Pens playoff Defense, who sits?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
As expected, Coach Mike Johnston thinks and speaks very highy of Derrick Pouliot, and has even gone as far as calling Pouliot a playoff player.

So the next question is this: (Assuming Ehrhoff is healthy) If Derrick Pouliot is given a playoff spot, who sits?

If you would have asked me two months ago who sits in the playoffs, I'd say Pouliot, citing his inexperience. However he has already blossomed into a true NHL defenseman with his instincts, poise, and ability to inject himself in the offense without sacrificing too much defense. I'm thinking that maybe Lovejoy is the guy who gets bumped from the lineup to start the playoffs. What do you guys think?

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
It´s probably going to be Ian Cole, even though I like him so far. Scuderi is a lock there and so is Lovejoy, imo. Our defense is still solid, no matter who sits.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I don't know why people put stock into MJ's quotes about players. He talks out of both sides of his mouth, like most bosses. What is he supposed to say if asked if DP is a playoff player? He wants to keep his confidence up. I'm not saying he won't play in the playoffs but it's not a certainty.

Pouliot was great in the playoffs last year, maybe he's a big game performer. Certainly could help having another player from the back end able to make a skilled play with the puck other than Letang.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
It will be Cole is Erhoff comes back and is able to be effective. I'm not sure he's coming back at all though, to be honest. I don't expect him to see a game until maybe the last week or two of the regular season to try it out. No way they let him come in cold into the playoffs with concussion symptoms.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I can't see MJ benching any one particular def for the rest of the year.

I think it will be a rotation between Scuderi and Cole, kind of what MJ is doing now with Downie and Adams.

Adding Lovejoy to the mix gives MJ 4 def who can eat up big minutes on the PK without Scuderi.

Martin
Letang
Lovejoy
Ehrhoff

And MJ is even starting to sprinkle in DP on the PK.

But who even knows when Ehrhoff is going to be back, hes been out a long time.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I can't see MJ benching any one particular def for the rest of the year.

I think it will be a rotation between Scuderi and Cole, kind of what MJ is doing now with Downie and Adams.

Adding Lovejoy to the mix gives MJ 4 def who can eat up big minutes on the PK without Scuderi.

Martin
Letang
Lovejoy
Ehrhoff

And MJ is even starting to sprinkle in DP on the PK.

But who even knows when Ehrhoff is going to be back, hes been out a long time.

Do you really believe MJ will sit Scuderi in a rotation like with Adams?

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I honestly don't know why they choose to play Scuds every game.. he's getting up there in age and if you want him to play at his best (which already isn't very good) in the post season why not give him a rest here and there? we have the guys who can step up and fill in for him.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
I'm fairly certain the hockey gods will decide who plays. I can't imagine there won't be injuries. Unfortunately the hockey gods like to sit our best players.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
As expected, Coach Mike Johnston thinks and speaks very highy of Derrick Pouliot, and has even gone as far as calling Pouliot a playoff player.

So the next question is this: (Assuming Ehrhoff is healthy) If Derrick Pouliot is given a playoff spot, who sits?

If you would have asked me two months ago who sits in the playoffs, I'd say Pouliot, citing his inexperience. However he has already blossomed into a true NHL defenseman with his instincts, poise, and ability to inject himself in the offense without sacrificing too much defense. I'm thinking that maybe Lovejoy is the guy who gets bumped from the lineup to start the playoffs. What do you guys think?

The Reverend stays! Not only is he stable & reliable but he brings the best outta Pouliot when they're paired. I'd say Cole but really, it's nice to have depth!

Maybe Cole could rotate with whoever happens to suck?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I imagine we'd see
Letang-Martin
Ehrhoff-Lovejoy
Scuderi-Pouliot

Maybe Lovejoy and Pouliot would be switched. Though i wouldn't be shocked if Ehrhoff were done for the season, either. If that's the case i guess they'd call up Chorney to be the 7D and use the pairs they've been rolling.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Cole. Scuderi won't be scratched and Pouliot is Johnston's guy who's looking amazing, and everyone else isn't even in the discussion (not that Scuderi is). That's assuming everyone is healthy and we all know what team this is. Where Ehrhoff would be if he comes back could be interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad