TSN: Pens Interested in Plekanec

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I'm afraid Logic has failed you. Without knowing our final roster, what injuries could happen to our opposition, who might step up or if our goalie stands on his head you have declared an outcome that you cannot possibly predict.

We may not be favorites but we are a top team and almost every year some team has a surprise run. I cannot understand quitting before you try, it's a loser mentality. Nothing worth achieving is ever easy.

Regardless, Lou is not going to do the Penguins any favours.
Anything can happen in the playoffs. That being said, the odds don't look in the Leafs favour at the moment. But you never know

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I wouldn't think ZAR is super untouchable or anything but I'm not sure they'd be looking to move him at this point either. He's got 4-1-5 in 8 NHL games and he's been filling in at the front of the net on the PP while Hornqvist is hurt. If the Pens can't manage to re-sign Hornqvist they might have Aston-Reese in mind as his replacement.
I couldn't see them trading ZAR just as he is breaking into the league. It would send a terrible message to future agent's/college FA's that the Pen's would be interested in. You wouldn't want ZAR to be an example of a player picking your team specifically, just to be used briefly and traded away to another team. Would be a red flag, imo, to future potential FA's.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Id rather get Plekanec and be able to keep ZAR and Sprong than giving them up for someone better

Sprong will go in a deal before ZAR. One will have more impact in Pittsburgh moving forward and its not Sprong. People continue to grossly overrate him. You don't send him in a deal for a rental, but in a deal for Brassard, absolutely.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Anything can happen in the playoffs. That being said, the odds don't look in the Leafs favour at the moment. But you never know

6th best team in the league? Should we just pack it in because we aren't going to win the President's (which rarely wins)?

Not the favorite, sure, but packing it in before the puck drops is just ridiculous IMO. It's not like Boston and Tampa have dominated us all season. Think the Penguins will pack it in?

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
They were discussing this on the radio last week and it was said Montreal is refusing to retain anything on Pleks. So unless we're taking a bad contract back, he's not going to Pitts. MB needs to be fired before the ink dries if he takes a bad contract not expiring this year back.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Wouldn’t mind him if he came cheap. The Habs would have to retain the maximum for it to work though.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Sounds like a better/cheaper option than Brassard.
lol no brassard is infinitely better than plekanec who is a literal black hole for offense. hes okay defensively. but i dont think hes much of an upgrade over sheahan nowadays.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
They were discussing this on the radio last week and it was said Montreal is refusing to retain anything on Pleks. So unless we're taking a bad contract back, he's not going to Pitts. MB needs to be fired before the ink dries if he takes a bad contract not expiring this year back.

Doubt thats true.
Habs currently have over 7 million in capspace, and will have a whole lot more at the trade deadline.
Habs can easily retain 50% without any problem.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
lol no brassard is infinitely better than plekanec who is a literal black hole for offense. hes okay defensively. but i dont think hes much of an upgrade over sheahan nowadays.
Yeah, they were discussing this on NHLN radio last week. One of the hosts mentioned Pleks to Pittsburgh. Patrick O'Sullivan responded with: "I don't see why they would do that. He isn't any better than Sheahan. He isn't the same player he used to be, he has definitely lost a step, and he makes a tons of money."

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Why not retain if it improves his value? It's not like the Habs can't afford to use money to gain assets. It's off the books next year anyway.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Yeah, they were discussing this on NHLN radio last week. One of the hosts mentioned Pleks to Pittsburgh. Patrick O'Sullivan responded with: "I don't see why they would do that. He isn't any better than Sheahan. He isn't the same player he used to be, he has definitely lost a step, and he makes a tons of money."
radio guys are right, i catch a bit of penguin games here and there and i can tell you right now plekanec isn't worth your time at all. you'll find much better options available at center than him. if youre looking at someone with a bit of offensive flare over sheahan, i'd rather look at david desharnais.

Reactions: td_ice

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Why not retain if it improves his value? It's not like the Habs can't afford to use money to gain assets. It's off the books next year anyway.

Remember when your Leafs were being run by a bunch of incompetent people? Well us Hab fans know exactly how that feels again right now. Even Peanut wasn't this bad.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Remember when your Leafs were being run by a bunch of incompetent people? Well us Hab fans know exactly how that feels again right now. Even Peanut wasn't this bad.
Yeah/ I sympathize. I want the Habs to be good again just for the sake of the rivalry (and original 6 style points). Was hoping you'd have a new GM before the deadline, like a month or so to get acclimatized. Ah well. Maybe before the draft.

Reactions: sheed36

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
radio guys are right, i catch a bit of penguin games here and there and i can tell you right now plekanec isn't worth your time at all. you'll find much better options available at center than him. if youre looking at someone with a bit of offensive flair over sheahan, i'd rather look at david desharnais.
As a habs fan that have seen both Desharnais and Plekanec for a long period I cannot help but laugh.
Plekanec is the cheapest best defensive center you could find. He is good at everything while Desharnais is useless other than on the PP. I think whatever team that get Plekanec would be gladly surprised on how he is good defensively.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Plekanec makes sense. He is a penalty killer, which fills the role lost with Bonino. He could also step up to be a #2, if Sullivan powers up Crosby and Malkin.

With all the conditional pick trades, maybe a 3rd, which becomes a 2nd if Pens win the Cup. Sprong for the salary retention.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Plekanec is a black hole, Kessel would have nightmares pkaying with him.

Plekanec is a very effective defensively 3rd line center and should be acquired to contribute that way. And saying Plekanec is a blackhole offensively is pushing it. He is not as bad as people said. Still on line to a 30 pts season, which is on par with average 3rd line players.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Plekanec is a very effective defensively 3rd line center and should be acquired to contribute that way. And saying Plekanec is a blackhole offensively is pushing it. He is not as bad as people said. Still on line to a 30 pts season, which is on par with average 3rd line players.
Useless on the cycle + useless in front of the net + no vision + shoots in goalies' chests = Black Hole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad