Post-Game Talk: Pens jerk around the Canes

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Next season:
Out: Carter, Acciari, Nieto, Jarry, Reeves, Smith and Harkins
In: DOC, Poulin, Ludwig, St. Ivany, Ponomavev, Blomqvist, Puustinen and Puljujarvi
Free agency- Top six forward
This.

We need to fill the bottom 6, and the 3rd D paring with all the young guys. Get rid of all you said also dump Rakell/Smith. Use the cap savings to go get better top 6 UFA.

Then fix the top 6:
Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
?? - Malkin - ??
DOC - Lars - Puus
Pulju - Pono - Poulin

D...
Petts - Letang
?? - Karlsson
Ludvig - St. Ivany

Coach:
??? (not Sully)

In the situation above, you can move DOC/Puus up to line 2 and move down a top 6 as you see fit.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
D...
Petts - Letang
?? - Karlsson
Ludvig - St. Ivany

I can't picture Sully voluntarily going with that 3rd pairing even if -- or maybe ESPECIALLY if -- it somehow works out and they become a physical force (that's the problem, you see) which also isn't a defensive liability. Too young, too inexperienced. At least that's surely Sully's take.

Also, whether the haters like it or not, Graves is still going to be here unless Doobie takes back a similarly "bad" contract in some deal for him.

So it would be more likely to shake out as:

Petts - Letang
?? - EK
Graves - St. Ivany
Ludvig

That ?? ought to be someone similar to Petts who: actually has a brain, will stay at home and not be a panicky dumpster fire in his own end, and who will allow EK to do his thing (if EK can even remember what that thing is after a year of being Sullied).

That's 100% not POJ in any way, so dump his ass if you can find any takers, and bring in someone who actually belongs in the top 4.

Reactions: akapidots

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
I know what you're saying.......... having said that, I don't know what you're saying.

Kevin Stevens was a bullish, barrel chested, beast of man.
DOC is squishy soft and boyish. Could he develop a scoring touch like Stevens?... If he hit the weight room, added scars to face...... maybe throw in weight gainer3000. Maybe

DOC reminds me of an offensive version of Ville Siren.
1711556701055.jpeg

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I understand at this stage Puljujarvi is put to 4th line in next year's line plans. However, I wouldn't count him out from top-6 or top-9 spots if he keeps doing well.

It's early to get super excited but three goals in the last six games hopefully means he's getting closer to the best form he had during his time in the Oilers.

He scored a goal almost immediately when he ended up with Crosby so there's a chance they will try this at some stage if Puljujarvi keeps doing well. We'll see, but with his contract this should be good value even if he stays in the 4th line.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I didn't catch this last night, but there's a Reddit discussion going on today about how Sid was visibly angry and yelling at Sullivan on the bench multiple times during the game. I would think Sid turning on Sully would be the beginning of the end for his tenure.
Yeah, all it'd take for Sully to get fired is for Sid to even mildly suggest the system/coach isn't right. Not even an outright demand Sully be fired.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I didn't catch this last night, but there's a Reddit discussion going on today about how Sid was visibly angry and yelling at Sullivan on the bench multiple times during the game. I would think Sid turning on Sully would be the beginning of the end for his tenure.
We need a repeat of that famous clip of Bylsma "correcting" Sid after a shift and Sid barking back something to the effect of "I know my f***ing job!" and Bylsma putting his hands up all, "Okay boss, please don't get me fired".

Not too long after Bylsma lost Sid and Geno, which eventually lead to him getting canned.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
We need a repeat of that famous clip of Bylsma "correcting" Sid after a shift and Sid barking back something to the effect of "I know my f***ing job!" and Bylsma putting his hands up all, "Okay boss, please don't get me fired".

Not too long after Bylsma lost Sid and Geno, which eventually lead to him getting canned.

This is the clip.

Not sure who he is barking at.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I can't picture Sully voluntarily going with that 3rd pairing even if -- or maybe ESPECIALLY if -- it somehow works out and they become a physical force (that's the problem, you see) which also isn't a defensive liability. Too young, too inexperienced. At least that's surely Sully's take.

Also, whether the haters like it or not, Graves is still going to be here unless Doobie takes back a similarly "bad" contract in some deal for him.

So it would be more likely to shake out as:

Petts - Letang
?? - EK
Graves - St. Ivany
Ludvig

That ?? ought to be someone similar to Petts who: actually has a brain, will stay at home and not be a panicky dumpster fire in his own end, and who will allow EK to do his thing (if EK can even remember what that thing is after a year of being Sullied).

That's 100% not POJ in any way, so dump his ass if you can find any takers, and bring in someone who actually belongs in the top 4.
I did take Sully out of the picture in my proposal.

However assuming he's still around....
I agree, Sully will take vets over youth all day long. Dubas needs to take the vets out of the picture to force Sully. I honestly believe this is why we got rid of Ruhwedel, so Sully would stop going back to him.

Someone on the boards mentioned NJ fans proposing Graves for Siegenthaler (sp?). That may be an option.

I don't expect Ludvig - St. Ivany to be 100% in game 1. With sheltered minutes, and maybe 20-30 games in, you may see more what they are worth as they develop.

That's a fundamental Sully problem...he doesn't give young people time.

I personally don't mind POJ, but the problem we are lacking shutdown D. Letang/EK/POJ/Graves are all from the cloth, though varying levels of ability.

BTW this is probably why Burns and EK had trouble playing together. You need an OD/DD pairing.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Everyone needs to come to grips that Rust is 100% the problem on his line, and the #1 PP. He is a product of his linemates and drives 0 offense. Usually he turns it over and the play is going the other way. Everyone hoped this would be solved once he got his new contract, but he has just gotten worse.

They should have traded him at the deadline and kept Jake. Would have been plenty of money available for him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It just looks like general frustration. :laugh:

"I'm terrified Sid might want out" :laugh: Dork.
Gotta drum up those clicks somehow. You see Facebook lately?

"Turmoil in Pittsburgh: An unidentified franchise player may be asking for a trade"

*picture of Sid

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Everyone needs to come to grips that Rust is 100% the problem on his line, and the #1 PP. He is a product of his linemates and drives 0 offense. Usually he turns it over and the play is going the other way. Everyone hoped this would be solved once he got his new contract, but he has just gotten worse.

They should have traded him at the deadline and kept Jake. Would have been plenty of money available for him.

I don't think Rust is that bad.

That's how we do things in Pittsburgh.

He's mad that Dubas arrived at Jake's house to inform him of the trade while Jake was cooking a steak dinner.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Rust leads all Penguins forwards in 5v5 xgoals (56.6%), has 23 goals, and a decent point total overall (43).

I dunno what more people would want from him. He's been good.

If you want to bitch about anyone, bitch about Rakell. If Rakell was putting up something close to the season he had last year then maybe we aren't in the position we're at in the standings right now. He's really stank this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad