Post-Game Talk: Pens loss to Florida: Try putting Jarry on the PP next game

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'd consider that doing nothing.

If my house is on fire and I'm running around trying to put it out using a coffee cup full of water instead of calling 9-1-1, I'm not doing anything to solve the ACTUAL problem.
Well yeah but the comparison was to Hextall who with his house on fire just sat in a chair and stared into the flames until the house burned down.

Dubas by comparison is at least trying to water the plants, as you say.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I'd consider that doing nothing.

If my house is on fire and I'm running around trying to put it out using a coffee cup full of water instead of calling 9-1-1, I'm not doing anything to solve the ACTUAL problem.
Speaking of coffee and mismanagement... this could just as easily be a look inside the PFO.

Last edited:
Reactions: SEALBound

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think there's any indication that's coming any time soon, no matter how much people want to hope and pray for it.
Then he’s a failure of a GM…can’t make a trade that’s going to really help at this point so firing the coach is the only impactful move…

Well yeah but the comparison was to Hextall who with his house on fire just sat in a chair and stared into the flames until the house burned down.

Dubas by comparison is at least trying to water the plants, as you say.
is that like calling up Johnstone from Wilkes? Lol

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
I feel its pretty certain the Pens will never fire Sully. I guess missing the playoffs and ruining the last years of Sid is worth it the them. I wonder if at this point which team will make the playoffs next, the Pens or Pirates.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It’s pretty wild that our season is essentially already over from a playoffs stand point.
I mean most other teams in the East are much stronger… that’s why I dont understand why, after going all in w EK and all of his pronouncements this summer, Dubas wouldn’t be willing to fire Sullivan

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We've seen teams go from dogshit to making the playoffs pretty often recently. I'm not sold this team's eliminated yet, but I wouldn't care either way. I still hope they miss by a mile, because barely making/missing is probably enough to keep things going the way they've been.

Two home playoff games doesn't excite me enough for this garbage. Just nuke the coaching staff and if/when they still suck approaching the deadline, tear it down and sell Jake/Rust/Rakell/Smith for a haul. Move Karlsson in the off-season, whatever.

Reactions: farscape1

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
We've seen teams go from dogshit to making the playoffs pretty often recently. I'm not sold this team's eliminated yet, but I wouldn't care either way. I still hope they miss by a mile, because barely making/missing is probably enough to keep things going the way they've been.

Two home playoff games doesn't excite me enough for this garbage. Just nuke the coaching staff and if/when they still suck approaching the deadline, tear it down and sell Jake/Rust/Rakell/Smith for a haul. Move Karlsson in the off-season, whatever.
Rust will be near impossible to move with that NMC unless he wants to go. As does EK's.
And unfortunately, Rakell's, Smith's and Jarry's cap hits and 8, 10 and 12 team no trade lists are going to damper any return on them.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Rust will be near impossible to move with that NMC unless he wants to go. As does EK's.
And unfortunately, Rakell's, Smith's and Jarry's cap hits and 8, 10 and 12 team no trade lists are going to damper any return on them.
Retaining on Jake, Rust, and EK if/when this season's in the dumpster gets you multiple 1sts and good prospects imo.

This team can absolutely recoup assets and try to ease the post-Sid phase. They just won't because they're too attached to the era that's been dead since 2020.

Reactions: farscape1

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Retaining on Jake, Rust, and EK if/when this season's in the dumpster gets you multiple 1sts and good prospects imo.

This team can absolutely recoup assets and try to ease the post-Sid phase. They just won't because they're too attached to the era that's been dead since 2020.
Again, Rust and EK have NMCs. They don't leave unless they want to afaik. I dont believe the NMCs expire yet.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Again, Rust and EK have NMCs. They don't leave unless they want to afaik. I dont believe the NMCs expire yet.
I mean, if the team's spiraling and missing the playoffs consecutively, I don't see why people wouldn't waive for a better shot elsewhere. I realize how stupid this team's been with NTCs. They're about to do it again with Jake the rider of coattails.

Reactions: Ulf5

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I hear that.
Now that I'm thinking about it, there's zero chance they blow it up til next season at the earliest. Sid has 1 more year on his contract. And there's no chance in hell he goes to another team as set in his routines and as loyal as he is.
Dubas will never dump the only talents the team has left if next season were to be Sid's last.
Now if Dubas can swap out a few of the heftier contracts for different pieces that can help now? It's possible.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I'm tired of coaches who try to shoehorn their strongest traits as a player into the lineups of the teams they coach.

Sully was a defensive 4C who was a great on the draw and on the penalty kill. Sound familiar? Also, in 11 NHL seasons, his most productive goal-scoring campaigns saw him tally 9, 8, and 6 goals. What was that about "playing the right way"?

Bylsma was almost identical. Defensive winger who killed penalties and fell in love with younger versions of himself in Adams and Glass.

Then there's Todd Reirden who coaches the power play exactly how you'd expect a slow-moving defensive defenseman to coach a power play.
So what you’re trying to say is it’s time for Mario to coach?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I don't want this team to go on a run to just make it and get destroyed in the first round. The issue is change. This team has changed the roster, the assistants, f***ing ownership, and on their third gm.

Coach has remained and problems are mounting.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't want this team to go on a run to just make it and get destroyed in the first round. The issue is change. This team has changed the roster, the assistants, f***ing ownership, and on their third gm.

Coach has remained and problems are mounting.
I'd be fine with making the playoffs or tanking.

I just hope we don't end up where we're headed which is pure mediocrity. Although I guess the one saving grace there is at least we probably don't have to give up next year's pick if we end up with the 13th overall pick or w/e

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Let's be real, Sullivan's gonna be here coaching our 2027 1st overall pick. Gotta teach the young guys how to play "the right way" from such a storied coach.
Bedard dodged a bullet. Instead of scoring at a 40-ish goal pace as a rookie getting top PP unit time, he would have been flanking Carter on the 4th line learning how to play like ZAR.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd be fine with making the playoffs or tanking.

I just hope we don't end up where we're headed which is pure mediocrity. Although I guess the one saving grace there is at least we probably don't have to give up next year's pick if we end up with the 13th overall pick or w/e
If Sullivan remains, we stay mediocre.

Reactions: Pens x

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
I mean, if the team's spiraling and missing the playoffs consecutively, I don't see why people wouldn't waive for a better shot elsewhere. I realize how stupid this team's been with NTCs. They're about to do it again with Jake the rider of coattails.

Karlsson for sure, but why on earth would Guentzel and Rust leave to have their status reset compared to their current Tenured membership on the Board of Directors of the Pittsburgh Country Club?

Cup in place, your spot set in stone, no accountability, high status in the org, nice and comfy vibes. Why would you want to leave?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad