Post-Game Talk: Pens/Isles Game 1: Home Ice + Good Matchup all for nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
What troubles me about this one is I thought the Isles got better as the game went along and we got worse.

That shouldn't be surprising.

Trotz's system doesn't take as much effort to play in as ours does, any passive trapping style will force the opposing team to fight harder to generate chances.

It's why it's absolutely crucial you get the lead early on them, and make them play with more effort to earn the tie, if they can stay comfortable in their passive system, you're just asking to lose from fatigue as the game goes on.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Tough decision for Sully (assuming Desmith is healthy for next game). Do you risk going back to Jarry? Down 2-o going to Long Island is tough to overcome. Had a similar dilemma last year, and he rode Murray, which in hindsight was the wrong move.

I assume Jarry will get the start again in game 2, and it could be a decision that defines the series.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins since 2017 is a great justification for why going cheap in net doesn't always work for you. The Penguins have been getting "not helping the team win" goaltending non-stop since the 2017 cup win. Jarry today was the exact same that Murray was in past years: decent overall numbers but giving up multiple bad goals against.

You can criticize Sullivan, Matheson, Guentzel, Rust or whoever else all you want, but if the best goaltending you're getting is "his numbers are okay but he's giving up a ton of bad goals", you're not winning a thing in the playoffs. You don't need to be Lundqvist in net, but you can't be giving up 4 bad goals in a game. And that's exactly what happened today and that is exactly what has been happening since the 2017 cup win.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
upload_2021-5-16_12-43-21.png

upload_2021-5-16_12-43-40.png

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
The game shouldn’t have got there because of his own doing but you can’t do anything on that last goal, if you are Murray.

Simply a perfect shot.

Get Malkin back hopefully, push Carter down to L3, with Kap and Franky. Balance the forwards out.

Need to capitalize on chances more and get better goaltending. I’m saying it now, if we average 3 goals a game in this series, there is no way the Pens don’t win it.

(disclaimer for if Jarry is a sieve like he was today, but I have faith that he won’t have another game like today)

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
----Jarry (Lost the game and should lose the net) Couldn't freeze or catch any pucks, looked rattled from 2nd period on.
++BART line (shut down a tough assignment and got the better chances, but not the results due to shit goaltending)
-Carter, McCann, Zucker: Only players below 50% xGF
-Sully for dumb as shit TOI allocations. Team is old and cannot sustain pressure in 3rd periods when they play too much, ie tired.

This was a must win IMO because of the fragility of this team's ego.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Tough decision for Sully (assuming Desmith is healthy for next game). Do you risk going back to Jarry? Down 2-o going to Long Island is tough to overcome. Had a similar dilemma last year, and he rode Murray, which in hindsight was the wrong move.

I assume Jarry will get the start again in game 2, and it could be a decision that defines the series.
No start legace. That was horrible all 4 goals should have been stopped

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
All Geno's fault...........

Did L2 suck?

Did the PP suck?

Enough said.

Ironically, this one was damn near exactly like Game 1 in 2019, at least after the 1st. Crappy goaltending. Late Pens goal to tie it at 3-3. Lose in OT.

BTW, Malkin wouldn't have made a difference. Between his skating and the line Sully would've given him, it would've been a miracle for him not to be a MINUS at ES. MAYBE he helps on the PP, but who knows . . .

IF he can go next game, my lines are GCR and BART (because Sullivan would rather die than toy with either of those) and McCann-Carter-Zucker (or EROD) and Malkin-GOAT-Kappy. But, we all know what Sullivan will do (GOAT with McCann-Carter and a gimpy Malkin centering Zucker-Kappy.

****, it's like the whole damn story is laying out exactly as @ObsessedCreative prophesized.

EDIT: I'd be open to a Malkin-Carter-Kap line too. Make your other bottom 6 line out of GOAT, Zucker, McCann, EROD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad