Recalled/Assigned: Pens have recalled Harry Zolnierczyk from WBS and have placed James Neal on IR

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I love Beau as much as the next guy, but calling him our second best winger is ridiculous.

I've seen Z a couple times in WBS. Good forechecker, brings some energy. He should be on the fourth line but that line really is playing well so why break it up. Hopefully he's on the third.

Why is that ridiculous?

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Why is that ridiculous?

Because he's not. Granted, Kunitz and Dupuis haven't been at their best, but both are better than Bennett at this time.

If Bennett was a 32-year old NHLer, nobody would hold that opinion that he's better than them today.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I love Beau as much as the next guy, but calling him our second best winger is ridiculous.

I've seen Z a couple times in WBS. Good forechecker, brings some energy. He should be on the fourth line but that line really is playing well so why break it up. Hopefully he's on the third.

I should have said "skilled wingers". You are correct though.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Because he's not. Granted, Kunitz and Dupuis haven't been at their best, but both are better than Bennett at this time.

If Bennett was a 32-year old NHLer, nobody would hold that opinion that he's better than them today.

Personally, I disagree. Bennett is at least as good as Dupuis at this time (I would argue he's currently better). When Kunitz isn't playing like complete ****, he's probably better right now, but Bennett has at least been better than him so far this season.

If Bennett gets consistent top six playing time this year, I don't think anyone will be able to make the argument that he's not better than both of them.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

No they aren't.

I'm not even sure what that last sentence is trying to say.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
haha, i know most people on here don't like Glass and Adams, but even the haters gotta admit the 4th line has been great this year.

And you also have to admit that a) it's too EARLY to tell if they really don't suck donkey balls and b) we haven't really played anybody good yet, including tonight's clash.

If Bennett was 32 years old, Bylsma would play him more. If he were 32 and on another team, he'd put up numbers that would put Kunitz and Dupuis to shame. Course, if he were his current age and on another team, he'd be doing that already.

So from the looks of things, Brandon Sutter is now our fourth-line center (Zolnierczyk and Jeffrey). Can't say he hasn't deserved it. Let's trade his ass while he still has some "Jordan Staal appeal" for some teams.

We can more than get by with some combination of Jeffrey and Jokinen as our No. 3 center.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No Bennett and Neal officially on whiffle ball IR. Terrific. The second line is already a trainwreck and the season has barely started. Oh well... better now than later, I guess. Even if it never seems to end.

I can't help but think Bennett's injury is relatively minor, seeing as how he tried a few shifts as that last game went along. Then again... so did Neal at the start of the season.

stefanh

Aug 13, 2006
Gothenburg
Kunitz was a PPG last season and have been solid at around 25 goals and 55-60 points for a while.

To say that Bennett would put up much better numbers than that on another team right now is nothing short of stupid.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I would rather have seen Megna called up to play with Malkin and Jokinen and kept Kobasew on the 3rd line. Imo the 3rd line have been really promising,

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
No they aren't.

I'm not even sure what that last sentence is trying to say.

That HF falls in love with young players and potential, and sides with them over proven, established NHLers pretty much 99/100, and this board is a glaring indictment of that.

Personally, I disagree. Bennett is at least as good as Dupuis at this time (I would argue he's currently better). When Kunitz isn't playing like complete ****, he's probably better right now, but Bennett has at least been better than him so far this season.

If Bennett gets consistent top six playing time this year, I don't think anyone will be able to make the argument that he's not better than both of them.

Kunitz just got invited to the Team Canada Olympic camp, and Dupuis is one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL (who's been a 60 point player with no PP time over the last two years). cannot possibly put Bennett over either one of them.

They've been mediocre at best but it's been five games. I'm pretty sure people wanted to slash CK's car's tires after five games last year too. Bennett's got tools and skill but he's got a lot to prove still too.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No Bennett and Neal officially on whiffle ball IR. Terrific. The second line is already a trainwreck and the season has barely started. Oh well... better now than later, I guess. Even if it never seems to end.

I can't help but think Bennett's injury is relatively minor, seeing as how he tried a few shifts as that last game went along. Then again... so did Neal at the start of the season.

Yeah for all the talk about Sid's wingers holding him back and wanting to break up KCD (which I am on board with), there IS something to be said about continuity. The revolving door of wingers for Geno has to be frustrating.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Kunitz just got invited to the Team Canada Olympic camp, and Dupuis is one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL (who's been a 60 point player with no PP time over the last two years). cannot possibly put Bennett over either one of them.

They've been mediocre at best but it's been five games. I'm pretty sure people wanted to slash CK's car's tires after five games last year too. Bennett's got tools and skill but he's got a lot to prove still too.

Well Bennett just got invited to the USA Olympic camp. Of course, I know the difference in talent and depth between the 2 countries. That said, you know Kunitz was invited based on the "has chemistry with Crosby" factor and not because he is one of Canada's best 20 forwards. Kunitz is a better NHL'er today, given his experience and past performance. I will give you that. I just wouldn't be using the Olympic invite as some kind of proof.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I guess I don't really understand the Sutter angst. Not directed solely at you, Jags... I've just seen this in Penguinsland a lot, lately. This is basically the player he was in Carolina. Inconsistent offensively but very good at cleaning up his own end. Not the greatest playmaker in the world but possesses an excellent shot (when he is in a position to use it). He's never gonna put guys through the glass... but I've actually noticed a slight increase in his physical play, this season. I had hopes that he would blossom a bit more offensively, here and it hasn't happened yet. But I still think he's a lock for your pretty standard 3rd line center numbers by the end of the year. Maybe a bit heavier on the goal side and lighter on the assist side, with him.

People don't like him because he doesn't play like the typical third line center and isn't a big bruiser. He gets knocked around too much in the corners and needs to do a better job actually winning some puck battles. But he largely gets the job done every night and I really do think there is some room for growth, there. I'm very willing to wait him out a bit longer before I start throwing him under the bus. He's still a relative unknown, on this team. And still young.

Plus... he's still got plenty of "Jordan Staal appeal" (who he is currently outscoring 3 to 1, FWIW) -- he's gone 5 straight games without scoring a goal and generally looking like he's totally forgotten how that's done. I bet that changes tonight... for the record.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Well Bennett just got invited to the USA Olympic camp. Of course, I know the difference in talent and depth between the 2 countries. That said, you know Kunitz was invited based on the "has chemistry with Crosby" factor and not because he is one of Canada's best 20 forwards. Kunitz is a better NHL'er today, given his experience and past performance. I will give you that. I just wouldn't be using the Olympic invite as some kind of proof.

That's true, but it does speak to the kind of year he had last season (mostly with Sid, obviously, but a great year nonetheless). Also didn't realize Bennett was invited to the USA camp, good for him.

To continue off-topic talk, I'm ok with Sutter as the third-line centre too. I think people really just expected him to blossom offensively. He can stand to put on weight but he's smart and makes the right plays.. pretty much what you want out of your third-line C.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Kunitz was a PPG last season and have been solid at around 25 goals and 55-60 points for a while.

To say that Bennett would put up much better numbers than that on another team right now is nothing short of stupid.

I guess you don't see the potential in Beau Bennett...it's ok, our coach doesn't either.

I think playing with a guy named Sidney Crosby has a LOT to do with it, don't you think? It seems we talk more about what those two do for Sid, when in reality it's all about what Sid does for them. They're basically Esa Tikkanen to Sid's Wayne Gretzky.

Oh sure Bennett has a lot to prove, but how in the hell is he going to prove it if every Tom, Dick and Jussi get preferred over him?

How is ANY winger going to be able to develop in this organization?

I guess I don't really understand the Sutter angst. Not directed solely at you, Jags... I've just seen this in Penguinsland a lot, lately. This is basically the player he was in Carolina. Inconsistent offensively but very good at cleaning up his own end. Not the greatest playmaker in the world but possesses an excellent shot (when he is in a position to use it). He's never gonna put guys through the glass... but I've actually noticed a slight increase in his physical play, this season. I had hopes that he would blossom a bit more offensively, here and it hasn't happened yet. But I still think he's a lock for your pretty standard 3rd line center numbers by the end of the year. Maybe a bit heavier on the goal side and lighter on the assist side, with him.

People don't like him because he doesn't play like the typical third line center and isn't a big bruiser. He gets knocked around too much in the corners and needs to do a better job actually winning some puck battles. But he largely gets the job done every night and I really do think there is some room for growth, there. I'm very willing to wait him out a bit longer before I start throwing him under the bus. He's still a relative unknown, on this team. And still young.

Plus... he's still got plenty of "Jordan Staal appeal" (who he is currently outscoring 3 to 1, FWIW) -- he's gone 5 straight games without scoring a goal and generally looking like he's totally forgotten how that's done. I bet that changes tonight... for the record.

Well, I think you nailed it on the head. When we traded Staal, we needed Sutter because we didn't really know what we had beyond the superstars. But would it be the end of the world if BOTH Jeffrey and Vitale played every day on this team?

OR, maybe somebody in the organization gets smart and puts Bennett where he belongs with Malkin and Neal, then slide Jokinen to No. 3 center.

But I realize that ain't happening with this current regime.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah for all the talk about Sid's wingers holding him back and wanting to break up KCD (which I am on board with), there IS something to be said about continuity. The revolving door of wingers for Geno has to be frustrating.

And I completely understand that frustration. I share it. But at least Crosby has consistently had the same two guys flanking him who he is familiar and comfortable with, even if it isn't the greatest tactical combination of players.

I would much rather, as a player, be in that situation than the one Malkin has constantly found himself in the last... well... career. Obviously you can't really blame this particular situation on coaches, GM or the FO, in general... but it's still frustrating as hell. His line is going to struggle badly until the pieces fall back into place, I think. No offense to Jokinen but that line should be relatively easy for just about any halfway competent (and some totally incompetent) team to shut down.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's true, but it does speak to the kind of year he had last season (mostly with Sid, obviously, but a great year nonetheless). Also didn't realize Bennett was invited to the USA camp, good for him.

To continue off-topic talk, I'm ok with Sutter as the third-line centre too. I think people really just expected him to blossom offensively. He can stand to put on weight but he's smart and makes the right plays.. pretty much what you want out of your third-line C.

Yeah I didn't mean to take away from the year Kunitz' had. He was great offensively and he is the perfect complimentary winger for both of our stars.

As for Sutter, he's a good third line center. I just expected a little more in terms of anchoring his line. He's great defensively and doesn't make many mistakes. Offensively, he's just kind of there.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
And I completely understand that frustration. I share it. But at least Crosby has consistently had the same two guys flanking him who he is familiar and comfortable with, even if it isn't the greatest tactical combination of players.

I would much rather, as a player, be in that situation than the one Malkin has constantly found himself in the last... well... career. Obviously you can't really blame this situation on coaches, GM or the FO, in general... but it's still frustrating as hell. His line is going to struggle badly until the pieces fall back into place, I think. No offense to Jokinen but that line should be relatively easy for just about any halfway competent (and some totally incompetent) team to shut down.

Agreed all around.

doob

Jan 9, 2011
Shelly Anderson‏@pgshelly6m
Neal BTW is on long-term IR retro to Game 1. Means he's out at least six more games, including tonight. #Penguins

Fordy

May 28, 2008
are we seriously pretending that kunitz and dupuis' production isn't a result of playing with crosby? are we pretending that kunitz got invited to team canada on merit and not as a result of playing with crosby?

you don't think crosby could pull 50-60 points out of Bennett right now if given the opportunity?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad