Pre-Game Talk: PENS @ MTL, Sat. Nov. 12th, 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Not this season and probably not the next one either. Habs only have 3 goalies signed who can play in the NHL.
Also, the whole point of not having trash goaltending is to isolate the rookies dmen and no throw Primeau (or other prospects) at a level he's not ready for.
Also, Allen isn't doing miracles despite what some posters are saying. His statistically at the same level as his last few seasons. The real improvement is the defenders blocking lots and lots more shots.
The main difference is Montembeault. Our P% under Allen is 0.444 which would be good for the 26th position. Our P% under Montembeault is 0.700 which would be good for the 5th position. Montembault has the 6th best saves % among goalies who played a minimum of 5 games. The 5 guys with a better saves % than him all have a clear winning record. Out of his 3 wins i'd say he played a major role in at least two of them. Don't think we win the Buffalo game with Allen in net.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Not this season and probably not the next one either. Habs only have 3 goalies signed who can play in the NHL.

Also, the whole point of not having trash goaltending is to isolate the rookies dmen and no throw Primeau (or other prospects) at a level he's not ready for.

Also, Allen isn't doing miracles despite what some posters are saying. His statistically at the same level as his last few seasons. The real improvement is the defenders blocking lots and lots more shots.
Savard is like a giant marshmallow that absorbs rubber.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Barron has good upside and needs time. Every prospect develops at different rates.
Oh I agree he has some upside but I'm not sold on him cutting it here in Montreal. I admit I've only watched one game so far in Laval but I came out less than impressed. He seems to have regressed since last season but it could simply be we were that bad and made him look better than he is. I wouldn't mind a re-roll. :laugh:

Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Once Slaf is back I want to see:

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach
Hoffman - Dvorak - Gallagher
Salfkovsky - Monahan - Anderson
Pezzeta/Drouin - Evans - Armia

2nd and 3rd line with similar ice-time, obviously, maybe even more for 3rd line if gods are good
This needs to happen like three or four games ago. The minute Dach swapped out for Monahan to be exact. Marty is bound and detrmined to get Drouin going but at one point he's going to have to let go of his stubborness.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Oh I agree he has some upside but I'm not sold on him cutting it here in Montreal. I admit I've only watched one game so far in Laval but I came out less than impressed. He seems to have regressed since last season but it could simply be we were that bad and made him look better than he is. I wouldn't mind a re-roll. :laugh:
Important to note that we acquired Barron for Lehkonen. I mean i like Lehkonen but he was a 20 points guys with us outside of a small sample size with MSL. Yeah Lehkonen has been doing better with the Avs but teams wont pay you for what a player might accomplish with them they'll pay you for what a player did with you specially when the player is in his prime. I mean 26 years old 28 something points players rarely return something great. The 2024 2nd round pick will be valuable. We might be able to start competing in 2023-2024 and another 2nd round pick at the deadline might be useful. You don't get top prospects for a guy like Lehkonen (what he was with us).

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Important to note that we acquired Barron for Lehkonen. I mean i like Lehkonen but he was a 20 points guys with us outside of a small sample size with MSL. Yeah Lehkonen has been doing better with the Avs but teams wont pay you for what a player might accomplish with them they'll pay you for what a player did with you specially when the player is in his prime. I mean 26 years old 28 something points players rarely return something great. The 2024 2nd round pick will be valuable. We might be able to start competing in 2023-2024 and another 2nd round pick at the deadline might be useful. You don't get top prospects for a guy like Lehkonen (what he was with us).
Lehkonen was money in the bank. Great vet, great work ethic, clutch player when it counted most. Teams DO NOT win Stanley Cups without players like Lehk and Eller when we had him. His value went far beyond statistics and it would be a crime not to recognize the details IMO.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Lehkonen was money in the bank. Great vet, great work ethic, clutch player when it counted most. Teams DO NOT win Stanley Cups without players like Lehk and Eller when we had him. His value went far beyond statistics and it would be a crime not to recognize the details IMO.
Historically players like Eller and Lehkonen in their prime don't return much. Eller returned two 2nd round picks which i would say hold less value than Barron and a 2nd round pick. Barron and a 2nd round pick is not bad value at all imo. My point is mostly what were people expecting as a return? A top 10 prospect? I honestly don't see the problem with what we got in return of Lehkonen. I got more problem with what we paid for Dvorak ;)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Historically players like Eller and Lehkonen in their prime don't return much. Eller returned two 2nd round picks which i would say hold less value than Barron and a 2nd round pick. Barron and a 2nd round pick is not bad value at all imo. My point is mostly what were people expecting as a return? A top 10 prospect? I honestly don't see the problem with what we got in return of ELehkonen. I got more problem with what we paid for Dvorak ;)
I would have rather kept him and Eller if truth be told. So on that level the return doesn't satisfy me.

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

True, you want goaltending to support the young D.

But som etimes it's the other way around; good D make a goaltender look good. Linus Ulmark is all of a sudden a star playing in Boston as opposed to god awful Buffalo.

Guhle and Harris actually make our defense better than trash Petry.
if i were colorado, i would have kept Kadri instead of players like Lehkonen.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

But som etimes it's the other way around; good D make a goaltender look good. Linus Ulmark is all of a sudden a star playing in Boston as opposed to god awful Buffalo.

if i were colorado, i would have kept Kadri instead of players like Lehkonen.

That is a whole 'nother issue.

Reactions: 26Mats

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Pens play Toronto Friday, so we should have our legs.

The habs will be playing their 3rd game in 4 nights so I'm not sure if this will be an advantage. Although, Pittsburgh is the oldest the oldest team in the league.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lines and pairings at practice. Gallagher absent due to therapy day.

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach
Hoffman - Dvorak - Anderson
Dadonov - Monahan - Drouin
Pezzetta - Evans - Armia

Guhle - Savard
Xhekaj - Edmundson
Harris - Kovacevic

Allen likely starter.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Projected lines and pairings:

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach
Hoffman - Dvorak - Anderson
Dadonov - Monahan - Drouin
Pezzetta - Evans - Armia

Guhle - Savard
Xhekaj - Edmundson
Harris - Kovacevic

Allen likely starter.

Is Gallagher out? Or was it just a therapy day?

Reactions: Runner77

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Cole on his way to becoming the next GSP? :sarcasm:

I would usually find this funny, but he hasn't scored in 2 games.
HRI7zad.png

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wouldn’t. Hoffman is the only player on the team that seems to understand what Gallagher is doing. There’s some mysterious synergy going on.
As per Guy Boucher, who coached Hoffman on two teams, a guy who digs out pucks and works the boards is exactly what Hoffman needs as he won’t do those jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad