent so far(Not only Despres can make Scuds look good.).

How is that sad? That kid is built like a tank. Such an asinine statement about someone you clearly know nothing about, Mr Snow.

Penguinzilla*

Probably Cole. My gut tells me it should be Pouliot, he could easily be overwhelmed in the playoffs. I'd be OK with him being scratched because, realistically, he could easily be overwhelmed in the playoffs. I know I used that phrase twice but I couldn't think of anything else

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Let's be honest folks, while Scuderi ain't worth his contract most of the time, he did improve from last season but hey... keep on hammerin'! :yo:

Was it really hard for him to improve from last season, even in the least bit, considering he couldn't get much worse?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad