Recalled/Assigned: Pens have recalled Harry Zolnierczyk from WBS and have placed James Neal on IR

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Jags said:
Well, I think you nailed it on the head. When we traded Staal, we needed Sutter because we didn't really know what we had beyond the superstars. But would it be the end of the world if BOTH Jeffrey and Vitale played every day on this team?

I'm actually a fan of DJ and think he still has a decent bit of untapped potential. He hasn't gotten a great shake, here but obviously the coaches like him or see something in him because he hasn't been moved and he is an obvious candidate, from an outside perspective, to be moved. I think they like his versatility a lot and that he can fill in up and down the lineup, in a pinch. And the Penguins find themselves in a lot of injury-related pinches.

Sutter is a better player, though. And will continue to be.

OR, maybe somebody in the organization gets smart and puts Bennett where he belongs with Malkin and Neal, then slide Jokinen to No. 3 center.

But I realize that ain't happening with this current regime.

I like Jokinen with Malkin. Good chemistry, there. Bennett is no slouch, defensively, but I think Jussi's experience gives him an edge, right now. But not moving forward. Ideally I'd prefer Bennett taking Dupuis spot and bumping Pascal down to Sutter's wing. That'd be a net positive in the lineup, IMO. But it's rather unlikely.

Offensively, he's just kind of there.

Well... again... that should make people comfortable if they are so used to Staal.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
are we seriously pretending that kunitz and dupuis' production isn't a result of playing with crosby? are we pretending that kunitz got invited to team canada on merit and not as a result of playing with crosby?

you don't think crosby could pull 50-60 points out of Bennett right now if given the opportunity?

There is a middle ground here. Duper is fairly productive no matter where he is in the lineup. Kunitz had really solid production throughout his career as well. He has always played with fairly dynamic centers so that's a part of it, but that's the role he fills (complimentary winger to all star center). Point being, Crosby makes a production difference for these guys, just not to the level you are suggesting. He would make a bigger difference if they had the skill to finish his plays or set Sid up. THAT is the problem.

Personally, I think the Canada camp invite for Kunitz was more about finding the right player for Crosby than it was about Crosby making him good.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
And I completely understand that frustration. I share it. But at least Crosby has consistently had the same two guys flanking him who he is familiar and comfortable with, even if it isn't the greatest tactical combination of players.

I would much rather, as a player, be in that situation than the one Malkin has constantly found himself in the last... well... career. Obviously you can't really blame this situation on coaches, GM or the FO, in general... but it's still frustrating as hell. His line is going to struggle badly until the pieces fall back into place, I think. No offense to Jokinen but that line should be relatively easy for just about any halfway competent (and some totally incompetent) team to shut down.

It's an issue of balance, like everything with this team. Crosby's line is too concrete and Malkin's is too inconsistent.

That's why, if JMN works to a certain level, Shero might have to open the wallet and pay the man. Which would help force the move to the young Dmen. Winning all around, right there tbh. A successful line, shame KCD, and the defense moving forward. Right now I have fairly high expectations for JMN, if Neal ever comes back, and they get left alone. Actually, even from an injury perspective Jokinen has a lot of value, as we're currently seeing and have seen in the past.

I think I'd be fine with a third line of Kunitz - Cheapish centre (Jeffrey?) - Dupuis in the near future. Get Crosby a winger and Bennett, and Malkin a consistent LW, possibly Jokinen, for awhile. Dupuis just should be on the third line and Kunitz isn't getting any younger so realistically a replacement should be looked for, and KD have an established chemistry.

Good for Zolnierczyk, he was one of my two preferred call ups.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Kunitz just got invited to the Team Canada Olympic camp, and Dupuis is one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL (who's been a 60 point player with no PP time over the last two years). cannot possibly put Bennett over either one of them.

They've been mediocre at best but it's been five games. I'm pretty sure people wanted to slash CK's car's tires after five games last year too. Bennett's got tools and skill but he's got a lot to prove still too.

There's this guy named Sidney Crosby who they happen to play with. I hear he's pretty good at hockey. That may have something to do with Kunitz's numbers. If you look at the split between Kunitz's point totals the first 35 games of the season and then his point totals after Sid got hurt, it tells a lot.

Dupuis is a third liner. He is average offensively, can't create anything on his own, and has reverted back to having hands of stone. It's nice that he's good defensively (I think one of the best defensive forwards in the game may be an exaggeration) and it's nice that he's fast. That's what I like in my third liners.

As Shady mentioned, Bennett got invited to the Team USA camp. But we all know the only reason Kunitz was invited was because of playing with Sid and the 'chemistry' factor. He is by far the least skilled winger on that camp roster.

Bennett has a lot to prove, but in the games he's played he has shown that he is strong along the boards, good defensively, has great puck possession skills, and he has incredible vision, creativity, and makes plays that only Sid and Geno could make on this team.

I think it's very possible to put Bennett over Dupuis right now, and I see no problem with the argument that he's better than Kunitz as well.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's an issue of balance, like everything with this team. Crosby's line is too concrete and Malkin's is too inconsistent.

That's why, if JMN works to a certain level, Shero might have to open the wallet and pay the man. Which would help force the move to the young Dmen. Winning all around, right there tbh. A successful line, shame KCD, and the defense moving forward. Right now I have fairly high expectations for JMN, if Neal ever comes back, and they get left alone. Actually, even from an injury perspective Jokinen has a lot of value, as we're currently seeing and have seen in the past.

I think I'd be fine with a third line of Kunitz - Cheapish centre (Jeffrey?) - Dupuis in the near future. Get Crosby a winger and Bennett, and Malkin a consistent LW, possibly Jokinen, for awhile. Dupuis just should be on the third line and Kunitz isn't getting any younger so realistically a replacement should be looked for, and KD have an established chemistry.

Good for Zolnierczyk, he was one of my two preferred call ups.

I'm all about jumpstarting a youth movement on the blueline. For many reasons. But it's almost as unrealistic as expecting the top line getting re-tooled. That's just not how this team does things. Which is going to present them with a conundrum as soon as next season. But luckily Shero is generally a pretty good trading GM... so we'll just have to see.

As for the rest... I don't hate the idea of transitioning Kunitz and Dupuis to the third line. Where I think one is already ideally suited for and the other shortly will be. But that's just not realistic, either. And yeah... I'm also all about bringing Jokinen back into the fold, so long as it's fairly reasonable. He seems to like it here and is yet another forward who provides great flexibility in filling a variety of roles.

And despite his rep... I'm happy to see Harry Z got the nod, as well. He was outstanding in camp and preseason, I thought and obviously carried that over to the start of his season in WB/S.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
As Shady mentioned, Bennett got invited to the Team USA camp. But we all know the only reason Kunitz was invited was because of playing with Sid and the 'chemistry' factor. He is by far the least skilled winger on that camp roster.

Well... to be totally fair, here... I seriously doubt Bennett was invited based entirely on merit, either. The Penguins' brass are very heavily involved in the US's national team.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
I guess you don't see the potential in Beau Bennett...it's ok, our coach doesn't either.

I think playing with a guy named Sidney Crosby has a LOT to do with it, don't you think? It seems we talk more about what those two do for Sid, when in reality it's all about what Sid does for them. They're basically Esa Tikkanen to Sid's Wayne Gretzky.

Oh sure Bennett has a lot to prove, but how in the hell is he going to prove it if every Tom, Dick and Jussi get preferred over him?

How is ANY winger going to be able to develop in this organization?

Where did I ever say Beau doesn't have potential? Please read my posts more carefully. I love Beau, but that doesn't mean he's better than Dupuis or CK right now.

I'm not arguing whether he deserves time or not, I've said nothing about that. He should be a staple on the second line.

are we seriously pretending that kunitz and dupuis' production isn't a result of playing with crosby? are we pretending that kunitz got invited to team canada on merit and not as a result of playing with crosby?

you don't think crosby could pull 50-60 points out of Bennett right now if given the opportunity?

No one's pretending that, so no.

Dupuis produced, and has produced, a huge amount the last two seasons without Sid as well. At even-strength alone, I might add. Kunitz did get invited to the Olympic camp based on merit. His chemistry with Sid helps in that regard a lot, too.

Obviously playing with Sid helps, but it's not like playing with Sid automatically makes wingers PPG, as we've seen.

Criminal underrating of Dupuis around here, as usual. He truly is one of the best defensive wingers and he's tenacious as hell as a forechecker. I swear, you'd think no winger ever misses opportunities, ever. Like, if we got Ovechkin or Nash, they would just bury every possible chance.

And Kunitz has been a steady 55-60 point guy his whole career with an even better year last year. I don't know how anyone can say Bennet is better right now than either of that. Maybe after this year if he gets his chances he will be, but he's not right now.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm all about jumpstarting a youth movement on the blueline. For many reasons. But it's almost as unrealistic as expecting the top line getting re-tooled. That's just not how this team does things. Which is going to present them with a conundrum as soon as next season. But luckily Shero is generally a pretty good trading GM... so we'll just have to see.

As for the rest... I don't hate the idea of transitioning Kunitz and Dupuis to the third line. Where I think one is already ideally suited for and the other shortly will be. But that's just not realistic, either. And yeah... I'm also all about bringing Jokinen back into the fold, so long as it's fairly reasonable. He seems to like it here and is yet another forward who provides great flexibility in filling a variety of roles.

And despite his rep... I'm happy to see Harry Z got the nod, as well. He was outstanding in camp and preseason, I thought and obviously carried that over to the start of his season in WB/S.

Jokinen's salary coupled with Letang's and Dupuis' could force it, not just retooling Crosby's line. Not to mention the goalie situation and Sutter or his replacement.

As far as Kunitz and Dupuis, that really depends on who the coach is in the future and how much influence someone can have on Bylsma if he's still here.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Well... to be totally fair, here... I seriously doubt Bennett was invited based entirely on merit, either. The Penguins' brass are very heavily involved in the US's national team.

Oh, I know. I'm just saying that it shouldn't be used as an argument in either one's favor.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

That's my point, as well. Bennett could produce Kunitz numbers next to Crosby. TODAY. So imagine what an in-your-prime Bennett can produce. We'll never know, because Kunitz will be a 40-year-old first liner the way things are going.

I'm actually a fan of DJ and think he still has a decent bit of untapped potential. He hasn't gotten a great shake, here but obviously the coaches like him or see something in him because he hasn't been moved and he is an obvious candidate, from an outside perspective, to be moved. I think they like his versatility a lot and that he can fill in up and down the lineup, in a pinch. And the Penguins find themselves in a lot of injury-related pinches.

Sutter is a better player, though. And will continue to be.

I like Jokinen with Malkin. Good chemistry, there. Bennett is no slouch, defensively, but I think Jussi's experience gives him an edge, right now. But not moving forward. Ideally I'd prefer Bennett taking Dupuis spot and bumping Pascal down to Sutter's wing. That'd be a net positive in the lineup, IMO. But it's rather unlikely.

Sure, Sutter's better than Jeffrey. But we're a cap-strapped team and we could use some relief. Sutter doesn't bring enough to the table for me. Where you and I disagree is what Staal brought to this team. It was a LOT more than this. And it's not the numbers that tell the tale, either.

At the end of the day, Brandon Sutter is highly replaceable and with the Sutter name behind him, could fetch us a nice return.

There is a middle ground here. Duper is fairly productive no matter where he is in the lineup. Kunitz had really solid production throughout his career as well. He has always played with fairly dynamic centers so that's a part of it, but that's the role he fills (complimentary winger to all star center). Point being, Crosby makes a production difference for these guys, just not to the level you are suggesting. He would make a bigger difference if they had the skill to finish his plays or set Sid up. THAT is the problem.

Personally, I think the Canada camp invite for Kunitz was more about finding the right player for Crosby than it was about Crosby making him good.

It's all part of Bylsma's master plan. He already &^%$ed Iginla up, eliminating him from any potential Team Canada plans. Now, he's keeping Kunitz and Dupuis with Crosby so that they consider putting them on the Canadian roster, too. Kunitz already is on the radar. He has the Canadian regime wondering whether it takes a 'certain type' of player to play with Sid now, since he has kept KCD together for so long. So now, Canada MAY actually want to keep a Kunitz over a Taylor Hall or a Milan Lucic just because he plays with Sid all the time. Well Done, Bylsma. Master stroke for Team USA.

Yeah, and they love him so much that he gets demoted every time he makes ONE mistake.

Where did I ever say Beau doesn't have potential? Please read my posts more carefully. I love Beau, but that doesn't mean he's better than Dupuis or CK right now.

I'm not arguing whether he deserves time or not, I've said nothing about that. He should be a staple on the second line.

You said a 32-year-old Bennett wouldn't be able to out-produce Kunitz and Dupuis...which is just a dumb statement to make.

Obviously playing with Sid helps, but it's not like playing with Sid automatically makes wingers PPG, as we've seen.

That's a coaching problem, period. Before this coach, Crosby was lighting up the NHL on lines such as: LeClair-Crosby-Recchi and Hilbert-Crosby-Armstrong. And let's not forget Jani Rita.

This idea that this line must remain intact is just Bylsma bandwagon crap.

Criminal underrating of Dupuis around here, as usual. He truly is one of the best defensive wingers and he's tenacious as hell as a forechecker. I swear, you'd think no winger ever misses opportunities, ever. Like, if we got Ovechkin or Nash, they would just bury every possible chance.

Ummm, yes. I will be the first to say that if we acquired Ovechkin to play with Sid, they would bury every pass Ovi received from Sid. No swings and misses from Ovi like we get from Dupuis, who is like the Adam Dunn of the NHL.

And Kunitz has been a steady 55-60 point guy his whole career with an even better year last year. I don't know how anyone can say Bennett is better right now than either of that. Maybe after this year if he gets his chances he will be, but he's not right now.

But he won't get his chances as long as KCD is a staple, so it's easy to continue to keep Bennett down and think he can't do this, or he can't do that.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
You said a 32-year-old Bennett wouldn't be able to out-produce Kunitz and Dupuis...which is just a dumb statement to make.

Which actually wasn't what I said at all, please go back and re-read.

That's a coaching problem, period. Before this coach, Crosby was lighting up the NHL on lines such as: LeClair-Crosby-Recchi and Hilbert-Crosby-Armstrong. And let's not forget Jani Rita.
This idea that this line must remain intact is just Bylsma bandwagon crap.

Which just speaks to Crosby's ability to produce, and nothing more.

But he won't get his chances as long as KCD is a staple, so it's easy to continue to keep Bennett down and think he can't do this, or he can't do that.

I'm not keeping Bennett down. All I know, and all we know, is that Kunitz and Dupuis produce, and produce pretty well. Bennett looks good out there and I love it, but it's all potential. Can he hit 40 points? 50? 60? We don't know. A problem with HF is that the potential is taken as fact.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sure, Sutter's better than Jeffrey. But we're a cap-strapped team and we could use some relief. Sutter doesn't bring enough to the table for me. Where you and I disagree is what Staal brought to this team. It was a LOT more than this. And it's not the numbers that tell the tale, either.

At the end of the day, Brandon Sutter is highly replaceable and with the Sutter name behind him, could fetch us a nice return.

Sutter isn't exactly bankrolling luxury yachts, here. And I don't see his salary escalating steeply on his next contract, either. So long as he wants to be a Penguin. He hasn't been eye-popping in his time here but then again... his time here has been very, very brief and he's already gone through something like 4 or 5 regular linemates in that short window. Patience.

Staal's only real advantage was that he was bigger. That's the list. His offensive acumen might be slightly higher but (and this is to his credit) he creates most of his offense by... you guessed it... being big. That's a nice asset and one that you obviously can't teach. But it's not 4-million-extra-dollars-nice.

I'm sure someone will bring up all the "intangibles" that he brought. But that's basically just a nice word for "He seems to contribute semi-regularly... but watching him play -- we're not so sure how or why."

Yeah, and they love him so much that he gets demoted every time he makes ONE mistake.

Not related. I'm referring more to Shero. I think he wanted Beau invited simply because of the experience. He's doing his part (as he sees it -- and I agree) in helping develop him as a player.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Which actually wasn't what I said at all, please go back and re-read.

"If Bennett was a 32-year old NHLer, nobody would hold that opinion that he's better than them today."

That's what you said. So what are you saying, exactly? A 32-year-old Bennett, is he a 32-year-old journeyman? Because if a 32-year-old Bennett would be used like Bylsma uses him, he'd be a journeyman. So what kind of 32-year-old Bennett are you envisioning here?

Bottom line: a 32-year-old Bennett SHOULD out-produce what Kunitz and Dupuis are currently doing...otherwise, we screwed up yet another winger project.

I'm not keeping Bennett down. All I know, and all we know, is that Kunitz and Dupuis produce, and produce pretty well. Bennett looks good out there and I love it, but it's all potential. Can he hit 40 points? 50? 60? We don't know. A problem with HF is that the potential is taken as fact.

Potential is only potential when the player is held back, and not given the OPPORTUNITY to shine.

I've seen enough of Bennett to simply salivate at the thought of 82 games next to either Sid or Geno.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
"If Bennett was a 32-year old NHLer, nobody would hold that opinion that he's better than them today."

That's what you said. So what are you saying, exactly? A 32-year-old Bennett, is he a 32-year-old journeyman? Because if a 32-year-old Bennett would be used like Bylsma uses him, he'd be a journeyman. So what kind of 32-year-old Bennett are you envisioning here?

Bottom line: a 32-year-old Bennett SHOULD out-produce what Kunitz and Dupuis are currently doing...otherwise, we screwed up yet another winger project.

I'm saying if the Bennett on our team was a 32-year old instead of 21 or whatever Beau is, nobody would be saying he's better than our other two wingers. I've said and am saying that people on these boards fall in love with potential and youth every time over experience and veterans.

If Beau turns in to a Kunitz-level producer, nobody in the organization would ever consider that a screw up.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I'm fine with Kunitz, Dupuis, and Neal as 3 of our 4 top 6 wingers. Jussi Jokinen, if he continues his play deserves the 4th spot. Beau Bennett will be a great player, but as of now he's nowhere near as good as those guys. Not only are they still better offensively, they have experience and play well rounded games. Pens are trying to win now, i have no problem with Bennett on the 3rd line for this season. He'll be on the top 2 lines when he brings more to the table than our current top 6 wingers.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Like most people here i do like BB, but i do think he is overrated on this board, he makes some nice plays, but i don't see him being much of a goal scorer in the NHL, he only has 3 goals in 31 NHL games.

I don't think BB would be great with Sid, BB and Sid are both pass first players, i think BB would be much better playing on a line with Neal who is more of a goal scorer.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Sutter isn't exactly bankrolling luxury yachts, here. And I don't see his salary escalating steeply on his next contract, either. So long as he wants to be a Penguin. He hasn't been eye-popping in his time here but then again... his time here has been very, very brief and he's already gone through something like 4 or 5 regular linemates in that short window. Patience.

Staal's only real advantage was that he was bigger. That's the list. His offensive acumen might be slightly higher but (and this is to his credit) he creates most of his offense by... you guessed it... being big. That's a nice asset and one that you obviously can't teach. But it's not 4-million-extra-dollars-nice.

I'm sure someone will bring up all the "intangibles" that he brought. But that's basically just a nice word for "He seems to contribute semi-regularly... but watching him play -- we're not so sure how or why."

Well, it's not really $4 million though, is it? Unless you believe Sutter will stay where he is salary-wise once he hits RFA status. Staal made what, $4 million, before this latest contract right? So it's actually a $2 million difference between the two.

Was he worth $2 million more? Hell yeah. We were a FAR better team with Staal as our No. 3 center. We were harder to play against, much harder to game plan for and much deeper. What happened against Boston last year doesn't happen if Staal is centering Line 3. Think back to '09, Detroit put a blanket on us too for much of that series. But you couldn't keep the entire top nine down forever when Staal was here. That's what was lost.

Sutter is just there, as you say. You never have to game plan for our third line anymore. We lost a ton without Staal. And I'll give Cooke and Kennedy some props too because they played a role in it as well.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm fine with Kunitz, Dupuis, and Neal as 3 of our 4 top 6 wingers. Jussi Jokinen, if he continues his play deserves the 4th spot. Beau Bennett will be a great player, but as of now he's nowhere near as good as those guys. Not only are they still better offensively, they have experience and play well rounded games. Pens are trying to win now, i have no problem with Bennett on the 3rd line for this season. He'll be on the top 2 lines when he brings more to the table than our current top 6 wingers.

How does one "bring more to the table" without getting time to do so?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Like most people here i do like BB, but i do think he is overrated on this board, he makes some nice plays, but i don't see him being much of a goal scorer in the NHL, he only has 3 goals in 31 NHL games.

I don't think BB would be great with Sid, BB and Sid are both pass first players, i think BB would be much better playing on a line with Neal who is more of a goal scorer.

Context, cheese pastry, context. Bennett played mostly 4th lines minutes with Gladams and company. Did you really expect him to light the lamp there? Not to mention, BB is a playmaker. He will likely be a 20 goal, 35-50 assist guy in his prime.

BB would work well with Sid because Sid needs some skill on his line. Two stone hand wingers will not work. Sid may be a pass first guy (I'm not sure that's necessarily the case), but he's a fairly straight line player. Having a guy that can pull up in traffic, make a move to open up space for him will be huge. I think they would be great together.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
How does one "bring more to the table" without getting time to do so?
By playing on the 3rd line. If he's playing well in all facets of the game it will be apparent, no matter what line he's on. Notice how guys like Hilbert, Armstrong, Recchi, etc. were all replaced on the top lines as soon as someone more capable was available. When Bennett's better than Dupuis or Kunitz he will replace them.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Was he worth $2 million more? Hell yeah. We were a FAR better team with Staal as our No. 3 center. We were harder to play against, much harder to game plan for and much deeper. What happened against Boston last year doesn't happen if Staal is centering Line 3. Think back to '09, Detroit put a blanket on us too for much of that series. But you couldn't keep the entire top nine down forever when Staal was here. That's what was lost.

The team was harder to play against because both Crosby and Malkin were firing on all cylinders when it counted. And the roster, as a whole, were tougher to play against. And the coaching staff was still in a phase where they basically just sort of said "Hey... I'm not Therrien! Run wild, boys!" instead of seemingly actively sabotaging the lineup and gameplan playoff series after playoff series.

But if you want to attribute it to one guy who is, in the end, a mediocre second line center. That's fine, too. I won't piss on your brainfire.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think the biggest loss with Staal was that they still haven't adapted to not having Staal. They got lucky with him leaving but now they have to come up with a new plan, *cough*stackingthetop6*cough*. The injury pandemic has remained ridiculous, which probably doesn't help.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think the biggest loss with Staal was that they still haven't adapted to not having Staal. They got lucky with him leaving but now they have to come up with a new plan, *cough*stackingthetop6*cough*. The injury pandemic has remained ridiculous, which probably doesn't help.

Ab. So. Lutely.

One thing I agree wholeheartedly with (and I think mpp brought this up in another thread?) is now that Staal has departed... the emphasis needs to be building around Crosby and Malkin. Needs to be. It needed to start happening, like... yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad