Speculation: Pens Have Spoken to Several Free Agent Goalies (Théodore, Bryz, and the Like)

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You never know it could be a conditioning issue... something the guys here could help him with. I'd definitely take a chance on Halak as he's skilled and has several good years left at his age. You just make sure his workload is closer to 50 games than 60 so he's ready for the playoffs. Put another way, if we had the chance to sign him (STL is guaranteed to be a playoff team so we can forget about a trade unless Allen really does well in his second stint as a backup), we're not in a position to say no. There just aren't many goalies out there who fit the bill for this team (and its next coach potentially), but he's definitely one of them. If not the one.

If Disco and Fleury don't work some magic this season... don't be surprised to see replacements of Martin and Halak. I could easily see Shero making that happen.

Stop making that sound like a good thing!

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
You never know it could be a conditioning issue... something the guys here could help him with. I'd definitely take a chance on Halak as he's skilled and has several good years left at his age. You just make sure his workload is closer to 50 games than 60 so he's ready for the playoffs. Put another way, if we had the chance to sign him (STL is guaranteed to be a playoff team so we can forget about a trade unless Allen really does well in his second stint as a backup), we're not in a position to say no. There just aren't many goalies out there who fit the bill for this team (and its next coach potentially), but he's definitely one of them. If not the one.

If Disco and Fleury don't work some magic this season... don't be surprised to see replacements of Martin and Halak. I could easily see Shero making that happen.

Fun Fact: Jaroslav Halak is only 166 days (5.5 months) younger than Marc-Andre Fleury.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
MAF is a regular season machine, no need to worry there. Zatkoff will be a solid back up. Worry about hte playoffs when we get there, and Theodore isn't a solution to that.

Yes, but what if Fleury gets injured and then what?

People forget also that Theodore is a ****ing headcase and has been his entire career. Having him backup another headcase isn't going to help MAF with his issues.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
You make it sound like what Vokoun did in the playoffs was easy to replicate. It certainly isn't. The Isles punked us. Without Vokoun playing at his highest level he's ever played in the NHL, we're toast in Round 1.

The Penguins dominated Game 5, and while we may have very likely lost game 6 with Fleury in net, we did score 4 and win 4-3 (OT). Vokoun was extremely solid, and he bailed us out from the play of Fleury, but it wasn't irreplaceable and I think its an insult to Vokoun to say its his highest level of his career given how solid and consistent his career has been.

And I don't think its unreasonable to expect for him to be able to continue that play, if he's physically able to, so hopefully he can recover from this.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Fun Fact: Jaroslav Halak is only 166 days (5.5 months) younger than Marc-Andre Fleury.

I know... MAF would have several more years left too, if only he could be counted on. ;)

Luckily Rossi saved the day and reminded all of us that Czech papers are not to be trusted :rolleyes: (actually I said same but was lured in by Handshake's Dark Translation -- it's a weakness), proving that Vokoun is not washed up. Although it will be a few weeks before he even gets to light workouts apparently so might not see him till Thanksgiving or something.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Let's not forget that Zatkoff doesn't have the most glowing reputation for playoff play himself... it's perhaps even worse that Fleury's.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10457

Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]SEASON    TEAM                             LEAGUE   GP   GAA    SV%
-------   ------------------------------   ------   --   ----   ----
2004-05   Sioux City Musketeers            USHL      2   8.88   .706
2008-09   Ontario Reign                    ECHL      7   3.73   .872
2010-11   Manchester Monarchs              AHL       5   3.80   .891
2011-12   Manchester Monarchs              AHL       2   4.34   .865
2012-13   Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins   AHL       5   5.45   .838[/FONT]

It's fairly unusual to see a goalie struggle in playoffs at every level then suddenly put it together in the NHL. Fleury's history isn't much better. Going back to his QMJHL days, he's only put up a .900 or better sv% in 3 out of 14 trips to the playoffs.

Post of the ****ing year.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
Welp....this is what happens when you keep your overpaid tender who has cost you numerous playoff rounds.

Now we're screwed, and Shero's really the only one to blame. Hopefully he can pull some trade magic, because honestly that's the only shot we have if Vokoun is done.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Maybe the Trib will fire Rossi and hire Puck Daddy. The reporting will improve and its bound to entertain, but for the right reasons.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

Apparently the Blues have started shopping Brian Elliott around. That makes it extremely unlikely that they'll let Halak go unless has walks as a UFA.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=72550847&postcount=1

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Apparently the Blues have started shopping Brian Elliott around. That makes it extremely unlikely that they'll let Halak go unless has walks as a UFA.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=72550847&postcount=1

I'd certainly think Elliott would make a good substitute for Vokoun (sub $2m, UFA next year), but we'd probably have to send salary back - unfortunately St. Louis is one of the only teams in the league with a logjam on D that could rival ours, otherwise I'd have already driven to the airport to send off Niskanen.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Ya, I don't think we have the assets to get Elliott. And it doesn't make too much sense to trade assets for a temporary backup when there are so many FA options.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Elliott would cost too much to acquire considering I don't see him as a long-term option. He's a 1A type who hasn't been able to handle the rigors of a full season yet - he's only played more than 44 games once at any level - his exceedingly mediocre 55 game campaign with the Senators in 2009-10. He's worked so well in St. Louis because of a.) that system and b.) He's had Halak to share the load with. Anyone acquiring him should do so planning on re-signing him...we can't really do that. He's not a guy who could take over Fleury's work load, nor could he work in tandem just because of what they'd make as a tandem. He's a guy in a perfect situation in St. Louis who I just don't have faith in being able to shoulder a load. The talk of him going to Edmonton just makes me laugh.

It just makes too much sense to sign a UFA back-up until Vokoun is healthy if you don't think Zatkoff is going to work out. The Pens aren't going to cut the chord on Zatkoff after one game, but if game #2 goes the same way as #1 did I'd expect the replacement search to pick up steam.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad